Health Inspection Info Required

Tattooz

Premium Gold
First Name
Dave
I am in the last stages of finishing my studio now, before giving the local health authority a ring to send out an inspector. Hopefully someone has witnessed the procedure first hand, so i am looking for advice regarding the visit.
I dont want to be tripped up at the last hurdle by something stupid.

I have read threads about disposing of contaminated material and needles, but my local hospital said no, to taking them there. I did read that Boots took them off you, or the junkies den, but don't want to go down that route. I will have to speak to Boots.

Do you get asked questions about first aid? And in fact do you have to be a first aider with a certificate?

I have installed a small stainless sink in my studio with hot and cold water, which should impress them a little bit, cos i can imagine that is usually a thing that they always have to recommend to people when inspecting back rooms etc.

Any help on what to expect would be great.

Just for good measure i am going to visit AJ for a bit of training and pointing in the right direction, just so i can say i have been taught by a pro, and in theory i am not bull shitting. :icon_lol:

Daz

Premium
First Name
Darren
Hi is this a studio at home?

We are going through it at the moment and our local health authority are pain in the arse.

separate taps to fill buckets / lever taps / spash backs by tattoo stations / we have a certifcate from an accredited awarding body and was excepted.

We also had a excellent solictor and put forward the case that the high street is dead and more and more shops are becoming vacant due to peoples attitude in the way they shop (online) he made the point that local health authorities / council planning that they should work with alternative businesess like tattoo artist to bring life back to high streets.

By the end of his speech i could have opended a brothel and they would have passed it lol they were eating out of his hand.

no council want empty shops - empty shops = no business rates.

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
They may insist on you having two sinks, one for general stuff like hand washing and another for your tips, ink, and stuff, and I know most people use disposable but it is just something they like to see, some areas are ok with laminate floors but some aren't, they want just say thats it no, they will give you some time to get things done, work with them and not against them and you will be OK.

Tattooz

Premium Gold
First Name
Dave
No mate its at home. I have converted the daughters ex-bedroom into "my special space", since she has now flown the nest.

Regarding the two sinks, i see that the one in the studio is for washing my bits and pieces, and the bathroom next door would be for hand washing etc. These are the types of things i need to find out.

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
No mate its at home. I have converted the daughters ex-bedroom into "my special space", since she has now flown the nest.

Regarding the two sinks, i see that the one in the studio is for washing my bits and pieces, and the bathroom next door would be for hand washing etc. These are the types of things i need to find out.

hi dude depending on your local authority but ill try my best to give a general overveiw as to what they look for ..........
the building 1st off must meet building regs.(fire certed and adequete lighting n all that type stuff...
they look for all washable surfaces in the studio & waiting area
they want to see washable floors ie vynal or lamiate (be aware not all lam/vynal is adequte
there has to be a sink in the work area to wash your hands with lever taps pritty much look at how other studios are setup but look at the details ie type of flooring,work surfaces that type off stuff (not saying completly copy what the other studios got but follow there lead as to how to set it up.
then they look into your procedures ie setup of equipment,the tattoo itself and the breakdown procedure, then they go through your customer after care they also go through what your procedure are for a "self poke" or what you do if you do "prick" yourself while working on someone else.
they may go through if you have a medi waste removal contract in place also
you will need to be 1st aid trained as well incase you do have someone take a turn for the worse on your premises to comply with heath an saftey at work laws
in general yes there is quite a bit to take in but as another member did say dont work againt them work with them ;)

ps as for a sink in another room i know it wont pass regs becuase you will be contaminating your hand as soon as you touch the door handle to open the door
everything needs to be in the 1 location to hand and anything you touch should be able to be made sterile of if not "sterile" then hyginicaly clean ;)

sorry for the long post but if you need me to go into more detail dont be shy ask away ;)

flashhighland

Premium
First Name
Steve
hi dude depending on your local authority but ill try my best to give a general overveiw as to what they look for ..........
the building 1st off must meet building regs.(fire certed and adequete lighting n all that type stuff...
they look for all washable surfaces in the studio & waiting area
they want to see washable floors ie vynal or lamiate (be aware not all lam/vynal is adequte
there has to be a sink in the work area to wash your hands with lever taps pritty much look at how other studios are setup but look at the details ie type of flooring,work surfaces that type off stuff (not saying completly copy what the other studios got but follow there lead as to how to set it up.
then they look into your procedures ie setup of equipment,the tattoo itself and the breakdown procedure, then they go through your customer after care they also go through what your procedure are for a "self poke" or what you do if you do "prick" yourself while working on someone else.
they may go through if you have a medi waste removal contract in place also
you will need to be 1st aid trained as well incase you do have someone take a turn for the worse on your premises to comply with heath an saftey at work laws
in general yes there is quite a bit to take in but as another member did say dont work againt them work with them ;)

ps as for a sink in another room i know it wont pass regs becuase you will be contaminating your hand as soon as you touch the door handle to open the door
everything needs to be in the 1 location to hand and anything you touch should be able to be made sterile of if not "sterile" then hyginicaly clean ;)

sorry for the long post but if you need me to go into more detail dont be shy ask away ;)

Brilliant post! I'm making notes!!

butchsbeetles

Premium
First Name
paul
very interesting thread.
what i,d like to know is how do you stand if you do it mobile,
im looking to maybe set up a stall / trade stand at sme custom car shows.
whats needed to do this (other than training and the equipment,)
as if your doing it from home or a studio you have a place of work to be inspected.
ive seen an increase in mobile tattooing over the last few years latest one i saw was a coach that was converted into a mobile studio.

Tattooz

Premium Gold
First Name
Dave
very interesting thread.
as if your doing it from home or a studio you have a place of work to be inspected.
ive seen an increase in mobile tattooing over the last few years latest one i saw was a coach that was converted into a mobile studio.
Heres one for you, although i wouldn't carry my dogs in there.
Must see this

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
very interesting thread.

it is a tricky 1 this from what i can make out of it if you plan to travel from county to county u will need to aquire a lisence from each county u plan to visit also theres the added factor of beeing say on a feild in a show doors open an all dust and stuff beeing blown in not so cool for some1 sat there with affectivly an big open wound :( also if you were to say go park outside a clients house quite likely some asbo group will see the van hear you working and find it funny to "rock" or "shake" the van just as you work on some fine detail :( :( :( just some of my worrys at the end there ;) in general i guess im saying be reeeeeeal careful with mobile tattooing ;)

butchsbeetles

Premium
First Name
paul
thanks guys for the reply, i do see your paint about open wounds etc but i have seen a few places doing this now ad just wonderd how they would get on

maggot

Premium
First Name
colin
The easiest thing to do is go to you local health authority and ask for a printed leaflet with the information mine sent me one along with the costs