Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Hi from the UK

Thread starter #1

Darkskythe

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Kev
Hi there,
Am from the UK and basically registered for my wife. We are both in our mid-40's, have a number of tattoos and, long story short, my wife is wanting to learn to tattoo. Not to open a studio and make a living out of it, or even tattoo people (well, i MAY let her tattoo me, IF she gains the skill, knowledge, confidence and feels 100% comfortable doing it, just to blackout my upper right arm, something i have wanted done for several years) from the house but just to learn how to do it (mainly tribal work as that is what she enjoys to draw more than anything else).
She worked as a phlebotomist so has knowledge and experience on the hygiene side of things, i think she completed some pathogen course when she started work at a blood lab. You will have to excuse my ignorance, she is the one who has asked me to register on here as she does not use forums or anything, so i am kinda like a middle-man here.
Anyway, she is always watching time-lapse videos of people getting tattoo's on youtube and has had an interest in it for as long as i have known her. Ask her what is on her bucket list and learning how to tattoo is right at the top.
At the moment i have some work in progress - a number of pieces on my left arm, currently the bottom half of my left arm is almost covered-up with space/Star Wars theming and will be looking to get some more work done on that towards the end of the year.
On my right arm i have this random incomplete half-sleeve, as well as some random pieces on my lower right arm (2 of which i will be having removed once funds permit and want the upper arm blacked out, think i mentioned that earlier). I will take and post some pictures on here, before and after cover up work on the left arm, and to better show what i mean with the work on my right arm. Most of the work is from years ago, when i was young (yes, and dumber, lol).
My wife also has a few tattoos and what i think has tipped it for her to start to learn is, her dad passed just over a year ago so she recently had his signature tattoo'd on her inner forearm. On the way home after she had it done she decided it's the time for her to start to learn.
As i have said, she only uses the internet to watch youtube and check the news/weather so i done a quick search and was surprised at the hostility towards people wanting to learn how to tattoo, then came across this forum which seems a lot more friendly and approachable for the more sensible 'learn at home tattooists' who do not have the means or time to complete apprenticeships so she asked me to sign up to gain some knowledge and hopefully get some pointers on recommended reading or dvd's worth investing in for her to get more of an understanding on how it all works as she is keen to learn. I have agreed to buy her a kit and a ton of fake skin to get practicing on when she says she feels ready to give it a go after some further reading/viewing.
Hope this was not too long-winded and is easy to understand.

Dazza

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Daryl
Hi mate you’ve come to the right place ,get her some decent gear as learning with cheap stuff will just make it harder and get some good fake skin as the cheap fake is rubbish ,good skin from Reelskin.com

dirtnail

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Pieter
Welcome middleman Kev! :giggle:
I agree with @Dazza... don't get her the cheap cheap stuff. You can ask anyone on this forum and I bet most will tell you decent gear will definitely make a lot of difference.

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Hi Kev and wifey! You've come to the right place (y)

When you want practice skin give me a shout, I'm a reseller for Reelskin and will give you a good price. My site: Home(y)

Thread starter #6

Darkskythe

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Kev
Wow, thank you for all the replies. I have a couple of days off work so will probably order a kit for her shortly. When she gets home from work we will upgrade to premium to read recommendations on what kit to purchase, actually i will upgrade once i finish writing this and have a quick browse through later on today. Such a minefield of information on here, i must admit, I am getting more curious the more I am reading with her. I am not artistic enough (she is the one who can draw) to be trying to tattoo. I really hope she takes to it.
@MalligaMallan thank you, will be in touch to get some reelskin towards end of the month (pay day, lol)

dirtnail

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Pieter
@Darkskythe Personally I think you're better of just ordering decent quality stuff separately. Imho kits are usually crap quality... I have one of those China kits and the only thing worth using was the foot switch. The machines are nice to push a pencil in and draw to get used to the weight of a machine though :ROFLMAO:

BTW, if you want to learn but are "not artistic enough" start drawing! Being "artistic" is for a large part the result of hard work... just start small... who know's, you might find an inner artist you never knew existed :giggle:

Daisy

Donator  
Premium
First Name
Kiaran
Hello - I too done the cheap kit thing (I use rotartys) - chinese inks+ everything under the sun - I then upgraded every so slighly to a wee bit better machine of amazon (like £35/£45) and I have only recenly ordered and got a proper machine.

A cheapy is great for letting you feel how it works - so if you can afford to - a crappy machine will let you muck about/ tattoo some fruit and do a wee bit of learning.

I have only been learning a few months - but my tips would be

1. Draw everyday - I am learning and even if its something rubbish I draw something everyday
2. Decent ink
3. Decent needles
4 . Crap machine only for seeing if you like this in any way shape or form - don't get sucked into big kit of stuff - 98% of it you will not use/is useless/you'll bin/will make you mad. A good machine doesnot in any way shape or form make you good or better - but if you like the feel of a cheapy/ want to continue - it worths saving up for

Thread starter #10

Darkskythe

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Kev
Thank you all again, have ditched the idea of getting a kit. Will be looking for more a 'budget' setup rather than cheap, if that makes sense. Would rather spend a little extra and buy something that will do the job on both fake and human skin than buy a cheap practice machine and then have to buy another machine when it comes to tattooing human skin (well, my skin lol). That way, if she find she cannot get to grips with it, it can be sold on to someone who would find some use out of it.

Dazza

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Daryl
I would suggest a rotary machine as they generally line and colour pack and are easy to set up ,deping if you use cartridges or traditional needles ,some rotarys take both

Thread starter #12

Darkskythe

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Kev
It's funny you should say that. A lot (as in 99%) of tattooist's say to get a coil machine and learn everything about it inside and out before moving to a rotary. My wife (the one I am basically on here for) has said she would prefer a rotary to start off with as she has looked at coil machines and feels intimidated by them at the moment. It is only tribal work and some traditional she is interested in doing as well so maybe a more viable option for her.

I would suggest a rotary machine as they generally line and colour pack and are easy to set up ,deping if you use cartridges or traditional needles ,some rotarys take both

Dazza

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Daryl
I know everyone says start with coils ,but a lot of us on here started with rotaries and a few have now moved to coils , I think once you get more accustom with tattooing you tend to want to try different machines to see if that’s easier than that if you know what I mean ,I going to add a machine that I and Dazza both own it’s a good starting machine ,it’s a copy of a neotat machine and takes both kinds of needles ,it’s good value ,if you look on this site you can buy just the machine for about £45 it’s called the Extreme rotary

Attachments

Thread starter #15

Darkskythe

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Kev
Wow, that looks a bit smaller than a coil machine, less intimidating as well lol. You can use tubes/needles as well as cartridges on this ? Will it accept any cartridges or only Dragonhawk ?
Thanks for the website, will show that to her when she gets home from work.

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Agree with @Dazza, a rotary.

I don't know anything about the Extreme rotary, but I trust Daryls advice. To avoid getting completely lost in the jungle it can be a good choice to start from there. And like Daryl says - your wife might be curious on other machines later on.

Last edited:

Dazza

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Daryl
Hi Kev it will take any cartridges as they are all the same,the one in the picture comes with a cartridge grip ,but if you wanted to use traditional needles you can get them all in one as in needle ,grip and tube comes in a blister pack fully disposable,I will post some pics

Thread starter #19

Darkskythe

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Kev
That is awesome, thank you so much for the pictures and advice. Have been showing this to my wife and she is sold. One more question (i'm sorry!), there is an Extreme and an Extreme v2 which looks like the needle flow can be adjusted. Which would be the better one to get please ? I was thinking the v2 due to the needle adjustments that can be made, which i imagine could help with preventing the needle going in too deep and carving up the fake skin, or is it a double edged sword where the needle could also not go in deep enough to get the ink to stay?

Dazza

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Daryl
That v2 machine has an adjustable stroke length that’s all ,it doesn’t effect the depth of the needle in the skin ,that is adjusted by the tube vice screw ,you don’t really want to play to much with the stroke length for now as it’s still early days,most machines come with a 3.5 stroke and that’s good for most aspects of tattooing ,google stroke lengths to help you understand better save me trying to explain ,but in a nut shell it means the length of time the needle is in the skin ,also as I don’t have any experience with that machine I don’t know how good it is

Parrington21

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Ben
Post some pics of what you buy. I’m with the others I bought a cheap kit off eBay and the only thing I have left is the funky box and a clip cord. Everything else is in the bin.