Flat Needle Group is a Slice

Chamberzezz

Premium
First Name
Ailin
I read somewhere that if a flat needle group is used incorrectly, then it can basically slice the skin like a blade. This obviously made me want to run a mile from them as I have a box. BUT, at some point I'd probably want to use them and should really face up and learn to use them.

Anyway, Is this true about the needle? If so what is a good and none slicey why of using them?

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
If you use the edge of the flat and run the machine too fast then yes it can slice like a knife, a magnum is a safer bet and you can use them side on to get to tight areas but mags do take a bit of practice and can tear skin, I avoided mags for a long time as I had previously butchered myself but once you get the hang of them they can cover a big area quickly and can create nice effects.

inkstar

Premium
First Name
OG
hi there yes a flat can cut like a kinfe what you need to do is get a bit of paper and go under over under over on the needles then push the paper down in to the needle so its not flat like a kinfe blade , this works well then it will look like a stacked mag but with only one row ,not 2 hope this helps

Tarantula

Premium
First Name
Jais
Its the same as anything, if you use it wrong you'll damage someone. the type of mag inkstar is talking about is a woven mag, a stacked mag can do as much damage as a flat if used incorrectly as the meedles are stacked on top of eachother. With a woven mag you get all the benefits of 2 rows of needes but with the trauma of a single row. If you turn a flat up on it's edge that's when you can do the damage but with practice you can easily do a whole tattoo with a flat.
If you do decide to go with a woven mag - buy them, don't force stuff down between them as you can bugger the tips or, even worse, contaminate them.

http://www.thetattooshop.co.uk/shop/size-12-weaved-magnum-shader-tattoo-needles.html not a lot of difference in the price.

inkstar

Premium
First Name
OG
Its the same as anything, if you use it wrong you'll damage someone. the type of mag inkstar is talking about is a woven mag, a stacked mag can do as much damage as a flat if used incorrectly as the meedles are stacked on top of eachother. With a woven mag you get all the benefits of 2 rows of needes but with the trauma of a single row. If you turn a flat up on it's edge that's when you can do the damage but with practice you can easily do a whole tattoo with a flat.
If you do decide to go with a woven mag - buy them, don't force stuff down between them as you can bugger the tips or, even worse, contaminate them.

http://www.thetattooshop.co.uk/shop/size-12-weaved-magnum-shader-tattoo-needles.html not a lot of difference in the price.
hi yeh i for got to say that i have an autoclave so when im done i run in the clave so no worry about contamination, as for the tips on the needles ive been making needles for years, no needles are perfect even pre made you will find one or two needles in a flat with hooks on them