Deodorant Stick for Stenciling?

inkstylus

Premium
First Name
Martin
hi i have been watching clips on you tube for stenciling and they all seem to use deodorant sticks to transfer stencils and relised that the main ingrediant is propylene glycol.
i was just wondering how safe the other ingredients are?
my stencils have always come out weak and somtimes blurred but it seems to work really well with the deodorant stick!!
obviously there are cross contamination concerns with using a stick but these can be avoided by using a spatula to scrape what you need off with out the stick coming into contact with the skin.

Remove Ads

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
Dettol is much easier and less messy, only ever had a problem with a Dettol stencil the once when I lost the scales on a koi lol!

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
I agree with Andy dettol is the way to go, you use it to put your stencil on but at the same time nothing in the germ word will get past dettol, my studio smells of dettol, also most of the youtube clips with deodorant sticks are american and we can't get the same things in the UK.

ASH13

Basic
First Name
TWM
Dettol seems to be the god of stencil fluid here.

If youre going to stick with the deodorant....

1- remove the deodorant from container

2- put in microwave safe bowl/cup and nuke for 20 secs.

3- mix 50/50 with green soap and a tiny bit of alcohol

Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink
Premium
First Name
Steve Morris
I have a bottle of poly glycol, *£16.99 for 1ltr. I smoke it in electronic fags, i mix some nicotine in with it and hey presto, make sure you get USP (food grade) PG as its safe. Never tried it for stencils though :)

BUTCH911

Premium
First Name
Butch
I found a stencil recipe that in my opinion works great. it dries with no oily residue.
1 4oz regular speed stick(melt in microwave)
add 2oz aloe vera gel
mash and mix with clean utencils.
then add 1tsp aloe vera gel and 1tsp hand sanitizer.

Butch

inkstylus

Premium
First Name
Martin
yeah i seen that on youtube but where do i get aloevera gel? and what is it for?

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
aloe vera is for sunburns here in the states.

eturnus

Basic
First Name
Eddy
hi i have been watching clips on you tube for stenciling and they all seem to use deodorant sticks to transfer stencils and relised that the main ingrediant is propylene glycol.
my stencils have always come out weak and somtimes blurred but it seems to work really well with the deodorant stick!!
obviously there are cross contamination concerns with using a stick but these can be avoided by using a spatula to scrape what you need off with out the stick coming into contact with the skin.
i usually just rub it on the area on the skin without melting or anything... is that a problem?

steveo9441

Premium
First Name
Steve
STL-00008 stencil stuff.jpg
I have been using Stencil stuff from The Tattoo Shop *£19.99 excl. vat.
Works out expensive, works fine but i still rate Dettol as the best and as already mentioned kills bacteria .

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
cross contamination is the biggest issue with this. Many artists did use deodorant stick. The only safe way I can see doing this is By using the stick as a single use only. So you would add the cost of a stick of deodorant to the prices of your tattoo's.

There are many things on the market that can work just as good if not better, you just have to play around with them to see what works for you.

I can stick a stencil with just green soap or stencil gel, Here are some tips:

1. Is your stencil transfer paper old or new? Some suppliers buy in huge quantity's for a discount, the problem is if they are not busy enough you can get some old junk, it will work. But not as good as fresher paper would. So always buy from a busy supplier.

2. Use a pen or sharp pencil, press down firmly and draw your stencil. Now when you are done always check the stencil for weak lines. If you have a week line, then go over it again.

3. When you apply the stencil (this is where most people mess up) You have to prep the arm first. Do not rush this process and you will get a strong stencil.

Make sure the arm is clean: Any dirt, skin oil, or hair could prevent a good stencil.

After the arm is cleaned, shaved and cleaned again. Now apply your stencil fluid. Give it time to make the arm somewhat sticky.

Now apply the stencil carefully, do a smooth transfer. Make sure you take the time not to bend or wrinkle the stencil paper.

4. After you apply wait a minute or two. Then go easy and peel off the stencil slowly, it's not a band aid so do not go fast.

5. At this point you should have a good stencil. Wait another 5-10 minutes until it fully dries.

6. Pat it with a paper towel, just to confirm dry.

7. Lube it & ink it.

Hope this helped.

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
As Steve says, Stencil stuff all the way! No mess no fuss, and very inexpensive, considering how little is needed.
Dont waste your time searching for speed stick.

maggot

Premium
Media
First Name
colin
stencil stuff for me initial cost a bit but its a big bottle amd will do hundreds of stencils

Spiral

Premium
First Name
martin
stencil stuff all the way,gives a solid stencil every time and does'nt wipe off easy either.

itshurts

Basic
First Name
alex
hi all
on the back of the deo sticks ,does mention not to apply to broken skin ,which in fairness is going to get broke ..many have perfume in them .:icon_rolleyes:

toreodor

Premium
First Name
Adolfo
if your going to use deodorant stick, then you should use a clean or sterile tongue depressor, scrap it off the stick, then rub it on the skin. etc. for cross contamination purposes.
I has stencile stuff, it's no different to me then green soap. I'm not trying to sound flipant, because the hardest part of my tattoo process to get right, is the stencile. So i feel your pain.
But it's really only there as a reference. The only time a stencil is gospel is when your are trying to tattoo a perfect circle.
The actual stencil paper you use makes a big differnce. Ant the trace paper sheet attached to it usually will not transfer adequate stencil ink. In that case try using the actual paper drawing over the the ink, and using that instead of the trace paper.