Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Help with Lines...

TexasPT

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
I've gotten help over the last few months and I think it's important to pass along that knowledge so others can grow from it as well. Here is the lesson that did wonders for my line work even before I began working into the 1r.

Take this image and print it out about 4x4 or so...no bigger.

whip.jpg

Put a HEAVY grip on a SHARP pencil

Trace it...use only pushing and lateral movements. DO NOT DRAG the pencil. Think of where every line will begin and where it will end. Start at the bottom right and work left, as if you were tattooing. Think about the parts of your body you use to create a clean line. It's not just hands.

focus on making sure every line is there, every line is closed. Just go after the main lines.

I'd do 20 of these...at least

Then

Do the same thing...but this time on a pillow. SHARP pencil. This will teach you to keep your hand more relaxed as you line.

Then

Invert the picture...and start over. See the tattoo for what it is...just lines. Break it down into lines, not a panther.

Learning to relax your hand and let your arm work to create a smooth flow on the paper really makes a difference when you have your machine in hand.
This drill did wonders for my confidence and my lines.

Good luck

Mark

Last edited:

immikevalentine

Premium
First Name
mike
ill have to try it out for sure. the pillow idea seems like it would really help. ive been doing "wrist curls" with a 5lb weight lately im hoping thatll help as well.

boaz

here to help and learn
Premium
First Name
matt
when mark mentioned that its not just the hand that's responsible for your lines and its the whole arm hes telling you to ark your elbow out or start out and come in for smooth curves and please dont be shy to put up your efforts so everyone can benefit from your experience

jcroe

Premium
Media
First Name
Chris
Thanks for the hand cramps Mark !!!!!! No seriously, this is a great exercise. I especially like that you specified a heavy grip. I have gotten used to the 3/4 rubber grips on the disposables. The larger heavier grip forces me to use more of my wrist and arm in my lines which is much tighter. Thanks man.

AksysGamer

Welcome To The Carnival
Premium
First Name
Kyle
Old school tattoo artists used to do the same thing but with a machine and grip attached to a ballpoint pen. Nice advice sir.

pdanderson70

Premium
First Name
Paul
I've gotten help over the last few months and I think it's important to pass along that knowledge so others can grow from it as well. Here is the lesson that did wonders for my line work even before I began working into the 1r.

Take this image and print it out about 4x4 or so...no bigger.

View attachment 9009

Put a HEAVY grip on a SHARP pencil

Trace it...use only pushing and lateral movements. DO NOT DRAG the pencil. Think of where every line will begin and where it will end. Start at the bottom right and work left, as if you were tattooing. Think about the parts of your body you use to create a clean line. It's not just hands.

focus on making sure every line is there, every line is closed. Just go after the main lines.

Then

Do the same thing...but this time on a pillow. SHARP pencil. This will teach you to keep your hand more relaxed as you line.

Then

Invert the picture...and start over. See the tattoo for what it is...just lines. Break it down into lines, not a panther.

Learning to relax your hand and let your arm work to create a smooth flow on the paper really makes a difference when you have your machine in hand.
This drill did wonders for my confidence and my lines.

Good luck

Mark
Hi Mark
I am a beginner of beginners and haven’t touched skin except pig. But I watched this on a you tube Video. Except it was with a fountain pen. So I went and bought the one they said which was a Franklin Covey and attached a grip from a tube. They said the fountain pens ink will only come out at the exact angle. I printed off lots of old school daggers and roses and have been practicing on them. It shows up shakes and if you go over a line again. So I found this great. Cheers Paul