Friday the 13th tattoos

Jerry7297

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Jerry
So I wanted to post these and just had not gotten around to it. I know the problems in all of them. I would love to hear them from other as well. These are all about 45 min tattoos I think. TexasPT may know better than me. 7RL, 9 RS and alittle 9MG action on them. The candle was the only one outlined with a 9RL. Let me know what you think. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_8603.JPG
    IMG_8603.JPG
    112.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8605.JPG
    IMG_8605.JPG
    167.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8608.JPG
    IMG_8608.JPG
    163.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8609.JPG
    IMG_8609.JPG
    137.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8610.JPG
    IMG_8610.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 18

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Definitely not the style I should comment on, just wanted to say it's awesome you did this at Mark's studio! ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

sheyd

Premium
First Name
Shey
sheycreative
These are nice. What kind of critique are you looking for technical and/or artistic?

KyleBl4ck

Premium
Media
First Name
Kyle
MrSinister2099
Best one is definitely the purple 13. That one is the most technically sound for sure.
That ones the one for Instagram and Social media promotion for sure even if it wasnt on a butt.

The others have some issues if you zoom in and look at every aspect but they're still quality tattoos. Definitely good for a Friday the 13th run especially since from my experience those are fast and in and out tattoo days. I dont miss it but the money is nice on those days ๐Ÿ˜‚

I can add more critique on em if you want but I agree with PTs post so trying to refrain from going to deep on a tattoo because it'd honestly just be nit-picking.

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
fri the 13th (13$??) tattoos... not going to be masterpieces. but these are fairly quality.

Cool that you got to do them w/a member. That would be awesome to see more of. Helping, collaborating, & working together here & in person.

i agree on the purple 13... pretty damn flawless imo.
the rest do have shakes, wiggles, niggles & the shading on the candle isn't right to me.

i would say the only stand out negative to me is the beer piece. the single line on the round part of the 3 is noticeably not consistent. beyond that i can't tell if those are chicken drumsticks or what.

The rounded part of the 3 on the candle stands out as well.

All in all - i'm jealous you were tattooing last Friday & I was at a J O B.

Jerry7297

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Jerry
These are nice. What kind of critique are you looking for technical and/or artistic?
Whatever you feel like sharing. As I said before, I know what I feel like are wrong with them IMO. But everyone has opinions. Artistic not too much as these are simple line drawing quick tattoos. The rule was black shading and one color. I broke the rule on a couple.

Remove Ads

Jerry7297

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Jerry
Best one is definitely the purple 13. That one is the most technically sound for sure.
That ones the one for Instagram and Social media promotion for sure even if it wasnt on a butt.

The others have some issues if you zoom in and look at every aspect but they're still quality tattoos. Definitely good for a Friday the 13th run especially since from my experience those are fast and in and out tattoo days. I dont miss it but the money is nice on those days ๐Ÿ˜‚

I can add more critique on em if you want but I agree with PTs post so trying to refrain from going to deep on a tattoo because it'd honestly just be nit-picking.

Funny you say that the "13" is the best one. It was ok but I was really nervous as that was the 1st one of the day and the first tattoo in a shop. It could had been better but the lines went into her ass very well, lol.

Jerry7297

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Jerry
fri the 13th (13$??) tattoos... not going to be masterpieces. but these are fairly quality.

Cool that you got to do them w/a member. That would be awesome to see more of. Helping, collaborating, & working together here & in person.

i agree on the purple 13... pretty damn flawless imo.
the rest do have shakes, wiggles, niggles & the shading on the candle isn't right to me.

i would say the only stand out negative to me is the beer piece. the single line on the round part of the 3 is noticeably not consistent. beyond that i can't tell if those are chicken drumsticks or what.

The rounded part of the 3 on the candle stands out as well.

All in all - i'm jealous you were tattooing last Friday & I was at a J O B.

Thanks for your input. I do agree, fucking number "3:... lol Both had their issues.

What do you mean you were at a "J O B"? Isnt tattooing a Job?

KyleBl4ck

Premium
Media
First Name
Kyle
MrSinister2099
Funny you say that the "13" is the best one. It was ok but I was really nervous as that was the 1st one of the day and the first tattoo in a shop. It could had been better but the lines went into her ass very well, lol.
Yea thats the main reason it's the best one.
Smoothest lines and smoothest color fill on a really hard part of the body to tattoo.

sheyd

Premium
First Name
Shey
sheycreative
Overall good job. Nice quick tattoos for a special. My favorite and the one I would wear is the Grim Reaper.

A few technical critiques:
1. Your lines are a bit inconsistent in some parts. Both in depth and control. I think you should find out a way to steady your hand a bit more. I'm new at this but a few tips I've learned so far on my journey are: Find a different grip something that's both steady, relaxed, and comfortable. Training your hand to use your pinky and ring finger as guides. Trying to line from your elbow/shoulder vs wrist. Practicing line drills every day (which isn't fun lol).
2. Sometimes your lines don't meet, so make sure you continue a line until you're slightly overlapping the next line.
3. Your saturation is pretty good and even, but it looks like you don't take the color all the way to the edge sometimes. But to be honest I'm not sure what's supposed to be skin breaks and what's just saturation issues.

KyleBl4ck

Premium
Media
First Name
Kyle
MrSinister2099
2. Sometimes your lines don't meet, so make sure you continue a line until you're slightly overlapping the next line.
I agree with this one, a way to fix the inconsistent lines is tapering into the line by slowly going into the original line from right before the point it ended. It's really hard to do as most of you probably already know but it helps you with the "smoother" looking lines.

I wish there was a video to explain it better but there isnt....

So Ill just do this :

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - < if you can't finish a line make sure to move out of skin like an airplane taking off. Angled away not straight up and down.

So say this is the original line,
You want to drop in like this -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - < last hit of first line, dont drop here.

...............................................^ drop in about here at the same angle but make sure you're precise with your movements or it will cause a blow out or dot in linework.

This isn't directed at you Jerry, this is just an explanation of how to do it properly and not have dots / breaks in lines.

Jerry7297

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Jerry
Overall good job. Nice quick tattoos for a special. My favorite and the one I would wear is the Grim Reaper.

A few technical critiques:
1. Your lines are a bit inconsistent in some parts. Both in depth and control. I think you should find out a way to steady your hand a bit more. I'm new at this but a few tips I've learned so far on my journey are: Find a different grip something that's both steady, relaxed, and comfortable. Training your hand to use your pinky and ring finger as guides. Trying to line from your elbow/shoulder vs wrist. Practicing line drills every day (which isn't fun lol).
3. Your saturation is pretty good and even, but it looks like you don't take the color all the way to the edge sometimes. But to be honest I'm not sure what's supposed to be skin breaks and what's just saturation issues.
Thanks for the reply. Lining is not always a huge problem for me but this day as I said I was nervous. Your suggestions are all correct. As for the saturation/ skin breaks, they are all intentional but sometimes I feel like my judgment is wrong. Like the reaper, why did I leave the red skin break under his chin??? IDK, looking back I do not think I should had. The reaper is my fav and except for that little line that didnt connect I think that one is the best. Sometimes simple is harder...

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
J O B (Just Over Broke)- tattooing isn't my full time gig. I tattoo friends, family, co-workers from my day job & the occasional referral.

as far as "J O B" - I used to love to airbrush. then I did it as a career. Then it became a grind. I am still bright eyed & bushy tailed when it comes to tattooing. I could maybe work in a shop. I could maybe make more than I do at my day job. I would for sure get better at tattooing. I know that I would grow to not like it anymore & it's something that I "have" to do.

at this point I am happy letting people that are better artists & have stronger passion than me be the pros & the experts. & my self doing the best quality I can within what I feel are my abilities.

Beirdo

Premium
First Name
Josh
J O B (Just Over Broke)- tattooing isn't my full time gig. I tattoo friends, family, co-workers from my day job & the occasional referral.

as far as "J O B" - I used to love to airbrush. then I did it as a career. Then it became a grind. I am still bright eyed & bushy tailed when it comes to tattooing. I could maybe work in a shop. I could maybe make more than I do at my day job. I would for sure get better at tattooing. I know that I would grow to not like it anymore & it's something that I "have" to do.

at this point I am happy letting people that are better artists & have stronger passion than me be the pros & the experts. & my self doing the best quality I can within what I feel are my abilities.
Did the airbrush thing for a bit myself though I was terrible at charging the right amount and never made enough money at it. Definitely became a grind once it became a job and sort of killed it for me. Really enjoying the new challenges that tattooing is bringing up. And the similarities.

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
Did the airbrush thing for a bit myself
cool.
i had my entire airbrush set up basically stolen back in 2011. some of those airbrushes & equipment I had for almost 20 years. i had also moved my entire portfolio online & lost that too. that was hard.
i bought a new eclipse 2 years ago. I used it to paint my bicycle. I haven't painted a thing other than that.
i'm about ready though. i think i'll be buying a few more & get back into some more work. i don't ever see myself doing cars or t-shirts or any other type of retail like that again.

you have any pics of your work?

Last edited:

Beirdo

Premium
First Name
Josh
cool.
i had my entire airbrush set up basically stolen back in 2011. some of those airbrushes & equipment I had for almost 20 years. i had also moved my entire portfolio online & lost that too. that was hard.
i bought a new eclipse 2 years ago. I used to paint my bicycle. I haven't painted a thing other than that.
i'm about ready though. i think i'll be buying a few more & get back into some more work. i don't ever see myself doing cars or t-shirts or any other type of retail like that again.

you have any pics of your work?
Damn man, sorry to hear about the loss of the equipment! I kept my brushes for ages but I guess I hadn't cleaned them out before putting them away so they got all gummy and lost track of them. I picked up a cheap masters for crafting and may run some ink through it to see what happens. I dont have as many pics as I'd like myself sadly though a bunch of my YouTube tutorials are still up. Im attaching what I could find that isn't a 3x5 photo in a binder. Man its been a while for some of these.

Attachments

• brandy_on_a_t_shirt_by_tophatpainter_d1c4wph-fullview.jpg
    brandy_on_a_t_shirt_by_tophatpainter_d1c4wph-fullview.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 2
  • what_the_____by_tophatpainter_d1c75jp-fullview.jpg
    what_the_____by_tophatpainter_d1c75jp-fullview.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 3
  • woman_by_tophatpainter_d1c75rs-fullview.jpg
    woman_by_tophatpainter_d1c75rs-fullview.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 3
  • eagle_by_tophatpainter_d1chvh8-fullview.jpg
    eagle_by_tophatpainter_d1chvh8-fullview.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 3
  • break_free_by_tophatpainter_d1es6wf-fullview.jpg
    break_free_by_tophatpainter_d1es6wf-fullview.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 2
  • a_little_biggie_smalls_by_tophatpainter_d2nln72-fullview.jpg
    a_little_biggie_smalls_by_tophatpainter_d2nln72-fullview.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 2

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
the brandy - i have yet to do a bleach erase on on a shirt... the orangy background w/the bluish white.... good choice. really like how she turned out

the biggie - not a big fan of him... but that is a great piece. i'd put my black & grey portrait work against anyone's & that piece would make me nervous

great idea w/the eagle on the leather. was that a commissioned piece or did you just do it?

some of the others are a little "loose" imo - but I like that WAY better than stenciled work. freehand wins the day.

i actually really like all of them. good job.

Beirdo

Premium
First Name
Josh
the brandy - i have yet to do a bleach erase on on a shirt... the orangy background w/the bluish white.... good choice. really like how she turned out

the biggie - not a big fan of him... but that is a great piece. i'd put my black & grey portrait work against anyone's & that piece would make me nervous

great idea w/the eagle on the leather. was that a commissioned piece or did you just do it?

some of the others are a little "loose" imo - but I like that WAY better than stenciled work. freehand wins the day.

i actually really like all of them. good job.
Thanks man. I had a lot more work but that's all I seemed to have on my deviant page worth showing.
The eagle on leather was total experimenting. I did a few other pieces like that but again that's all I could drum up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.