• Later today, the site will be offline for essential server upgrades. This upgrade should run without any problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Does experience really mean much?

Newbbb

Basic
First Name
Dan
Seems like a stupid question but why is it that i know people who have been tattooing only a few years and can do amazing realistic work making thousands yet i also know people who have been tattooing over 40 years yet very rarely even see a realistic piece done...

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
I don't mean to be rude, but instead of asking such impossible to answer questions, why don't you give yourself a chance to see where you are in your own experience ?

There's no magic in all that, some have assets, some have to put some hard work, some are gifted, some get lots of help...

Peace,

DKJ

Remove Ads

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
Simple. The drive to get better.
Yes, the inks/needles/machines have improved giving the ability to achieve super realistic even pieces with greater ease. But a lot of the people working 40 years who aren't putting out the same caliber of work just haven't worked to continuously improve themselves. It's not experience that counts. It's how much work you've put into it.

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
there is also personal style.

tattooing is rich in tradition & culture. some people choose to do purely american traditional, or polynesian, or japanese. I can paint a black & white portrait that looks like a photograph. I can paint a cowboy on a zippo lighter. I have been airbrushing since I was in junior high. My skill & experience caused me to be recruited for a tattoo apprenticeship. I've been tattooing off & on for nearly a decade now.... but my tattoos are very basic - even though my art is very advanced.

art is subjective & personal. Hyper realism isn't the pinnacle of tattooing... because there isn't a pinnacle other than satisfied customers. Someone with a simply "sailor jerry" can be as happy or happier than someone w/a full on custom nick baxter piece.

there is also the argument that these hyper realistic pieces will not hold up over time... a lot of people saying that are drawing on decades of experience & have the time under their belt to be able to draw that conclusion.

experience is laying the ink in the skin & getting the results you want.

There are many variables in tattooing & only "experience" will allow you to deal with them.

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
Sorry Dan for being harsh, it was an absolutly useless and closed answer.

All my apologizes!

Peace,

DKJ

blas

Basic
First Name
Matt
Im a complete noob tattooing but not to art, Some people just dont care for realism ... thats a style on its own. i do animal realism drawings but when it comes to portraits they do nothing for me, my passion is with animal realism, some people want to just do traditional or neo trad ect. some people love botanical. Being a realistic artist does not make you a better artist all the time it makes you a human photo copier ( also not a bad thing if thats what you want) even in my realism pieces i like to make sure you can see brush/pencil strokes ect. do what inspires you because 9 times out of 10 your work will always be better.

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
Im a complete noob tattooing but not to art, Some people just dont care for realism ... thats a style on its own. i do animal realism drawings but when it comes to portraits they do nothing for me, my passion is with animal realism, some people want to just do traditional or neo trad ect. some people love botanical. Being a realistic artist does not make you a better artist all the time it makes you a human photo copier ( also not a bad thing if thats what you want) even in my realism pieces i like to make sure you can see brush/pencil strokes ect. do what inspires you because 9 times out of 10 your work will always be better.
It seems a lot of people here have been very happilly surprised when stretching their knowledge to new techniques, therefore new designs.
Getting out of their comfort zone, i guess.

Some may answer this question : if you like realism tattoing, do you need to start off shading/gradients techniques, or is lining a must have in your set of techniques ?

Peace,

DKK

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
if you like realism tattoing, do you need to start off shading/gradients techniques, or is lining a must have in your set of techniques ?
that is a question that can have a lot of thought.

as an apprentice.... we couldn't go our own way. we started with basic flash pieces. & for good reason. they teach you how the skin reacts. they don't overwhelm you. you can have a client in a chair for 30min & no one gets antsy.

practice skin isn't real skin & you can produce picture perfect portraits on fake... that won't necessarily carry over 1:1 on real skin.

i would say yes. a foundation in tattooing should start with lining then packing then shading. fundamentals in any discipline are there for a reason & why an expert craftsman/apprentice relationship has existed for generations in many many fields.

Chustik

Premium
First Name
Gerard
gerard_van_nierop
i also know people who have been tattooing over 40 years yet very rarely even see a realistic piece done...
Realism isn't the ultimate art form, not in any medium. Maybe that guy thats tattoing 40 years makes some of the best American Traditional style tattoos in the world and him not doing realism doesnt mean he is a bad artist.

The amount of glorification for realism and looking down at everything that isn't that art form is, in my opinion, disgusting.

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
Realism isn't the ultimate art form, not in any medium. Maybe that guy thats tattoing 40 years makes some of the best American Traditional style tattoos in the world and him not doing realism doesnt mean he is a bad artist.

The amount of glorification for realism and looking down at everything that isn't that art form is, in my opinion, disgusting.
Couldn't agree more. I love looking at some realism and there are some bad ass pieces out there. But, I have no desire to do that myself even though I do it in my traditional artwork all the time. It used to be that fine line portraiture was kind of the exception rather than the norm. Now so many people act like you're nothing if you don't do any realism.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Experience means a lot, but of course there are people who get the hang of things pretty quick, and some who never get it.

Also you don't know whether these newbies learning so quick had a very experienced tutor.

Newbbb

Basic
First Name
Dan
Sorry Dan for being harsh, it was an absolutly useless and closed answer.

All my apologizes!

Peace,

DKJ
No it was a geniune question i have realised when looking to get tattooed so please go away

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
No it was a geniune question i have realised when looking to get tattooed so please go away
Dude.

You need to check yourself or YOU go away.

Dan is a long time & respected member here. HE &, by extension WE, owe YOU absolutely NOTHING.

The fact anyone replies to your questions is something you should consider a blessing.

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
No need to escalate Gadsden, i apologized, he didn't take them, i'm not going away, nothing really on the internets, case closed.

I appreciate your support but let's not gang-up and make things ugly, this thread is full of good info!

Peace,

DKJ - aka mathieu btw ;-)

Newbbb

Basic
First Name
Dan
Dude.

You need to check yourself or YOU go away.

Dan is a long time & respected member here. HE &, by extension WE, owe YOU absolutely NOTHING.

The fact anyone replies to your questions is something you should consider a blessing.
I just asked a question! Blessing? Its a forum thats what its for, i have no time for nasty people so dont just comment to be rude or il just report you

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
I just asked a question! Blessing? Its a forum thats what its for, i have no time for nasty people so dont just comment to be rude or il just report you
you didn't "just ask a question"
you got lippy.

report me bruv? to who? for what?
i didn't say anything you didn't & the moderator(s) have probably already read this.

& yes, a blessing. Before this forum came about it was next to impossible for someone to come & ask questions & get real answers. to have a place to not be shunned or ostracized for not having an apprenticeship. to actually have a real chance to become self taught... many many people have had great success here. blessing? absolutely.

it's ok to ask questions. it's ok to have differences. it's ok to not agree on things & to argue. your comment about telling a respected member to go away was uncalled for.

you seem to demand answers & respect in an industry & on a forum you don't seem to respect.

Newbbb

Basic
First Name
Dan
you didn't "just ask a question"
you got lippy.

report me bruv? to who? for what?
i didn't say anything you didn't & the moderator(s) have probably already read this.

& yes, a blessing. Before this forum came about it was next to impossible for someone to come & ask questions & get real answers. to have a place to not be shunned or ostracized for not having an apprenticeship. to actually have a real chance to become self taught... many many people have had great success here. blessing? absolutely.

it's ok to ask questions. it's ok to have differences. it's ok to not agree on things & to argue. your comment about telling a respected member to go away was uncalled for.

you seem to demand answers & respect in an industry & on a forum you don't seem to respect.
You sound so deluded, i just asked a question on a forum, im not here looking todo a degree in tattooing its just something i was doing as a hobby, but probably wont be on here long with people like you.

i done nothing wrong but ask a question, it was the person who was rude i was just rude back, you can be on here 10 years or 10 minutes all people are equal so stop thinking you are superier to others, u are just a little keyboard warrior

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
i done nothing wrong but ask a question, it was the person who was rude i was just rude back.
Look man. I've avoided getting into this crap, but go back and read what DKJ said before you got offensive. He apologized to you for being harsh stating that HE gave a useless answer (it really wasn't). You quoted that statement and started tearing into people for being rude. This is a misunderstanding, but one you elevated.

If you want help tattooing you're going to have to learn how to read people's statements and criticism without getting offended. Nobody here is needlessly mean when giving advice and if they are, we put a stop to it. But, we also have people from all over ththe world who don't all speak the same level of English. You're going to have to realize that the way you read a statement might not be the way they meant it to sound.

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
Newbbb : To add to what Allen said, you now know that there's a lot of 'lost in translation' stuff happening here.
I may not understand your question fully, may totally miss your point, just because i don't master your language.
I apologized to tell you that and was totally okay with getting an harsh answer from you, agressivity often raises agressivity in reply so i totally understand your response.
I hope everything is settled now and that you won't leave over this, i'm sure we have many things to share in the future.

Peace,

DKJ

Newbbb

Basic
First Name
Dan
Look man. I've avoided getting into this crap, but go back and read what DKJ said before you got offensive. He apologized to you for being harsh stating that HE gave a useless answer (it really wasn't). You quoted that statement and started tearing into people for being rude. This is a misunderstanding, but one you elevated.

If you want help tattooing you're going to have to learn how to read people's statements and criticism without getting offended. Nobody here is needlessly mean when giving advice and if they are, we put a stop to it. But, we also have people from all over ththe world who don't all speak the same level of English. You're going to have to realize that the way you read a statement might not be the way they meant it to sound.
Just lol

Newbbb

Basic
First Name
Dan
Spend time answering tattoo questions and not arguing, you always get more answering with people being rude than speaking on topic, let me guess thats only a “premium” service😂

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
I’m over here still trying to figure out what DKJ said wrong and then why he apologized for it. Lol
I closed his question by saying " there's no answer", and also said that he could go check where he was in his tattooing journey.
That was not very sympathetic nor welcoming, and i could have shut my mouth, hence why i apologized.

Him not accepting my apologizes is a whole another thing.

Peace,

DKJ

79josh81

Premium
Media
First Name
Josh
I thought your comment wasn’t closed and thought it was more just telling him to be self reflective on why he was asking that question. You’re way nicer than I am. Lol

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
I closed his question by saying " there's no answer", and also said that he could go check where he was in his tattooing journey.
That was not very sympathetic nor welcoming, and i could have shut my mouth, hence why i apologized.

Him not accepting my apologizes is a whole another thing.

Peace,

DKJ
Yeah man, there wasn't anything wrong with that that I saw. We all need to be able to look at ourselves and figure out why we're doing things rather than looking at others to figure out how w can be them. That's how I read it anyway.

Dennis36

Basic
First Name
Dennis
I don't mean to be rude, but instead of asking such impossible to answer questions, why don't you give yourself a chance to see where you are in your own experience ?

There's no magic in all that, some have assets, some have to put some hard work, some are gifted, some get lots of help...

Peace,

DKJ
Well said there i know a guy with pencil cant draw a stick man then give him a gun in his hand omg the back peices he can make is amazin

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.