fresh start

Vitki Veiruz

Premium
Media
First Name
Andrew
hi I'm fresh out of prison. I tattooed I'm there for years but now I want to do it the right way.
I've already been trying to learn hygiene and safe workstation techniques. I implemented them as often as possible I'm that environment.
I would like any advice anyone has, I'm eager and willing to learn.

Remove Ads Close

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
go premium, ask questions, accept criticism. You'll learn pretty quick that way.

and Howdy from Texas

Vitki Veiruz

Premium
Media
First Name
Andrew
go premium, ask questions, accept criticism. You'll learn pretty quick that way.

and Howdy from Texas
thanks for the support
any advice on what kind of machine to start with? in obviously one accustomed to rotary due to where I started
and personal in skeptical of cartridges

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
Hi and welcome to the forum ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ Go premium as Mark says, you'll have loads of information there that you don't have access to now ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ that's where we talk.

Last edited:

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
thanks for the support
any advice on what kind of machine to start with? in obviously one accustomed to rotary due to where I started
and personal in skeptical of cartridges
Cartridges are the shit..make life so much easier. I can run 5 needle configurations on one machine.

I've used a few rotaries. I like the pens. Your budget will determine what direction you go. You can spend 10-1000...

For under 200 I like the hummingbird. But you can't run cartridges with it.
I've used bishop machines, real nice...
FK spectra edge X is f'n amazing
My next one will be the Xion pen I think.

Dzikichrzan

Premium
First Name
Jakub
Instagram
@dzikichrzan
Yeeeees Mark XION only :D but now im thinking about having Edge x as i still have loads of disposable stuff from my coil. Andrew Hi Hello and welcome Here :) like Mark said just follow these rules and you will get there

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
Cartridges are useful but can be expensive, there are hundreds of brands of carts out there varying in price, some good, some rubbish, i use a mixture of standard bars and tubes as well as carts depending how i feel, if i need just one size shader for a job then i will use standard needle and tube, if i need two or more needles then i use carts, i only use standard needle and tube and coil machines for all line work.

troub1edsou1z

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Tom
Welcome....def go premium, you'll get a lot more help and response that way. As far as machines I can't comment on any type of rotary because I like my coils....just something about that sound lol and when you have them tuned right it seems effortless....I have used the 1st gen halo's from FK irons and still have them, but my opinion similar to what Andy said, for me rotaries seem decent for shading and color work but for lining its coils all the way. I do like the cartridge system so i dont have 4-5 machines set up but I just like my coils....It would be real nice if they could make a cartridge system for coils....

Vitki Veiruz

Premium
Media
First Name
Andrew
thank you everyone for the advice
I defiantly plan to go premium asap
just hard right now being new to the free world
I do like the idea of coils with the customization just a new thing to learn

dirtnail

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Pieter
Vitki Veiruz welcome on board mate! Like said before, premium is where the juicy stuff is at. Also useful info on figuring which machine you want to get. Just randomly buying machines can get expensive very quickly :eek:

troub1edsou1z you can easily put cartridges on coils... I don't like it but you can :giggle:
Would be nice if there was a fixed bar cartridge system though :unsure:

Torb

Premium
Media
First Name
Torbjorn
Hey mate. Great you are planning on a career in tattooing. I'm a coil fan. Love tinkering with them. Like the weight and the noise too. They also feel like they will last forever. Enjoy your freedom๐Ÿ‘

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
Hey mate. Great you are planning on a career in tattooing. I'm a coil fan. Love tinkering with them. Like the weight and the noise too. They also feel like they will last forever. Enjoy your freedom๐Ÿ‘
Coils do sound great, yesterday in our shop 3 of us were running coils, each machine ran at a slightly different pitch, it sounded musical ๐Ÿ˜Š

troub1edsou1z

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Tom
Vitki Veiruz welcome on board mate! Like said before, premium is where the juicy stuff is at. Also useful info on figuring which machine you want to get. Just randomly buying machines can get expensive very quickly :eek:

troub1edsou1z you can easily put cartridges on coils... I don't like it but you can :giggle:
Would be nice if there was a fixed bar cartridge system though :unsure:
Isn't there already a spring system set up in the cartridge? If so that will just add unneeded wear to the machine, and I would imagine eventually throw your tune off..

dirtnail

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Pieter
Isn't there already a spring system set up in the cartridge? If so that will just add unneeded wear to the machine, and I would imagine eventually throw your tune off..
yes there is... and indeed it probably will. I meant it's technically possible... but I wouldn't advice doing it.
I tried it and was able to tattoo, but it was very obvious that the machine was running far from optimal.