Fake Rotarys

tattytone

Premium
First Name
Tony
Was wondering who has used any of the cheap rotarys about, some are *£10 some are *£150 now what make the 150 ones any better? They all must have the cheapo motors in or have they?
be intresting to see who has what and how they rate them. I have a stealth and find it ok, ive run it for 3 hours and was fine.

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
I think a big part of it is profit for some of the tattoo suppliers. Do not get me wrong some of the more expensive ones are well worth it, they will have many options like needle clip so you do not have to use rubber bands. They will also have adjustments for harder & softer hitting.

To be 100% honest with you, I purchased a cheap stealth copy off of ebay for around $29.00. The machine packs color in better then any machine I have ever owned or used. Also the lining with it is amazing. It handles any volts or needle combos I throw at it. I don't think I could burn the motor out if I tried.

Another thing to keep in mind most of the more expensive rotary's like the bishop order their motors from China & Japan.

Try a few of the inexpensive rotary's and if you like them then you could make the investment for one with more options. One of my more expensive rotary's is my avatar photo that I just took this morning.

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
Oh yeah, also those small rotary motors are really not that expensive to make or produce. Like think of your coils in your tattoo machine, insulated copper wire is not that expensive. They do not make a $100 copper wire or $50 plastic bobbin lol
So try and look at it like that. I am sure their is just crap out their, but there is also solid cheaper machines that work just as good.

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
I'v been looking at the nedz machine it is *£270 and is fully adjustable also made in England, i don't know about the motor in it.

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
I'v been looking at the nedz machine it is *£270 and is fully adjustable also made in England, i don't know about the motor in it.
I seen those today online, they look real nice. Available with different strokes & adjustable.

tattytone

Premium
First Name
Tony
Good point mike lol i should put the cheap copy one's.

Ive seen some with swash drive not sure if thats good or is it like a swiss drive but named swash lol

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Good point mike lol i should put the cheap copy one's.

Ive seen some with swash drive not sure if thats good or is it like a swiss drive but named swash lol

:icon_cheesygrin: I know what ya mean though, yeah, lots of "copies" out there to choose from, and fortunately or not some of them work pretty darn good. I like to compare it to a watch...A timex and a Rolex both keep time well, one just cost a whole lot more than the other!!!

tattytone

Premium
First Name
Tony
Rolex looks better than a bolex lmao

I know there are some good look alike machines, i would like to know what ones people have bought or used that are in there eyes good machines.

I want to get another machine just not sure whats good.

msrsimpkin

Premium
First Name
Rachael
I recently invested in a Stealth Lite and it was worth every penny! It's not the cheapest rotary machine you can buy, but it's far from the most expensinve too. I got it simply for the weight factor as I was having trouble with the heavy weight of my coil machines, but I think I'm completely sold on rotaries now!

I know other people have bought the cheap Stealth knock offs and said they're really good machines. Like others said, I think sometimes, a lot of it is in the name.

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
Rolex looks better than a bolex lmao

I know there are some good look alike machines, i would like to know what ones people have bought or used that are in there eyes good machines.

I want to get another machine just not sure whats good.

Start with this one you will not be disappointed

http://www.thetattooshop.co.uk/shop/the-original-stealth-rotary-tattoo-machine.html

This one is like something I have as my Avatar, the price is about right
. This one has more weight to it, but the spring is more like a coil machine one. You can knock out outlines & Black & Gray with this.

http://www.thetattooshop.co.uk/shop/Black_Noxid_Rotary_Tattoo_Machine.html

Now this one is supposed to be a real good rotary, I have not used it.
But the reviews are great on it. Fully Adjustable.

http://www.thetattooshop.co.uk/shop/Dragon_Fly_Tattoo_Machine_Evil_Black.html

Here is your ROLEX

http://www.thetattooshop.co.uk/shop/Stigma_Rotary_Bizarre_V2.html

Now the one's that are copy's that you can get on ebay

If you want a good copy just read the reviews, buy from someone local in the UK like a tattoo shop or supplier selling them on ebay & not China.

But to tell you the truth buy the Stealth, people already say it's good & the price is cheap enough. If you do not like it you could always re sell it, because it's a name brand & get most of your money back. Good luck on your choice.

tattytone

Premium
First Name
Tony
Cheers for the links, i already use a stealth, i was a 2nd machine, all them are nice but do they have a swiss motor or a cheap one, 400 smacker roos is alot if its only as good as a 150 one, i would sooner buy a good motor (if i knew were) and get my mate to design me one on his CNC machine, must be a place where you can buy good motors, and does anyone know what a swash drive is?

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
Cheers for the links, i already use a stealth, i was a 2nd machine, all them are nice but do they have a swiss motor or a cheap one, 400 smacker roos is alot if its only as good as a 150 one, i would sooner buy a good motor (if i knew were) and get my mate to design me one on his CNC machine, must be a place where you can buy good motors, and does anyone know what a swash drive is?
Many of the motors do come from Japan & Germany. I do know if you do like your Stealth motor they due sell replacement ones for around $30 if you want to use that. I am sure a internet search of motors you may dig up something.

Here is a swash drive I found from a company that is not over priced.
http://www.frictiontattoo.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=108_111&products_id=1353

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
Hi Tony, a swash drive is the same as i sent to you, not really the best idea for a rotary machine, in my eyes any way, and i think the motors they use in top end machines are swiss made and called maxon, if you put maxonmotors in your browser you should find what you are looking for.

tattytone

Premium
First Name
Tony
thanks guys for the info, cheers tony i did tey that machine u sent me, was ok till i broke it lol my bad i did the screw bar too tight and cracked the square plate thing :icon_rolleyes:

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
I didn't expect it to last long, i was thinking you could use the motor more than anything els but that probably will not last long, crappy jappy, have a look at the Moxon site you will get a good guarantee with there motors.

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
Did a quick ebay search of maxon motors, they also sell them their as well. If you type small DC motors in a google search or ebay search you will have a bunch of options.

tattytone

Premium
First Name
Tony
Hows that one perform mike? Is it more for line work or colour or both, not heard of it but will check em out.

Tony i will make a new bit for it and give it another try, or use motor like u said

Albionwolf

Basic
First Name
K
I personally don't think there is much difference in the stealth type rotarys stealth itself is a copy of the more expensive Swiss brand. stigma type machines are in a different league but it is possible to get a cheap *£6 stealth copy to run similar an for a fraxmction of the cost here is my modified stealth knockoff with adjustable give not really and good for lining but suoer smooth for b&g and color blending

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Hows that one perform mike? Is it more for line work or colour or both, not heard of it but will check em out.

Tony i will make a new bit for it and give it another try, or use motor like u said

My personal preferance would be liner...again, thats only my preference though. I think for as cheap as it was its a damn good little machine. Im not good enough, or at least I dont consider myself good enough to warrant purchasing a $500 dollar machine just yet. The cost is prohibitive right now, my skills arent honed enough yet, and I just dont think they would perform a whole lot differently than any other machine aside from the whole "give" factor...I could be completely wrong on the other hand it could perform 100% better. Its the old vantage of better tools dont make you a better artist, you have to have some skill to begin with, so just because your operating a expensive machine doesnt make you a better artist.

josh08

Basic
First Name
Josh
Hey,
I'm new to the forum and tattooing. I've been drawing my entire life, and I'm really considering buying some of the Hildbrandt rotary's to start with. I'm also considering the German Motor Swash Drive sold by Friction Tattoo. But I found a rotary for $9.99 on ebay, and I was just wondering what you guys thought of it. Item # 140556616040

Last edited:

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
I personally don't think there is much difference in the stealth type rotarys stealth itself is a copy of the more expensive Swiss brand. stigma type machines are in a different league but it is possible to get a cheap *£6 stealth copy to run similar an for a fraxmction of the cost here is my modified stealth knockoff with adjustable give not really and good for lining but suoer smooth for b&g and color blending
Nice mod, did you do it yourself or did you purchase it that way?

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
Hey,
I'm new to the forum and tattooing. I've been drawing my entire life, and I'm really considering buying some of the Hildbrandt rotary's to start with. I'm also considering the German Motor Swash Drive sold by Friction Tattoo. But I found a rotary for $9.99 on ebay, and I was just wondering what you guys thought of it. Item # 140556616040
Welcome to the forums Josh. This machine right here from friction is a great starter: http://www.frictiontattoo.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=108_111&products_id=1745

In fact these machines are becoming my favorite to use. If you are just starting out seriously look into getting the premium membership here at the forums, it is well worth it.

Albionwolf

Basic
First Name
K
Hi it was made for me by a professional artist that uses the same setup ive used alot of machines and this has been the best so far for b&g there easy to make and can be turned for less give for lining although I'm really attached to my coil liner so haven't tried it obviously it's not as nice looking as say a stigma but function is just the same and also no need for elastic bands either

Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink
Premium
First Name
Steve Morris
For your info guys, i have switched to the Firefly (dragonfly copy)
I have sold my stealths and kept my danny fowler time machine for lining work.
I purchased the firefly from new image tattoo, the first one cost me *£149, i complained that there was not an rca port on like advertised and they ofered me a 2nd machine for *£90 plus vat and shipping

The run sweet and are fully adjustable, normal running volts is around 3-8v

Steve

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
have you used the firefly yet steve, I use the hawk but i'm looking for a second machine for colour, my problem is every time i'v nearly got the money saved i see some more Jenny Clarke flash for sale and can't resist it, let me know how the firefly performs.

Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink
Premium
First Name
Steve Morris
Will do Tony, If you do get a chance to buy one, go to New Image tattoo and speak to Mark, *£149 inc vat and special delivery. Dont buy the crappy ones on ebay with the holes in the centre (where the motor is)!
Here's my 2 :)

Steve

Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink
Premium
First Name
Steve Morris
One of them is,
They were advertised as having an RCA port on, hence me ringing Mark up and him giving me a discount on the 2nd machine.

He has now changed the write up. All in all, good solid machine,

Spiral

Premium
First Name
martin
got one in black from new image and like a lot,the review i put up was based on this one:icon_smile::icon_smile::icon_smile:

Attachments

• 26112011255.jpg
    26112011255.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 12

tattytone

Premium
First Name
Tony
Anyone good on import tax charge, the hitman is $50.50 with post to uk, thsts *£30.60p what if any would import tax be on that? Had some very bad luck on inport tax so want to make sure before hand, so any info would be great

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay
Anyone good on import tax charge, the hitman is $50.50 with post to uk, thsts *£30.60p what if any would import tax be on that? Had some very bad luck on inport tax so want to make sure before hand, so any info would be great
I think it depends how they send it to you, if they ship it stating it's a gift then their may be a real low chance to get hit with import tax.

Spiral

Premium
First Name
martin

think you will pay duty,if they pick up on it, you might be lucky, im think its anything over *£30 they slam you for, you might be looking @ another tenner ish, bloody taxman, you will have to pay the delivery peeps the duty.

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE

Talk to Steve (Flashhighland), I think he will be carrying these for the UK folks...so youll be sure to get a good price!

TattooJay

Premium
First Name
Jay

Laughing Buddha

Premium
First Name
Ben
Those are like the stealth, I got a knockoff one on ebay. If the machines work good you will love them. They color fill real nice, as well as line good once you find the right hand speed.

Im excited now:icon_cheesygrin:. They are my first machines. I was expecting them to be crap for the price. I also got 2 coil machines as I wasn't sure which I would like best.