December drawing contest now active! Here

Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Hello

Mikeg3023

Basic
First Name
Michael
Hello all,

My name is Michael and I'm new to the forum. I'm not a tattoo artist but I'm very interested in learning the trade. I do enjoy creating art in different mediums and have gotten a taste of selling my artwork. I'm a police officer and dont want to do it forever. I have a lot of questions about getting started in this venture and I know the answer is an apprenticeship. However, it's out of the question that I could work in a tattoo shop all day with no pay and raise my family. I dont have unrealistic expectations. I understand that its gonna take a lot of hard work and some sacrifice. There aren't many quality shops around here so I have to be strategic if I were to even get an apprenticeship period much less one that fits my needs. I need an idea of the steps to take to get the ball rolling in that direction. I may seem silly or super green but I honestly feel like this could be a passion. I've never held a machine or even know the ins and outs of the process of tattooing. I'm trying to birth this so to speak. Thank you.

Remove Ads Close

Ptapang

Basic
First Name
Pete
Hey mike,

I'm fairly new to tattooing. I too sell my regular art on the side and have a family, so apprenticeship won't really work for me right now. From what I can tell you so far, I think an apprenticeship would be ideal, but without it I feel I'm just going to have a lot more mistakes before I get any better. Personally, I don't even want to touch real skin, at least not until I can get some kind of mentor ship and have a mentor present when I first try. Right now I'm just enjoying tattooing synthetic skin. Just like any other medium, it's tough at first, but I think practice means everything. Below is an illustration i did and then my crappy tattoo work. Good luck!

Mikeg3023

Basic
First Name
Michael
Hi michael, get some basic gear to practice with, read,read,read and watch everything you can. If you want it bad enough you can make it happen.

Thank you. I was kind of just looking for that sort of affirmation. That it's possible even if not done traditionally.

Mikeg3023

Basic
First Name
Michael
Very cool work. I like the idea of, as the other person said, getting basic equipment, practicing, and studying. What kind of machine did you go with to practice with?

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
Hi and welcome Mike! David is absolutely right 🙂 Going premium on this forum (for a very low cost) will give you access to looots of information on this forum. That's a good start for reading.

For machine - I think you should read a little on that too, to sort the mess out 😊 If you ask David (and a bunch of others) he will say COIL, and if you ask me (and a bunch of others) I will say ROTARY 😊. There's no right and wrong really.

Mikeg3023

Basic
First Name
Michael
Hi and welcome Mike! David is absolutely right 🙂 Going premium on this forum (for a very low cost) will give you access to looots of information on this forum. That's a good start for reading.

For machine - I think you should read a little on that too, to sort the mess out 😊 If you ask David (and a bunch of others) he will say COIL, and if you ask me (and a bunch of others) I will say ROTARY 😊. There's no right and wrong really.

I guess by "kind" I should've been more specific. I was considering practicing with a coil machine. I'm researching brands and things of that nature in order to practice. Any quality machines out there that could be used for that and that I would actually be able to purchase?

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
I guess by "kind" I should've been more specific. I was considering practicing with a coil machine. I'm researching brands and things of that nature in order to practice. Any quality machines out there that could be used for that and that I would actually be able to purchase?
You'll get great help from the bunch here!

Niko2614

Basic
First Name
Alex
What's your price range?

Mikeg3023

Basic
First Name
Michael
What's your price range?

Well my question I guess would it be wise to just go ahead and get some quality equipment and start practicing? Or do I get something on the lower end of the spectrum and tinker that way for a while? I was thinking around $150.00 to $200.00 but I could be showing my ignorance about the cost of machines.

Ptapang

Basic
First Name
Pete
Well my question I guess would it be wise to just go ahead and get some quality equipment and start practicing? Or do I get something on the lower end of the spectrum and tinker that way for a while? I was thinking around $150.00 to $200.00 but I could be showing my ignorance about the cost of machines.

What i did was try to find reviews for machines, and then check some out on amazon and get something that's not too expensive. Just in case I ended up not liking tattooing. I plan to get some better equipment in a bit.

fylfot

Premium Plus
First Name
david
don't go too expensive, if you get a relatively cheap machine you won't be so worried about tinkering with it to learn how to adjust and fix it, where as if you spend a ton of money on a top machine you won't want to mess it up. That be said, don't go too cheap, as you'll never get it running right and you may get really frustrated with it. I tend to buy nice second hand machines and set them up how i like them. I got one from ebay the other day, ran, but had a big blue spark, swapped out the cap, shimmed it up and she's running sweet.

Vitki Veiruz

Premium
Media
First Name
Andrew
Welcome
I myself am new to tattooing at least with real equipment since I tattooed while incarcerated for years
This forum has helped me immensely and I finally took the leap to go premium and it exploded with amazing information
Especially the free guide that comes with the membership
Good luck on your adventure I wish you the best