• Later today, the site will be offline for essential server upgrades. This upgrade should run without any problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.

first time tattoo on the forearm and have questions please?

adbarnesh

Basic
First Name
adbar
hey everyone new here, i am planning to get half of my forearm tattooed and what draws me back is the tattoo place has so many rules after the tattoo such as:

This seems like so much work that people with tattoos can't bath, swim, sauna ,etc. what gives
Aftercare

• Remove the bandages after 2-3 hours. Do not re-bandage the tattoo.
  • Carefully wash your tattoo with warm water and unscented anti-bacterial soap. Make sure the water does not directly touch the tattooed surface. Gently lather, and do not scrub the surface of the tattoo.
  • Let the area air-dry or pat it down gently with a paper towel.
  • Apply a thin layer of specialized tattoo moisturizer (Tat Wax/ Tattoo Goo) 3 to 5 times a day. If you prefer, you can also use A & D ointment.
  • Peeling and flaking of skin is normal. DO NOT pick or scratch your tattoo.

Things to Avoid

• Do not soak your tattoo.
  • Avoid Swimming, bathing, saunas and hot tubs.
  • Avoid exposure to direct sunlight, UV rays, and tanning.
  • Do not wear tight fitting clothing, shoes, jewelry that can irritate the tattoo.
  • Always wash your hands before handling the tattoo.

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
That's not their rules. That's how you heal a tattoo. It's always been that way. This is a massive open wound you're trying to heal. Google images of a soaked tattoo to see what it can do. If you can't handle avoiding these things for a couple of weeks then you might want to rethink getting a tattoo until you're more prepared to heal it properly. Otherwise it's either going to look like crap or get infected, both of which are going to cost you even more to take care.

adbarnesh

Basic
First Name
adbar
That's not their rules. That's how you heal a tattoo. It's always been that way. This is a massive open wound you're trying to heal. Google images of a soaked tattoo to see what it can do. If you can't handle avoiding these things for a couple of weeks then you might want to rethink getting a tattoo until you're more prepared to heal it properly. Otherwise it's either going to look like crap or get infected, both of which are going to cost you even more to take care.
shit i was thinking once the tattoo is done it's over. I think showering and seeing the tattoo get messed up would be heartbreaking

adbarnesh

Basic
First Name
adbar
thanks also what drug would you reccomend for sedation? is morphine or codeine good to ask the doctor?

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
yea. that is fairly standard practice right there. things i mostly agree with. 1 or 2 i don't.

search around on this site for aftercare procedures... you will see various methods, reasonings, & such... but at their core... keep it clean, be very delicate, & don't eff w/it.

-----------------------------
LOL
if you need drugs for sedation - might as well go all out & it the tar dealer. but then again... most, if not all, regulated tattoo shops can't tattoo you if you look intoxicated/not of right mind.

adbarnesh

Basic
First Name
adbar
yea. that is fairly standard practice right there. things i mostly agree with. 1 or 2 i don't.

search around on this site for aftercare procedures... you will see various methods, reasonings, & such... but at their core... keep it clean, be very delicate, & don't eff w/it.

-----------------------------
LOL
if you need drugs for sedation - might as well go all out & it the tar dealer. but then again... most, if not all, regulated tattoo shops can't tattoo you if you look intoxicated/not of right mind.

thanks yes i would need a pain killer . I don't want to be screaming in the parlor , the inside of my forearm skin is so thin

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
thing is, certain drugs can mess with your blood, making them thinner &/or mess w/how the skin takes ink (lidocaine).

part of the "addictive" nature of tattoos is the endorphin rush you'll get. the forearm is one of the least painful places to get inked & you'll be fine. your body will recognize trauma & start producing it's own painkiller.

will it hurt? i don't think it does. lot's of people do think so though... but they get through it. get a good night sleep. eat a good meal before you go of what ever it is you consider healthy (don't suddenly try a keto diet if your normally a pasta eater). bring a drink or 2 with you (Avoid caffeine).

you'll be fine. this is one of those "face your fears" moments in your life that you will be better for afterwards. you fear the unknown, don't believe in yourself, but force yourself to do it anyway... & you learn something about yourself & grow like you never would have w/out that experience. this is more than just an image on your arm.... this is an experience that will help define you as a person & that image will be your reminder that you succeeded.

Remove Ads

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Getting a tattoo is almost like having a baby - the horror stories you hear before 😱

I'm pretty sure from reading your posts, that your idea of the pain is about 100 times worse than in reality. It hurts (sometimes), yes, but with Gadsdens advice in mind you will do just great 👍🏼

Show us the tattoo when it's done! 😃

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.