LadyBird

Premium Plus
2 Sep 2020
Scotland
First Name
Rach
Hi to all you like minded tattoo enthusiasts :giggle:

I kind of stumbled upon this site by accident one night while looking for advice and found myself coming back again and again so thought why not join.

It is really refreshing to see people being able to talk openly about being an amateur and wanting to learn and being taken seriously and given good sound advice instead of humiliated or patronised!

So, I am a 29 yr old woman living in the UK. I have wanted to be a tattoo artist as long as I can remember (prob from around age 14 when I first discovered the whole tattoo world was a thing) art is all I have ever been good at. It’s always been my ‘thing’ and my teenage years as a ‘scene kid/emo’ opened me up to rock music and cool tattooed people ?
I went to art college for a while and over the years had a few interviews for apprenticeships at studios but unfortunately having to pay bills always got in the way of the dream.
Then I got I’ll a few years ago and was unable to do a conventional job which forced me to focus on my artwork and realise I need to do what I love. Fast forward to now, later than I would like and trying to finally do it. The problem is now that no studio wants to give me a chance when I am honest about my health issues. (Long story but I have been offered apprenticeships and asked when I can start, then been ghosted when I’ve told them) so I think now it’s time to go down the self taught route. I just never wanted to be a ‘scratcher‘ or give anyone the excuse to tell me I shouldn’t be tattooing. I’ve always wanted to do it ’the right way’. I have been really inspired and reassured by seeing all your home studios on here. It has really given me hope that it’s not too late.
I have only ever done 2 tattoos, on my best friend. She is very supportive and she basically had to beg me to even use her as a canvas because I don’t want to mess anyone up. She loves them though which is the main thing. It’s given me the itch now to want to do more.
Im sure you will all know what it’s like, everyone and their dog want a tattoo from you when they hear you’ve been tattooing but I want to know I’m not messing anyone up first haha.

Anyway, sorry about the massive first post. I can’t wait to get to know everyone. ?

Tommy.86

Premium Plus
2 Aug 2020
Media
UK
First Name
Tom
No problem with massive posts ☺️ I’m in a similar boat to you, bit older at 33 but very much novice with artistic talent. I say go for it! Self belief, dedication, and relentless attention to detail, added to natural talent will mean your future is in your own hands! I’m on the brink of getting licensed in UK having only tattooed fruit, reelskin, and myself, but I’m excited, very nervous but more excited about tattooing my first clients. All power and best luck to ya ?

LadyBird

Premium Plus
2 Sep 2020
Scotland
First Name
Rach
Hello Rach, and welcome to forum! ??? Do you have any photos of those first two? ?
oh dear! I’m nervous to show them because I know they are so amateur but I guess that’s the only way to get better! Go easy on me haha.
I fully realise how scratchy the lines are etc. I definitely learned a lot with each one though. Also they were done using an old coil machine I bought when I was 15 off eBay from China ???‍♀️ I tuned it up and did everything completely safe and sanitary with better ink and needles etc but I definitely will not be bringing that thing out again, it’s for the bin. I am looking into buying a rotary cartridge style pen but unsure of which one to go for if anyone has any suggestions?

Remove Ads

Attachments

• E2440CF2-5DCF-418B-B62E-1CE70A7EE4B5.jpeg
    E2440CF2-5DCF-418B-B62E-1CE70A7EE4B5.jpeg
    97 KB · Views: 22
  • 0F2BBAE5-B3A6-45E1-B256-2820B12F3CFA.jpeg
    0F2BBAE5-B3A6-45E1-B256-2820B12F3CFA.jpeg
    89.5 KB · Views: 21

LadyBird

Premium Plus
2 Sep 2020
Scotland
First Name
Rach
No problem with massive posts ☺ I’m in a similar boat to you, bit older at 33 but very much novice with artistic talent. I say go for it! Self belief, dedication, and relentless attention to detail, added to natural talent will mean your future is in your own hands! I’m on the brink of getting licensed in UK having only tattooed fruit, reelskin, and myself, but I’m excited, very nervous but more excited about tattooing my first clients. All power and best luck to ya ?
That’s really exciting Tommy! How Has your journey with getting licensed been? Is it a home studio you have?

Tommy.86

Premium Plus
2 Aug 2020
Media
UK
First Name
Tom
That’s really exciting Tommy! How Has your journey with getting licensed been? Is it a home studio you have?
No I’m renting a little space for £50 a week, I just contacted my local council to ask exactly what I need t to do, and made sure it met the bylaws. I’m hearing I may struggle to get treatment insurance as I have no experience, but as long as I can get public liability insurance I should be good to go. The artist currently working on my tattoos got into it exactly the same way, and said he never even had visits from anyone from 2 different councils. I’ve sent my applications and paid the fees so just waiting now. The studio is almost finished and I’ve got about 20 people lined up

Attachments

• B423F9BB-6F66-4B7A-8A31-04802FECCEC1.jpeg
    B423F9BB-6F66-4B7A-8A31-04802FECCEC1.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 10
  • 94D97CA4-047D-46CF-9181-0822D4AD2EFC.jpeg
    94D97CA4-047D-46CF-9181-0822D4AD2EFC.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 8

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
17 Dec 2014
Media
Stockholm
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Yeah lines are scratchy but I've seen far worse! And scratchy is not always bad, if you do it intentional, but don't tell anyone I said so ?

Good first two efforts!

Machine - I'm not the right person to give any tips about that unfortunately. Lots of others on here are, though ???

LadyBird

Premium Plus
2 Sep 2020
Scotland
First Name
Rach
No I’m renting a little space for £50 a week, I just contacted my local council to ask exactly what I need t to do, and made sure it met the bylaws. I’m hearing I may struggle to get treatment insurance as I have no experience, but as long as I can get public liability insurance I should be good to go. The artist currently working on my tattoos got into it exactly the same way, and said he never even had visits from anyone from 2 different councils. I’ve sent my applications and paid the fees so just waiting now. The studio is almost finished and I’ve got about 20 people lined up
looks like a good little space :) wish you all the best with it.
its amazing how many people still cant wait to be tattooed even when you are nervously telling them you don't really know what you're doing ?
Well done for doing it all properly. I can’t believe no one even visited to do an inspection kind of thing...I wonder if that happens alot. ?

Dazza

Premium Gold
25 Jul 2016
Media
Perth
First Name
Daryl
Hi Rach and welcome to the forum , the candle tattoo looks really nice for your first few , what sort of budget do you have for a new machine ?

LadyBird

Premium Plus
2 Sep 2020
Scotland
First Name
Rach
Hi Rach and welcome to the forum , the candle tattoo looks really nice for your first few , what sort of budget do you have for a new machine ?
Thanks Darren :) I was quite happy with the smoke dots haha. That was the second one so I was a little bit more confident than the first one.
With machine budget im really not sure, it varies so much. I had been looking into EZ or the Hawink CNC pens but then I don’t want to go too cheap and it ends up being rubbish and I have to fork out for something better anyway but at the same time don’t want to go full Cheyenne Hawk when I’m just learning ? The more I look the more I find and reviews are hard to come by, unless people are sponsored and then you never know if they are honest or not. Any advice/ reviews oils be more than welcome :)

TexasPT

Premium Gold
9 Dec 2011
Media
Texas
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
Hawink CNC is great stuff. I've actually got the short pen and also one with the maxxon motor. Prices on those keep going up (for good reason). I would recommend them 100%.

Ronan73

Premium
14 May 2020
Birmingham England
First Name
Ronan
Hawink CNC is great stuff. I've actually got the short pen and also one with the maxxon motor. Prices on those keep going up (for good reason). I would recommend them 100%.
[/QUOTE

Im looking for a pen style one too. I have a cheap £40 one I play with to see if it suited me and i like the feel. I looked up your cnc and it seems cheap at £150 ish.. is that the price range or a knock off?

Attachments

• s-l640.jpg
    s-l640.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 3

RandiBoo777

Premium
6 Sep 2020
Barrie
First Name
Randi
Hi ladybird. New here as well. I’ll be 29 this year and I am too just giving this a go. I wanted to be a tattoo artist since highschool. I was the artist punk kid like yourself haha. I later became a mom and had other responsibilities instead, so that dream kind of fell on the back burner. Your tattoos are GORGEOUS!! I’m not there yet lol, even though I’m a pretty good sketch artist haha. My lines are shaky af. Only been putting the needle to fake skin for about an hour though lol. Can’t wait to watch your progress (and mine as well) :)

NewlineTa2

Premium
25 Jan 2018
Media
Georgia
First Name
Joseph
Hey welcome to the forum. Our little slice of heaven if you will. Anyways I agree the cnc hawink q1 and q2 are great little pens lots of reviewers have done them recently. They both feature a German motor that's great.the q1 has a slightly larger stroke but a smaller grip as the q2 has smaller stroke and faster grip more a shader special. Strokes are q1=3.5mm/q2=3.2mm. Also I have found that most of the grips that are on the uber cheap knockoffs from dragoart will interchange with the cnc if the grip is that big of a issue for you. I prefer the q1 solely because I like the extra .3mm for lining and then I can choke up on it to shade with but you will have and find your own preferences that is best for you. One important thing to remember is that you can learn a ton here but you still after it's all said and done have to learn what WORKS for YOU. best of luck to you from America. ;)

soulskript

Premium
10 Jun 2020
swe
First Name
Sebastian
Welcome Rach. Go follow your 14 year old self and own it when someone calls you a scratcher, you'll show them all n make em sorry for ghosting you ?.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.