Dettol Dulling Tattoos?

Chops

Premium
First Name
Steve
I hear all kinds of strange 'tattoo myths' and generally have a giggle. But this tid-bit comes from an extremely talented tattoo artist who has many years of experience. He told me that using dettol on tattoos can dull them down up to two shades.
This worried me because I use a fair bit of dettol to clean the tattoo during the process and after I'm finished, before I wrap the client. I was wondering if anyone else has heard this?

Thanks,
Steve

Patrick

Premium Gold
First Name
Patrick
I have never heared of this, but I suppose it could dilute the ink as you clean it. My green soap contains dettol and I use a fair amount on each tattoo, so maybe I better try something else to see if there is a difference.

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
I was under the impression that the green soap diluted in water was all that was neccesary to clean down with'but i would be interested to hear what others use'

skinpix

Premium
First Name
Mark
I only use dettol for the transfer.....green soap for cleaning down...

Chops

Premium
First Name
Steve
I used to use dettol for the stencil only, but then I started getting it for free so I figured I'd use it for the whole job, and personlly never had an issue

trefall

Basic
First Name
Leo
Steve, I'm doing a lot of research on things I can. Dettol is what I know I can get here. I have a student who's a doctor but won't see him until next week to see if I can get green soap or whatever to disinfect. Is it possible to cause the problem with just a difference in inks? Maybe Dettol affects the bases of some inks but not others?

Chops

Premium
First Name
Steve
Steve, I'm doing a lot of research on things I can. Dettol is what I know I can get here. I have a student who's a doctor but won't see him until next week to see if I can get green soap or whatever to disinfect. Is it possible to cause the problem with just a difference in inks? Maybe Dettol affects the bases of some inks but not others?

Could do, im not sure. Ive not really noticed a problem, and am still using dettol and getting good results, never had anyone get an infection and as far as i know no dulling.

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
First Name
Andy
I know artists who use neat dettol for wiping down a tattoo through out the process, im sure on the bottle it says not to use neat on open wounds so possibly it could dull.

My tattoos done a few years ago by a dettol using artist have faded slightly but I think that was more to do with depth and technique but I could be wrong.