P First Tattoo Using a Rotary

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
I didn't know if I would take to a rotary so I got a cheap one from ebay and did a Winnie the Pooh tattoo for somebody who didn't like the noise of my coil machine, you can tell by the picture the lines get better as I get the feel for the machine.

IMG_0132.jpg

msrsimpkin

Premium
First Name
Rachael
I've been contemplating getting a rotary machine recently. Just out of interest, how does it compare to a coil machine? Is it easier to use? Are there any major cons to rotary vs coils?

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
I must admit after a few lines the rotary seems easier to follow the stencil, and the line seem tighter than with a coil machine, I only used it for the outline I think I need to put some hours in to get to know the machine, with it being rotary it is easier to overwork the skin because the needle bar is attached directly to the motor so if you push a bit hard there is no buffer, if you can afford something like the hawk then that is a different set up and can be less harmful to the skin but the hawk will cost you about *£320 and mine cost me *£30 from ebay.

regards
Tony

msrsimpkin

Premium
First Name
Rachael
That's good to know because it lines that I'm having trouble with at the moment. I'm finding that the vibrations that my coil machine gives off can occasionally cause me to "wibble" a bit. I have pretty small hands and at certain angles it can be difficult to handle the weight of my coil machine. I might look into getting a reasonably cheap rotary to try out.

I heard a couple of people mention about it being too easy to overwork the skin with a rotary machine too. Although I am in the process of doing a tattoo on my thigh (currently waiting for the outline to heal before adding colour and shading), so I guess I already have a canvas to practice on! Hehe.

Which reminds me actually, do you need separate machines for lining, shading and packing? Since I realise there's no need to tune or setup the machine, I wondered if you had to have separate machines for each job?

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
Hi Rachael, no you don't need two machines you can use most rotary machines for the hole job but like I said before, be carful if you use it to put colour in they can be a bit harsh, if your looking for a cheap well made machine that looks and works the same as a stealth go to ebay and the item number is 310321072857 the maker does not try to sell them as a stealth and they may be a bit heavier than a stealth but for *£30 including post, you can't go wrong, i'm really happy with mine.

regards
Tony

msrsimpkin

Premium
First Name
Rachael
Hi Tony. Thanks for the info, I'll take a look. I'll let you know if I end up getting one and what I think of it :)