December drawing contest now active! Here

Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Grey Wash Formula

Junior

Basic
First Name
Jan
Hi Guys & Gals,

Im still relatively new to this site as you may have noticed from my first thread. Excuse the naivety. I'm currently using Kuro Sumi Lining ink and mixing it with either distilled water or witch hazel dependng on the skin type but wanted to make my own grey washes.

Does anyone have a trusted and tested system? I'm looking at making it up in 125ml bottles and with 5 being a straight black and then 4 washes.

is it better to have a mix of both distilled water and witch hazel when making these? If so what % of each..

any help in a written formula would be much appreciated

Remove Ads Close

Sl1pperyweasel

Get more ink..
Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Graham
Use the search... There are quite a few posts abt it. Somewhere in there iv posted a pdf which shows the ratios.

Junior

Basic
First Name
Jan
Hey, can anyone even confirm this would be ok for 125ml solutions...

125ml Ink + 125ml DS Water
= 250ml
Mix and half into bottle No. 5 (125ml)
Dark Wash - 50%

125ml of this Mix + 125ml DS Water
= 250ml
Mix and half into bottle No. 4 (125ml)
Med Dark Wash - 25%

= 250ml
Mix and half into bottle No. 3 (125ml)
Med Wash - 12.5%

= 250ml
Mix and half into bottle No. 2 (125ml)
Light Wash - 6.25%

= 250ml
Mix and half into bottle No. 1 (125ml)
Xtra Light Wash - 3.125%

This leaves 125ml of the last No. 1 Xtra Light Wash remaining.
Would this be correct?? Thanks for your help

Ink sponge

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Adrian
Yes that will work but there's lots of mixing and your making hard work for yourself. Lets say your using 120 mm bottles because the math is easier. I use 3 washes dark, med and light.
Line up your sterile bottles. Put 60mm I the first. 90mm in the second and 105mm in the third. Then top them up to the neck with lining ink. Shake and you got 50/25/12.5 washes. You can use the same system to get your 6 and 3 percent if you want too. Just half the difference of water you added to your next bottle.
I think that's too many values personally and there not enough difference in your washes to justify making them. As you dip from one cap to another your just going to end up with one value in your last 3 caps.
With the first three washes that I use if you want a lighter value hit your cap then your rinse cup and drop down to your required value manually. Hope that helps.

Rising Star

Premium
Media
Just mix cup by cup for each tattoo - easy enough, I personally find that its easier to match it up to the persons skin tone then.

I have also never understood such high ratio's of ink to witch hazel/water - my lightets wash has like 3 drips of ink to a large cap - but thats just me :icon_biggrin:

Fruthomsen

Premium
First Name
Sanda
Do you use the same "formula" to mix other colours? ...-like dark purple, medium purple, light purple....?

Probably a stupid question, but hey, that´s just me:icon_confused:

troub1edsou1z

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Tom
I think you'd be better off using white to lighten your colors so you don't lose the viscosity of the pigment. Now if your looking to thin the ink, then use the same thing they use in the ingredients. ie, if it's mixed with water, then use water. If it's mixed with witch hazel then use that......

Fruthomsen

Premium
First Name
Sanda
I think you'd be better off using white to lighten your colors so you don't lose the viscosity of the pigment. Now if your looking to thin the ink, then use the same thing they use in the ingredients. ie, if it's mixed with water, then use water. If it's mixed with witch hazel then use that......
Okay, that makes sence:icon_cheesygrin: Thank you!

mrtattootoyou

Banned
First Name
adam
yeah i second that actually if you got the dollar to spare buy a set but sticking a bit of white in doesnt harm anyone :)

troub1edsou1z

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Tom
I agree with Adam, it's better to have at least a dark and a light of each color. When trying to get your mid tones, don't wash out. Wipe the tip, then dip in your light color. Run the machine out of the cap to mix the color then go into the skin...keep dippin in the light color until you get that colors pure pigment. The only color I know that this doesn't work with is going into white. If you want pure white, make sure your tube is clean or you'll get a tinge of the last color that was in there......(just a little tip)

mrtattootoyou

Banned
First Name
adam
oh god yeah you'll never get pure white if theres even the slightest bit of another col on the needle

*very bad past experiences with this*

hYSobe

Premium
First Name
Jamie
sorry to bump this thread but why isn't there a 75% value? is it not that noticable the difference between 100% black and 50%? if you just whip the 100% out and go to 50 can't you really notice? or do you dip into the 50% and keep whipping it out since if you dip from 100% to 50% it will gradually reach the 50% ? just wondering :)

Junior

Basic
First Name
Jan
Sorry to all been away for a while but back with a bang hehe and thank you to you all for your help and posts. Will sort my upgrade this week too