P Help

slim0806

Premium
First Name
Tony
hi my names Tony am new to this site
ok l have the opportunity to open my own tattoo studio, i have to registered with the council to obtain a licence, now the form asks you for qualifications, well in the 80s i was taught by friends, have no qualifications but can tattoo, but i dont think they will issue me with a licence without qualifications any ideas
thanks

MrSpoon

Premium
First Name
Darren
as far as im aware, there are no formal qualifications that you would require for tattooing (as far as tattooing skills go) but i think you need to do a health course on blood-borne pathegens

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg342.pdf
that might help out

Starbuck42

Premium
Media
First Name
Kevin
There is no formal qualification. The licence is a health registration for the premises, not for you personally. That is why you can go to a registered studio and tattoo other people, sort of what AJ (oldman)does for wannabee tattooists.

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
I have contacted my local council 'Somerset' and they aren't really bothered whether you are a good tattoo artist. They just want to make sure that all the correct proceedures are followed regarding health & safety especially sterilzation, and that all equipment is compliant EG: sink with hot and cold water with levers which can be operated with your elbow or automatic taps. Fortunately I attended a course in Dec which included all the necessary proceedures for tattoing and was given a certificate at the end which details all the proceedures you complete. They were quite impressed with this because they weren't aware that there were courses available. One point they particulary liked was when I told them I would probably use only disposable tips, tubes etc so no need for an autoclave.
Hope this is helpfull to you.

Patrick:)

Xaphaniel

Premium
First Name
Robb
I enquired about setting up in the local area and one of the big thing was the auto clave they were adamant on that even though i had said that it would be disposable single use equipment being used still said it was a requirement.

mind you have found in the past that were the council are concerned its someone behind a desk who has a list and cant deviate from it and have trouble thinking for them selves
really glad to hear though you had better luck with that nice one hope all goes well

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
Hi Robb

It seems that the requirements vary depending on where and who your council is, it seems really daft that they still require you to have an autoclave if you use only disposables. They do seem to be over the top towards tattoists.
Next time you go the dentist see if they follow the proceedures to prevent cross contamination. My dentist believe it or not treated myself, my wife and two sons and didn't change his gloves. He also touched the light several times and closed the surgery door with the same gloves which were just inside my mouth. I reckon it's safer to have a tattoo than a dental check up.:cry:

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
Hey, thats it, a new website learn-dentistry.co.uk :clap:

I would say that an autoclave is a must, and for what a cheap one costs, is it worth the argument.

One thing i would like to add to what has already been said is that if you have any previous, for being caught tattooing in your house with no registration, you are going to find it hard to get a licence.