First Go (kinda) on Pig Skin

flashhighland

Premium
Media
First Name
Steve
Ok, i've kinda had a go before on pig skin but gave up after 5 mins. I've new found confidence in having a go on pig skin after seeing Debs work on here, which is great, so thought i'd have another go.
The designs my own from my crazy mind. My girlfriend thinks it looks like Princess Leia, but it's not supposed to be.:icon_rolleyes:
I should of spent more time inspecting the skin for tears etc but I didn't and there was a big tear right across the left of the face and lots of damaged skin on the piece which was annoying when I was working on it.
I wanted to shade the horns with different browns and shade in the framework, but I have VERY limited ink colours and it's late, so didn't! :icon_wink:
Feedback welcome.

IMG_2965.jpg

Remove Ads

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
I dont know what you were worried about, cos i think the face, hair and the circles are outstanding.

Pig skin from Morrisons is always full of little nicks, where it is probably mechanically removed.

But your work looks really good.

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
Great work Steve, the pig skin always has cuts in it but you get used to it.

X DEBS X

Basic
First Name
Debbie
Nice design. It looks good, your shading is a little choppy on the horns but its hard work on that skin especially with all those cuts.:icon_cheesygrin:

flashhighland

Premium
Media
First Name
Steve
Thanks for the feedback guys. Appreciated.

Ha, 'a little choppy' is being kind Debs! The skin wasn't actually too bad where the horns were. I put that down as a little background foundation I suppose for the browns i'd planned for the horns as they'd come through ok then with some extra work.
I did it, photographed it then chucked it so my other half wouldn't complain about it being about. Then she told me I could of just popped it in the fridge and finished it today, so I was kicking myself a bit.
It was good practice for doing curves anyhow.

I think I could get used to working on the pig skin anyhow. The ink goes straight in rather than having to go over everything 3 times like the synth skin, so everythings a lot quicker. Bonus!

X DEBS X

Basic
First Name
Debbie
Shame you couldnt have finished it. I think you should stick with the pig, its much more human skin, the synthetic stuff is useless really.

Yeh the pig skin does like to take the ink in doesnt it, thats something to remember when tattooing real skin, ive noticed ive had to darken my washes a little more.

:icon_smile:

flashhighland

Premium
Media
First Name
Steve
Shame you couldnt have finished it. I think you should stick with the pig, its much more human skin, the synthetic stuff is useless really.

Yeh the pig skin does like to take the ink in doesnt it, thats something to remember when tattooing real skin, ive noticed ive had to darken my washes a little more.

:icon_smile:
I actually really enjoyed using the pig skin. I've just bought a shed load of inks (almost 50 different colours) so I shouldn't have many excuses before long!
Do you have any pics of your real skin tattoos on here?

X DEBS X

Basic
First Name
Debbie
What brand of inks have you bought? Yes i think i may have some pics of real tattoos on here. I am currently in the process of doing 2 real tattoos now but they are both healing before i can go back in to finish them off. One of them is the indian skull, i started it on sunday.:icon_biggrin: Will post pics when finished.

flashhighland

Premium
Media
First Name
Steve
Ahhh.. brilliant. Looking forward to seeing the Indian skull job on real skin.
I just bought 48 'Scream' inks. I wanted a wide selection and I know these are cheap as I got some with a cheap kit I bought, but they work ok. I wanted the Moms inks but it was going to set me back *£175 ish, which is too much just for practicing on pig skin I figured.