P Having A bloody Nightmare!!!!!!

Brizobear

Premium
Media
First Name
brian
hey ppl, I NEED HELP FAST!
had a tattoo tonight, some tribal work. the out line went good, really quick.
but when it came to colouring in I struggled to get the ink to go in.

I tried a brand new packer and a shader, also tried a 7mag and 18rs.

I got the ink in but think its gonna be patchy,
I dont know if i wasnt stretching the skin enough.

also i was using one black ink....... it seemed really watery

need serious advice . :icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry::icon_cry:

cheers

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
Re: Having Abloody Nightmare!!!!!!

The two things that have happened to me are one had he been drinking and two did the area you tattooed swell up, if it swells up then if you wrap it up with cling film for about 20 mins normally the swelling goes down and you can carry on.

Brizobear

Premium
Media
First Name
brian

Nah m8, neither .
The Ink I was using seemed watery when it was put in the skin, I had the machines running about 9volts .

maggot

Premium
Media
First Name
colin

can only tell you its not the ink i use one ink and it is watery but very good

Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink
Premium
First Name
Steve Morris

Its hard to get a solid colour packed into a black tribal full stop. Have you tried a 7mag? and power lining? Sometimes you REALLY need to stretch the skin, I done one a while back and the skin was like rubber! If you are doing a big tribal dont use green soap, the alcohol in the mix will make the skin very swollen, the client will hit their pain threshold quicker and you will have to complete the tattoo in 2 sittings.

Hope this helps

Steve

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark

Hey Bri,
how big is the tat & where on the body is it ??? One ink is good mate,i use it myself,make sure you give the bottle a good shake,every time you fill a cap...keep the skin tight & do the fill with small tight circles...take your time with the filling in,but be carefull not to overwork it...

Brizobear

Premium
Media
First Name
brian
hey mark,
that tatt was on the tricep and about 6" long and 5" wide. took about 2hrs to finish but looked patchy.

when i was working small circles and then wiped the skin it was bareley shaded,
maybe i was'nt stretching the skin tight enough or maybe i had too much petroleum jelly on the skin:icon_confused: I did however change ink on one of the blades and it seemed to go in better but not great:icon_rolleyes:

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
hey mark,
that tatt was on the tricep and about 6" long and 5" wide. took about 2hrs to finish but looked patchy.

when i was working small circles and then wiped the skin it was bareley shaded,
maybe i was'nt stretching the skin tight enough or maybe i had too much petroleum jelly on the skin:icon_confused: I did however change ink on one of the blades and it seemed to go in better but not great:icon_rolleyes:
only use a very thin layer of pet jelly,it cloggs the tip.....& try to keep the skin as tight as poss...when doing a tricep,have them sitting with their back to you,with the arm streched out behind them.....always make sure you give the bottle a good shake to mix the ink up...

Magicalelephant

Premium
First Name
Neil
Also try using a few caps of ink as every time you dip your needles your watering down your ink with blood!

sunj5976

Premium
Media
First Name
john
i was experiencing similar things,
doing a self tat on my leg, the lining came out as expected but as i was fillin in the colour, i would wipe and literally nothing would be on the skin, and it would go red and bleed.

what i did was make sure your machine is around 45 degrees angel to the skin, work small circles and don't go to fast, slow it down like your waxing a car.

also maybe your machine isn't tuned properly, i normally have my packer set at 6 volts,, with around 1.5mm gap between contact screw and front spring when a bar is pushed down.

see how that works for ya,

troub1edsou1z

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Tom
The 45 degree thing is more for shading and blending color. Packing color should be more the same as lining. Make sure you have a nice tight stretch, it's key. The tighter your stretch, the easier the needles can penetrate and deposit ink. When packing color, your circles should be no wider than the tip of your tube. I am about 90% positive the petro jelly is the culprit to this. What happens is the needles penetrate and as they do the jelly gets between them. This causes 3 issues. 1) it doesn't allow the ink to flow down the needle when it enters the skin. 2) It blocks ink from entering the tube when dipping. 3) It's a moisture barrier. When ink comes in contact with it, it's like water on a fresh coat of wax...

Use an extremely small amount of jelly. You want it to have a dull sheen to it. If you think you have to much then after you apply, take your paper towel and gently give a quick wipe. Personally I don't use round shaders unless i'm doing tight detail work, but the next time it happens, stop and take a minute to clear it out. You'll thank yourself.

OldNslow

Premium
First Name
kev
The Johnny Gault videos on you tube are very helpful in my opinion , he talks plainly and clearly and doesn`t discriminate aganist `Scratchers`, not frightened to give away techniques that a lot of pro`s wont share

troub1edsou1z

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Tom
Hustle butter, aquaphor, bepanthen these all will work and are better then using straight petro jelly. Petro jelly acts like a barrier where the other products allow the skin to breathe. As with any of these, you need to apply very liberally...

Reactions: JP

Goldwingdaz

Premium Plus
First Name
Daz
Hustle butter, aquaphor, bepanthen these all will work and are better then using straight petro jelly. Petro jelly acts like a barrier where the other products allow the skin to breathe. As with any of these, you need to apply very liberally...
I think he means while tattooing, not afterwards. o_O

troub1edsou1z

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Tom
yeah i understood... I use aquaphor while tattooing. its much better then vasoline due to the fact it allows the skin to breathe better. I used to use hustle butter and loved it, but its a bit expensive.. I can't find it cheaper then $22US for a 12oz jar...

troub1edsou1z

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Tom
Personally i feel you get a faster and better heal then with vasoline. The biggest difference I noticed, and I don't know if its just improvement in technique and application, but I get a lot better saturation. I've always felt that vasoline, even in extremely limited use I had to wash out my tube more often because the stuff would just stick to the needles eventually building up to a point that I would get very patchy saturation. I do keep vasoline on hand, just for back up purposes, but haven't used it in about 5-6 yrs....