• Later today, the site will be offline for essential server upgrades. This upgrade should run without any problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Customising Rotary Machine? Building own machine?

learner

Basic
First Name
- Just wondering if this would somehow work? For example if I’m using an FK Irons Xion or any pen machine. If the oem motor ever gets old is it possible to remove the motor out and replace it with better brand motors in the future?

- Also I plan to try learn and build my own rotary pen machine. Does anyone know where to get already made pen frames from? And is it easy as just dropping a motor in? Do all motors fit? If someone who has had experience in this please give some info.

cheers

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
anything is possible w/the right engineering. only problem i can see w/replacing a motor is that if a pen is engineered for purpose - the engineer probably chose the motor for a reason. more doesn't always equal more better-er.

i personally wouldn't do it w/an FK or Axys or something. a CNC or Bronc??? I'd give that a go maybe.

i haven't seen blank frames for pens. i would imagine that isn't really practical - these aren't prison machines on a toothbrush frame. again - engineered for a purpose with purpose.

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
- Just wondering if this would somehow work? For example if I’m using an FK Irons Xion or any pen machine. If the oem motor ever gets old is it possible to remove the motor out and replace it with better brand motors in the future?

- Also I plan to try learn and build my own rotary pen machine. Does anyone know where to get already made pen frames from? And is it easy as just dropping a motor in? Do all motors fit? If someone who has had experience in this please give some info.

cheers
Q1: probably not, size is one problem, connections another, axle size another. Most gears are mounted by pressure on the axle, do you have the right tools to do that? Most of these pen machines have some glue used to fix everything to the enclosure, removing that is one thing, making a new setup just about the same, another. And while we're on the subject of gear, the gears that are used to connect to the motor are usually custom made for that type, and you won't be able to remove them without breaking something, thus remounting is virtually impossible.
Have you ever seen a DVD drive from the inside? They use two small motors, one to open/close the tray and another to move the laser head. Both use nylon gears pressed onto a dented part of the motor axle. If any of these nylon gears fail it's usually because the nylon part has been cracked open and doesn't fix to the dented axle. Impossible to repair and for $19 you can buy a new drive without problem.

Q2: Never seen any kit machines, maybe they exist but I doubt very much if it's worth the trouble. Like gadsden1776 says, for the price of a new machine, hardly worth the doing it yourself. A CNC Q2 clone can be bought for about $30, so why bother?

Last edited:

samuelvadio

Basic
First Name
Alexandre
Yeah I dont think there is any advantage from making your own pen style rotary. Just a regular rotary is already very hard to get right, you have to understand a lot about electronics and tattooing to pull this off.
Just what you would spend for all the gear you would need just to adjust components and measure them you’ll be buying several Cheyenne’s for that price, I don’t think it’s worth it as in the end I’m sure a Cheyenne will be better and you will have spent much more.

if you want to experiment building I would say trying with coils is the way to go, but also very hard if you’re not a experienced tattooist.

learner

Basic
First Name
Hmmm there are CNC rotary pen frames being sold so I was thinking it might be easy to build your own pen with custom motor. I kind of believe that these big rotary companies are using frames from China I have seen many frames that look similar.

When buying a motor like a Maxon or whatever, doesn’t it come with cams? I thought building a rotary all you need is a motor and a cam and rca connection? Didn’t think it would be complex. I am wanting to learn to build my own because the big companies are kind of ripping people off and when the machine dies I can just repair it without having to send it overseas and wait a month to get it back etc.

Last edited:

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
Hmmm there are CNC rotary pen frames being sold so I was thinking it might be easy to build your own pen with custom motor. I kind of believe that these big rotary companies are using frames from China I have seen many frames that look similar.

When buying a motor like a Maxon or whatever, doesn’t it come with cams? I thought building a rotary all you need is a motor and a cam and rca connection? Didn’t think it would be complex. I am wanting to learn to build my own because the big companies are kind of ripping people off and when the machine dies I can just repair it without having to send it overseas and wait a month to get it back etc.
I've seen several motors on sale but none with any cam or gear which is logical as the motor manufacturer doesn't know what you're gonna do with that motor. They don't sell them just for tattoo machines, these are used in a lot of other equipment. RC racing cars and toys for example.

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
Without getting into technical discussions regarding motor characteristics just have a look at this Maxon motor selection chart, they will all fit a frame but what do you want it to do, does it need to be hi torque to compensate for a linear linkage compared to a direct drive cam, will it run from a standard power supply or will it require a boost start, some motors such as the Bishop motors are made exclusively for Bishop so not available direct from Maxon or Faulhaber.
Many machine manufacturers invest a lot of time and research in testing motors, some motors such as the ones rotaryworks use are just standard cheap MFA motors easily available.

Remove Ads

Attachments

• B15E34D4-674F-4B06-99F0-4D90B6E36D20.png
    B15E34D4-674F-4B06-99F0-4D90B6E36D20.png
    521.2 KB · Views: 4

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.