Hello

Flying Monkey

Premium
First Name
Chris
Hello, I just found this forum through another and signed up. After very little reading I went ahead and upgraded to a Premium membership. I looked at it as if I learned 2 things it was well worth the $17.50 US. I have already read and downloaded well worth that and this is my first post.

I notice a large amount of the members are in the UK. I am in the US in Georgia. I have always been artistic (drawing, painting, Architecture, etc...) I taught myself to airbrush on lexan, in reverse from regular airbrushing. I learned all of the airbrushing from forums and videos. I love tattoo's and have always wanted to get into tattooing.

I was injured in Afghanistan so have A LOT of time on my hands as I heal from multiple surgeries, hence teaching myself to airbrush and now working on tattooing. I purchased a kit (yeah ive read all the bad about kits) from Pirate Face. I figured get a couple cheaper guns in my hands to learn how they work and feel. I ordered extra practice skins and transfer paper along with green soap to practice with.

I dont want to jump into tattooing people or even myself until I have learned all I can. Ive looking into apprenticeships and dont know if ill be able to get 1 around here. I also looking into a few of the "Schools". Im considering one of them.

I look forward to learning everything I can from this site. I love watching videos on how to do things new. So if anyone has any recommendations Id love to hear them. I seen alot of DVD's for sale in different threads but were somewhat older posts and all in UK so not sure if there would be interest in selling to me. I buy some airbrush paint from a guy in the UK so know its not too hard to ship stuff to me. Well Ill cut this off and go back to reading more threads.

Fozz

Premium
Media
First Name
Michael
Hey, and welcome to the forum..... I joined not so long ago and upgraded to premium, one of the best decisions I've made in ages. I've found loads of help and guidance here.....

There's nothing wrong with kits, as a starting point anyway. As it's cheaper, some of it may need replacing sooner that usual...... But at least you'll find the best guidance when upgrading your kit right here.....

Flying Monkey

Premium
First Name
Chris
Thank you. Yes I figured it would give me some cheaper machines to tear into and learn how they work. Ive been reading and fromt eh sounds of it, I can upgrade components of the machines and end up with some decent machines after. My focus right now will be practice skin, grapefruit and pig skin (if I can find it). I thing I did not order was something to transfer the designs to the service, I ordered the transfer paper but no solution to put on the skin. So guess Ill order some of that and practice on the skin in the kit that already has a design until that shows up.

Fozz

Premium
Media
First Name
Michael
Thank you. Yes I figured it would give me some cheaper machines to tear into and learn how they work. Ive been reading and fromt eh sounds of it, I can upgrade components of the machines and end up with some decent machines after. My focus right now will be practice skin, grapefruit and pig skin (if I can find it). I thing I did not order was something to transfer the designs to the service, I ordered the transfer paper but no solution to put on the skin. So guess Ill order some of that and practice on the skin in the kit that already has a design until that shows up.
Don't worry about that, just water will work..... Anything moist.....

Flying Monkey

Premium
First Name
Chris
Well got my kit in yesterday and very excited to get to messing with it. Took the machines out to inspect them and by far not "tuned" as all the contact screws were pointing away form the fronts springs but no big deal. I plastic screw was broken off that locks the contact screw from turning once set, Again not a big deal since it came with 4 extras, as long as I dont have any problems getting the broken part of the screw out. Other then that very happy with my purchase considering my expectations.

My kit also came with that 240 page "Basic fundamentals of tattoo" book and I started reading it yesterday. Got half way through it so far and I must say, it is a very good read especially for a beginner like myself. It is very informative and really makes it easier to understand the machines, as well as a little history on tattooing itself. After I get through this book Im moving to the manual/course I downloaded from here.

The ink the kit came with was called Geijutsu (which I cant find anywhere) so figure it to be really cheap ink but also figure will be fine for practice skin. Before moving to pig skin Ill get me some better ink. Id like to try intenze and eternal inks.

On a funny note, every time I dont have the book in my hands or messing with the kit smy wife is telling me to hurry up and get used to it so I can work on her lol. She has 6 now, And wants them touched up/reworked and some new ones.