Drawing Peonies - Help w/ Petal Placement/Layering

learner

Basic
6 Apr 2020
Australia
First Name
Hi everyone, currently new to drawing and want to pursue tattooing in future.

Currently having trouble drawing Japanese traditional style Peonies. I have drawn 6 petals that go around the sphere bud. After that I try add more petals that curl outwards but it looks very random and don’t look good. - Anyone have any tips or guidelines on how to layer more petals without it looking off? Been stuck trying to do these petal placement for few days.

Remove Ads

DKJ

Premium
23 Oct 2017
Media
France
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
Hi!
I'd say if you're new to drawing, maybe you should try to pick some more simpler designs.
The Japanese Peony is a very difficult one, since it's very random and ask for a good understanding of organic shapes in perspective.
The petals have different sizes, they open in a variety of motion, and they even have individual ondulations.

So, you could try simpler flowers to start with some easier patterns, or if you really want to go for the japanese peonies, you may use original paintings by the Japanese masters and try, try, try and try harder.

Both ways can work, but peonies are a very tough subject to learn on, and i'm not sure you will grab the basics through them.

Do you have pictures of your actual works, so we can see where you at?

Peace,

DKJ

learner

Basic
6 Apr 2020
Australia
First Name
Hi!
I'd say if you're new to drawing, maybe you should try to pick some more simpler designs.
The Japanese Peony is a very difficult one, since it's very random and ask for a good understanding of organic shapes in perspective.
The petals have different sizes, they open in a variety of motion, and they even have individual ondulations.

So, you could try simpler flowers to start with some easier patterns, or if you really want to go for the japanese peonies, you may use original paintings by the Japanese masters and try, try, try and try harder.

Both ways can work, but peonies are a very tough subject to learn on, and i'm not sure you will grab the basics through them.

Do you have pictures of your actual works, so we can see where you at?

Peace,

DKJ
Hey sorry for the late reply. I am very stubborn and have been trying to draw Peonies for 2 week straight. What I am struggling most is:

- The petals curve patterns is not smooth and fluid

- Many petal placement, layering (Where to put the petals)

If anyone have any tips they are all appreciated.

here a embarrassing quick sketch of Peony: 3-B5664-A1-E2-C9-498-B-8-DA8-B879-B07156-E1

Torb

Premium
10 Jun 2014
Media
Nelson
First Name
Torbjorn
Hey sorry for the late reply. I am very stubborn and have been trying to draw Peonies for 2 week straight. What I am struggling most is:

- The petals curve patterns is not smooth and fluid

- Many petal placement, layering (Where to put the petals)

If anyone have any tips they are all appreciated.

here a embarrassing quick sketch of Peony: 3-B5664-A1-E2-C9-498-B-8-DA8-B879-B07156-E1
Looking good. I'd add another petal in the gap at the bottom. I definitely couldn't draw one freehand without reference any better.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.