Drawing from the Tip of the Needle

Chamberzezz

Premium
First Name
Ailin
Ok so heres my thing. At the weekend I did my first tattoo on my wife. A couple of times it felt unnatural as my visibility wasnt that great and had to rely on knowing where the line was, which is fine. I work from the tip of the tube as suggested for beginners, and do ok, but it just doesn't feel right. I know people eventually lengthen the needle to work from the tip which I can imagine helps a lot with visibility.
I am more then happy to start working like this now, but my only worry is going in too deep or because Im worried about that, going to shallow. Any suggestions and tips on this? I don't need a lot to come out, just as long as I can see what I'm doing.

Thanks

Remove Ads

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
Ok so heres my thing. At the weekend I did my first tattoo on my wife. A couple of times it felt unnatural as my visibility wasnt that great and had to rely on knowing where the line was, which is fine. I work from the tip of the tube as suggested for beginners, and do ok, but it just doesn't feel right. I know people eventually lengthen the needle to work from the tip which I can imagine helps a lot with visibility.
I am more then happy to start working like this now, but my only worry is going in too deep or because Im worried about that, going to shallow. Any suggestions and tips on this? I don't need a lot to come out, just as long as I can see what I'm doing.

Thanks
i set my machine up so i get 2mm throw on my machine same on the tube/grip and that generaly allows me to do both (work of the tip and work of the needle tip)you could try moving it so u get about half a mm then if u want to float the tips more, but i generaly use both methods of lining- for small delicate lines i float the needle for long swooping lines an stuff i ride the tube tip ;) hope this helps ;) and makes sense lol

Chamberzezz

Premium
First Name
Ailin
i set my machine up so i get 2mm throw on my machine same on the tube/grip and that generaly allows me to do both (work of the tip and work of the needle tip)you could try moving it so u get about half a mm then if u want to float the tips more, but i generaly use both methods of lining- for small delicate lines i float the needle for long swooping lines an stuff i ride the tube tip ;) hope this helps ;) and makes sense lol
Float the tips? needle? :)

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
If you buy some of the cheap practise skin from ebay *£6 for ten sheets, it is about 2mm thick, so if you set your needles to how james said and work off the tips of the needles then you shouldn't go all the way through to the other side of the practise skin, if you use Vaseline and wipe the ink off with damp tissue paper then you will keep your practise skin clean.

regards
Tony

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
Float the tips? needle? :)
sorry my bad dude will explain that now ;)

float the tip- the tube tip gets "floated' over the skin -no contact
ride the tip - there is contact between the tube tip and skin ;) hope this helps

RTats

RTats
Premium
First Name
Rob
My finding is that everyone is different, and I only struggle with depth when I have tried to rush things.

Some possible ideas are to take your time and choose somewhere small to start to get yourself settled in. Sculpt lines at first and work shallow - I think it gets really easy to see when you find the right depth.

Most importantly remember that going to deep is like putting in a line you arent sure about - you cant take it back.

I try to remind myself that whilst I am learning, and the recipient accepts that, who cares if I need to go back to it in a few weeks and darken up a shallow washed out line (obviously this is a generalization as there are somethings best done right the first time). Its a lot easier than trying to fix a blow out or consoling someone who will carry your scarrs for life.

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Hi,
when setting up,adjust the tube whilst holding the armature bar down,only leave 2mm of needle showing out of the end of the tube,this way you will not go over depth.it will feel weird for a while,working on the skin like that,but it comes with practice.

Chamberzezz

Premium
First Name
Ailin
sorry my bad dude will explain that now ;)

float the tip- the tube tip gets "floated' over the skin -no contact
ride the tip - there is contact between the tube tip and skin ;) hope this helps
If I set the needle to come out when running 2mm from the tip and float the tip, would that not then be to shallow in the skin? Or if I have the needle out an extra half mm (when not running) and ride the tip would that not then be too deep?

This is all really helpful by the way guys thanks. I have some of the cheap practice skin so might just do that...

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
If I set the needle to come out when running 2mm from the tip and float the tip, would that not then be to shallow in the skin? Or if I have the needle out an extra half mm (when not running) and ride the tip would that not then be too deep?

This is all really helpful by the way guys thanks. I have some of the cheap practice skin so might just do that...
yea this is were it kinda gets into the long throw/short throw you need the half a mm for the needle to hang but slightly tweak out the contact screw to give u maybe a 3mm throw ;) but dont let the tube tip touch the skin :eek:

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Hi Ailin,

just to put my ten pennerth in lol!!

I found that the 2mm was not enough for me to work with. I didn't like the drag from the tip - and also felt it was hard to see where I was working. I find that by extending the needle another mm I can see far more clearly what I am doing. This is called - as JB said, riding the needle. To do this however, you must be confident that your hand is steady as you have to be careful that the full depth of the needle does not penetrate the skin. As you know, 2mm is the correct depth - and 3mm will cause your lines to blow (ink lines will spread when healed) and cause scarring/skin trauma.

If you watch any of the Ink TV prog's you will probably notice most of the artists ride the needle. Cory on LA Ink - I noticed - must extend his needle tip 4/5mm but is obviously very competent at holding his machine steady!

If you can't 'hover' with the machine - then you must use the tip as a guide!

Chamberzezz

Premium
First Name
Ailin
Hi Ailin,

just to put my ten pennerth in lol!!

I found that the 2mm was not enough for me to work with. I didn't like the drag from the tip - and also felt it was hard to see where I was working. I find that by extending the needle another mm I can see far more clearly what I am doing. This is called - as JB said, riding the needle. To do this however, you must be confident that your hand is steady as you have to be careful that the full depth of the needle does not penetrate the skin. As you know, 2mm is the correct depth - and 3mm will cause your lines to blow (ink lines will spread when healed) and cause scarring/skin trauma.

If you watch any of the Ink TV prog's you will probably notice most of the artists ride the needle. Cory on LA Ink - I noticed - must extend his needle tip 4/5mm but is obviously very competent at holding his machine steady!

If you can't 'hover' with the machine - then you must use the tip as a guide!

Yeah i have noticed that on the TV programs. Specially Corey when he works. It's great to have everyones input thanks. Will Defo practice as i think it will help me a lot. Least then I can see what I'm doing :)