hi all new and not new,all advice welcome

Ronan73

Premium
First Name
Ronan
I'm a very young looking 47 and only started tattooing this year. Not bragging..Age and looks is relevent...but yeah thats me in that avatar..youre welcome.lol...just being silly.
I've been a part time artist for 30 yrs and went to get into tattooing 20 yrs ago but got offered a good engineering job. After second bout of cancer 2 yrs ago and having spent the whole of last year in hospital and after several touch and go moments i thought sod it..follow your heart. I've had to take medical retirement but I dont want to retire at such a young age even if i wont live to see my real retirement age.

So during my last tattoo I got chatting to the guy (wont name him here), I pulled out my portfolio and started quizzing him. Luckily he was super super friendly. He said I was very talented but then I told him my age and suddenly he didn't have room for another apprentice. He was very nice but obvious I was too old. maybe I should have lied. Later he did sell me some of his equipment and personal books at a knock down price and told me to just start tattooing because thats what he did and now hes very successful. Like I say , he was very very nice. Due to cancer I am super anal when it comes to cleanliness and even have to do my own IVs at home (CF) when necessary so infection control and cross contamination is something I know a lot about. I also did infection control a few yrs ago and plan on doing it again to get it in date.

I joined this amazing site to carry on my education. Even though I cant seem to get a tattoo apprenticeship I do know how to learn. And I having read many many horror stories related to apprenticeships or slave labour I dont think ive missed too much. After loads of fake skin tattoos with good quality machines,a few tattoos on myself and others, less than 5. but loads of books, dvds, 100s of hours drawing, youtube and now this site will get me to where i want to be.

Im an artist first and an engineer second (after 5 yrs at college) . I believe art taught me how to tattoo, engineering taught me how to use all the machinery quite easily and with respect to get the best out of them.

Im here to carry on learning as Im at the very beginning of this journey. ahead of some, behind others.

Attached is a set up I put together from equipment I bought from tattooist and killerink, case from amazon and a cheap pen style to see how they work. Any good? ( shagbuilt, 2 x stigma, paulo cruzes all legit)
The transfer difference in 2 months practice. Any good? Any advice?
The first fake skin I ever tattooed, as in attempt at proper picture. Any good? I know there are plenty of faults but any pointers?
I will post the other transfer once ive tattooed it for critique. See how far I have come after about 3 months or so...or maybe not.lol.

All advice welcome. critics welcome too..learning is learning...A big thanks in advance and HELLOOO. smiley face.

Attachments

Last edited:

schwartzy

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Rachel
I started my apprenticeship at 49 and decided that if anyone asked I was going to say that I was in my 30s as I was also worried about seeming too old, and look young for my age so could get away with it. The guy that I got the apprenticeship with didn't ask my age at the interview, so I didn't mention it. I was a couple of months into the apprenticeship before I slipped up and mentioned something in passing about going out drinking in the 1980s and he realised how old I was! By then I was already doing the apprenticeship and we got on fine so it was ok.

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
I was actually recruited into my apprenticeship in Las Vegas. I was 36. I followed an artist at shop one to shop two and began to apprentice under several artists. One was pretty against me "starting so late". He eventually came around and we became good friends.

I was once told, & then witnessed, the difference between a self taught and apprenticed artist is sanitation. With your hyper awareness you probably will be fine there.

I like your set up.

If we were in the same town I'd let you ink me. That is a quality practice piece.

Ronan73

Premium
First Name
Ronan
I was actually recruited into my apprenticeship in Las Vegas. I was 36. I followed an artist at shop one to shop two and began to apprentice under several artists. One was pretty against me "starting so late". He eventually came around and we became good friends.

I was once told, & then witnessed, the difference between a self taught and apprenticed artist is sanitation. With your hyper awareness you probably will be fine there.

I like your set up.

If we were in the same town I'd let you ink me. That is a quality practice piece.

You're proof that persistence truly works. Im jealous of you but pleased too.
Its nice to have nice words said because not everyone on here sees the same way sadly. But my friend you are on a good path.

I have all the equipment including tables and chairs etc and enough equipment for a very busy month, Like 50 to 100 of each of the needles i need , 100s of disposable tubes and grips and Industrial cleaning equipment. All i need is premises and an inspection and I can start. I have a long queue of people to tattoo too. Im getting so impatient looking for a place. lol. That practice piece was the second i did ever. Nt great but good for practice. Its really not like real people skin though.lol.

I know an award winning tattoo artist who has guided me but didnt have a place for an apprentice in his shop at the time..he looked over my art work and told me just to start tattooing.lol.

The world has changed after covid and times are tougher all round so im glad you are sorted.