First Grey Wash.... Need Help....

Fozz

Premium
Media
First Name
Michael
Actress I've had a thing for for many years haha.....

But struggling with the grey wash; the three drops went in like black and that's what happened to that dark chunk under her eye and her forehead. In the others, all I can see is the lines I made and piss-poor blending.....

I was just wandering if there's a technique to it, or better still, a video(s)??.....

I used a 5RL and a 9RS, I tried using a mag yesterday to do an easter island head but made a complete mess of it. Chucked the skin out and went back to my rounds......

Remove Ads

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Aint bad.............takes lots of practice. I have by no means mastered shit but I will be more than happy to tell you my mix...

#16 cups.....

1 drop Black/ water
2 drop Back/ water
you get the idea???????

Now...............figure out how to use a mag........trust me on that. :icon_mrgreen:

Fozz

Premium
Media
First Name
Michael
Thanks Mike.... I definitely need more practice at this but won't be able to over the next week due to work.....

I did the mix the pots as; pure black, three drops black, two drops black and one drop black..... And I guess I am going to have to keep on practising with the mag, I hate that thing haha.....

Another thing I was thinking...... Do I make circles, like usual packing, or do you use longer strokes?? (If that makes any sense)......

Flying Monkey

Premium
First Name
Chris
In the videos section I saw 1 where the guy used glycerin instead of water for his washes. Is the 1 where he is tattooing a tiger on his leg

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Thanks Mike.... I definitely need more practice at this but won't be able to over the next week due to work.....

I did the mix the pots as; pure black, three drops black, two drops black and one drop black..... And I guess I am going to have to keep on practising with the mag, I hate that thing haha.....

Another thing I was thinking...... Do I make circles, like usual packing, or do you use longer strokes?? (If that makes any sense)......
................thats hard to explain because its a yes and no answer and it also involves pressure of your hand, at some points your mearily tickling the skin...

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
Hi Michael

That is a very good effort especially on pig skin. Everything you mentioned above happened to me as well, I really struggled with Mags at first, but kept at it and now I love them and couldn't do without them. But don't be disappointed because thats not a bad tattoo at all. Try to get hold of some smooth pig skin from your butcher if you can, it is easier to shade and blend when you haven't got those slits to worry about. Keep practicing and for sure you will soon get it sorted.:icon_biggrin:

Fozz

Premium
Media
First Name
Michael
Thankyou Patrick, it means alot coming from such a good tattooist :icon_mrgreen:.....

I can't get hold of any other pig skin, I don't live near a proper butchers and that's how it comes at the Morrisons butcher's; I always have to ask for them not to put the huge scores in it. I thought that was just standard......

I'm going to be pretty busy this week, working and then painting a mural for the unit I work at. I'll get practising again soon enough, and I will master the mag!! Haha.....

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
I think every body feels the same about mags at first but most go from hating them to loving them, as for how to use them with portrait work, it's what works best for you, for large areas do small circles but for shading i,v seen them being used like a shovel action and also from side to side also have a go with curved mags, for me they shade easier.

Fozz

Premium
Media
First Name
Michael
Thanks, I'm going to try and have another go tomorrow morning with the mag. See if I begin to love it, I'm sure I will at some point..... I know I found it easier going from side to side, but need to be a bit gentler with it as there was darker and lighter spots throughout, where it was all supposed to be even and blended.....

stealth

Premium
First Name
rob
Fozz,
for a first attempt at "wash" that was damn good mate, would be very pleased if that was mine !

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Hey,not a bad attempt,for good shading,you need to do larger circles & work quickly, Working quickly over the skin causes very little trauma,so you can go over it a few times to build the shade you want.....Get some mag's,practice,practice,practice....another bit of advice is,do not use m2 mag's,use m1 mag's...m2 mag's can really tare up the skin....hope this helps.

Fozz

Premium
Media
First Name
Michael
Thanks guys, I'm definitely going to try it again when I get some spare time next week and post the results here......

I think my mags are M1, but I still made minced-meat of that pigskin with it. I guess I just need to be gentler and not overwork the area..... And use bigger circles, about the size of penny or so on.....

Thanks for the critique guys :icon_cheesygrin:.....