P Front Binding Post Question... Might Be an Odd One Though..

Chamberzezz

Premium
First Name
Ailin
I'm looking into upgrading my machines, basically because one is a budget one and is a bit on the naff side compared to the the others I have. Anyway, I'm going to replace the front bonding post and contact screw (To start with). So far I've seen then with Copper contact screws and Silver contact screws. My question is, does silver make a difference to Copper? If so what is it? And depending on which one I go for, will I need a particular front Spring?

Thanks

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Silver contact screws are better than brass,you get a better contact & less sparking...you can also get front springs that have a silver tip on them...if you are using a silver contact screw,you do not need any particular front spring.

Chamberzezz

Premium
First Name
Ailin
Ok cool. So (for example) If i got a binding post with silver screw. It wouldn't matter if I got a front spring that didn't have silver on it....

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Ok cool. So (for example) If i got a binding post with silver screw. It wouldn't matter if I got a front spring that didn't have silver on it....
Correct...although you will have to replace the contact screw more often than say a brass one,because the silver ones wear quicker (softer metal )

Chamberzezz

Premium
First Name
Ailin
Correct...although you will have to replace the contact screw more often than say a brass one,because the silver ones wear quicker (softer metal )
Cool stuff thanks.. Don't suppose you know where I can get hold of an Armature Bar that I can choose the weight. The ones I've found seem to be just Armature Bars, no other information on them...

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
Wildangel on ebay manufacture thereown springs, contact screws and armature bars, when selecting a armature bar you go by length they are usually 38, 40 and 41 mm long, heavy bar for shading, lighter bar for lining, to lighten a bar you can carve the edges, mill the top or drill holes in the sides to reduce the weight, or if you want more speed, change the springs.

I highly recommend wildangel, great people to deal with.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/WILDANGEL-TATTOO-SUPPLIES?_trksid=p4340.l2563

Joey Desormeaux book called "tattoo machine set up, tuning and maintenance" is well worth a read, explains all about everything you could possibly want to know.