First tattoo since starting apprenticeship

sheyd

Premium
First Name
Shey
sheycreative
That's a huge piece on a very prominent area for your first tattoo. I think it may have been a bit over your skill level. Here are a few of my thoughts:

1. I love the drawing.
2. the lining, in general, is pretty clean but there are some lines I can see right away that will probably fade/disappear through the healing process. There are also lines that don't meet, and even forgotten lines you didn't put in that I think messes with the overall piece.
3. The shading is pretty smooth but I think you could've played with the values more to have more contrast and depth. Everything kinda blends together.

It's ok to do smalled pieces as a beginner.
overall I think its a cool tattoo :)

Niko2614

Premium
First Name
Alex
That's a huge piece on a very prominent area for your first tattoo. I think it may have been a bit over your skill level. Here are a few of my thoughts:

1. I love the drawing.
2. the lining, in general, is pretty clean but there are some lines I can see right away that will probably fade/disappear through the healing process. There are also lines that don't meet, and even forgotten lines you didn't put in that I think messes with the overall piece.
3. The shading is pretty smooth but I think you could've played with the values more to have more contrast and depth. Everything kinda blends together.

It's ok to do smalled pieces as a beginner.
overall I think its a cool tattoo :)
It's actually on my cousin he couldn't sit anymore than the 3 hours so its going to have a 2nd session on it. I agree it could have been done better my mentor actually said the same things you did.. he wanted a "dark and sinister" tattoo so thats I aimed for

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
if your an apprentice - listen to your mentor. imo that's just that.

i agree with sheyd

dark & sinister doesn't have to mean single value black.

for a first piece you did good for what it is. you should not have done it. you should have done something far smaller & far easier & done a far better job. There is a lot of good elements there & there is a lot of potential.

this piece is maybe 60% great. with what is there, you could have done something smaller & easier & got it 90+% great. 30 tattoos like that & 3 months from now this tattoo would have been 90+% great.

luckily he is your cousin, luckily you have a second chance. don't take that second session until you have a lot more tattooing under your belt. make this one 90+% great

79josh81

Premium
Media
First Name
Josh
Do you have a better pic of it finished? I don’t want to be a dick, but it looks rough and like it hurt. Did the shop you’re apprenticing at approve you to do that as your first tattoo??? I’m guessing they didn’t. And If they did, honestly, you might want to find another place to apprentice at. I’m not going to just tell you what you want to hear so that’s my honest opinion. You have potential, but you really need to dumb it down when it comes to tattooing when you’re just starting out. Again I’m not trying to beat you up, but I think a lot of other members who have been here a lot longer than me would agree with what I’m saying.

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
I won't be as harsh as sheyd, gasden and josh, even though i think they have a point (or three) about the actual result.

I would argue on another point which is "was it a free tattoo"?
Since it's your cusin, i guess it was.
If that's a free tattoo, i think you did a good job for you as an apprentice.
I, and i may be the only one, think that you should challenge yourself quite hard if you believe you've got the required guts.

I guess you learnt a lot of things during this session, and i think you didn't mess anything that can't be retouched and get to the 90+% josh pointed out.
I think they gave you all the elements needed.
I'll add that making some bolder lines to add shadows (comic book inking of the venom character for eg.) would be a good thing.

A second session means you'll have to be as serious and challenging as this one.
I'd say take a long time to reflect and work on everything that can level this UP. Draw back what's missing, find the good contrast areas, work before you get it done!
In my eyes (and let's see what others could point out), nothing here is messed up. It seems you have a good ground to raise this tattoo to the sinister Hell it deserve.

So, to me, it's been a good move yet on your apprenticeship, and if you feel you made a step up from it, don't follow too much of the rules, aka "you shouldn't have..."
This can't apply to everyone and to a paid tattoo, of course.
You have to act responsible but also get freaky with the flow sometimes, if you think you're the perfect freak to get there.

Peace,

DKJ

Last edited:

JAY.B

Premium
First Name
JAY
You’re an absolute nutcase to take on a neck as your first tattoo. Love your confidence but confidence can quickly turn into stupidity. First tattoo I did was on a leg and I was shaking like a leaf. I would recommend not blasting anymore necks for a good while this could have gone a lot worse

Chustik

Premium
First Name
Gerard
gerard_van_nierop
Bold move as your first tatt, not because of the visibility but because thats a tricky area to tattoo. it gets red and swollen super quick and has a lot of variable skin tightness and thickness.

Like others have said, try to go for easier areas like arms and legs, you will have an easier time learning.

Would love to see a healed pic!

Remove Ads