Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.
Register Log in

Grey wash

First Name
Frankie B
Thread starter #1
Just a question ? What do you use to delute your black to make grey wash ? Is distilled water ok ? any feed back is welcomed thanks. ED

Davey

The boss
Admin
First Name
Davey
Correct Ed. Always try to use distilled water, as it doesnt contain as much lime etc.

First Name
Frankie B
Thread starter #5
No it was just a question i read somewhere that distilled water was ok to use . I have no idea what else is used , maybe some pointers in that way might help.

i was told that original listerine mouthwash was ok to use as its sterile but was unsure so havent tried... does anyone know if thats the case??

Deziner

The Bitch!
Premium
First Name
Claire
Davey said:
Correct Ed. Always try to use distilled water, as it doesnt contain as much lime etc.
I use tap water. Its never let me down! It doesn't matter if you drink it or run an open wound under the tap, so its not that bad i'd say. :)

Morpheus59

Tattoo Enthusiast
Premium
First Name
Randy Higgins
Most tutorials I've learned from say to use distilled water, or Witch Hazel, which you can get from the pharmacy, One actually said to se vodka!! But i think the alcohol would sting.u

First Name
Ronnie
hi all its been a while but for greywash i tend to use distilled whichazel which works well for me. You can buy it at any chemist or wilkinson store for a couple of pounds. never had problems with any reactions.

Heres how i do it
3 ink cups
first one with half black half witchazel
second cup 3 drips of black toped up with witchazel
tird cup 1 drip toped up with witchazel
Make sure you mix it well or it will show up white on the skin
works well for me

Cheers
Ron

inkaholic

i find that it personal preference, I use distilled water, i also use kuro sumi grey wash only and feather it out, or cross hatch, witch hazel will give a different Flo, it's just down to preference tho i would stay clear of tap water, no other reason than to cover your ass!
needle use would also make a difference along with machine set up, i now use a swash drive rotary for shade, slow!!! less trauma so i can build, generally i use a curved mag. or weaved, and rarely a circular motion!
There are lots of answers to this ? but the best is to find what suites your style, from all of these! :rolleyes: that's my 10peneth

First Name
Walt
Wash

Ive tried every trick under the sun and found that for me the very best is a mix of 50/50 pure glycerin and witch hazel still sterile due to the witch hazel and the glycerine gives it some thickness so its not so runny