Hi NEED some help with color

First Name
Gabriel
Hi i just started tattooing for the last 4 months well 2 months researching and two months on pig skin and now I've started on myself. I've successfully lined shaded and colored with no problems but its come out lot more flat then i want. I'm really into hyper realism and charachter but have a few question when it comes to getting it to the next level.

1.As long as you let the tattoo heal fully you can go into a tattoo as many times as needed or is there a limit at some point? like say you did the same tattoo every 4 months on the same spot would that be okay as long as it fully healed before you go in or no?
2.when it comes to texturing something as long as you go in with a darker pigment over a lighter pigment i could achieve some texture or would the color underneath mix and ruin the color?
3. when it comes to highlights is it best to leave an ink skin for the highlight to go in the best or is it better to go over ink skin for a highlight?
4. is it still possible to shade after you color fill a section or better to shade and color fill after all the shading done?

Questions 2,3,4 are kinda dependent on the first question but would like any advice i could get.

Remove Ads

troub1edsou1z

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Tom
1. I don't think I would go back into a tattoo that many times in that short of a time frame. I'd be worried to start causing scar tissue.
2. I would say to an extent you can do this. (Never tried this approach)
3. It's best to leave a skin break for your highlights so your white, or highlight color isn't mixing with the other color(s)
4. You could shade over color however I would suggest a layering technique or waiting for the fill to heal then go over it so you are causing to much trauma, only problem i see with this is smooth blends

First Name
Gabriel
Hi kinda an update, i still am attempting to go over the same tattoo multiply times over the course of a few months but took a bit of the advice and waited an extra 2 months so had 3 months healing for the spot, seemed to work.(makes sense cause its the min time the alot of place's online say to heal before a touch up) Basically you where right for 3 and 4. Any spot that i want to add a highlight that has ink and no skin break i have to go over really careful not to cause scare tissue and mixs a little bit like you said, so have to mix my colors very carefully and also keep track of exactly how many drops used.

Besides the small update i just had a question on all the different ways you might know to blend color on i guess at this point be a "cover up" like any ways that would be able to use the old ink and not have to go the route i'm taking.

At the same time I'm going to continue trying to do this process from what i'I've tried to find online it seems doing the same tattoo and expanding on it every 3 months for a year hasn't been done at least not posted anywhere i can find so i can't see how it could really hurt. Let me know anything thoughts and if you can get back to me about the blending I'd be forever in debt, thanks for the first bit of advice to.

JP

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
James
I read somewhere a long time ago, that your skin takes 6 months to fully heal after a tattoo. The dermis will heal over in a couple of weeks but to fully heal takes longer, the skin will be sensitive and fragile (more pain and higher likelihood of scarring)

For blending colours, the way i do it is to fade out the daker tone and then fade in the lighter tone.

Shading over colour could get messy, although if it';s fully healed i don't see there being to much of an issue...preparation is always your best option. What i mean by that is, map out your design long before you tattoo it, you should know where all your shading needs to go before. Always work dark to light i.e. lines, then shading, then colour, then highlights

troub1edsou1z

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Tom
really the best way to blend colors is to know what colors to use to break down the main color. Use a rose for example....the main color is red. so now you need to find out what colors to use with red to get your deep tone and your light tones. Depending on which way you plan to take the rose is going to determine the colors you'll use. For instance, if you want the rose to have more of a pinkish highlight, you will obviously use lighter reds and pinks to blend it down and will use purples/deep reds as your shadow/dark tones. If you want the rose to have more of a natural red feel, you would use browns/deep reds for darker tone and break that down with your reds.

First Name
Gabriel
really the best way to blend colors is to know what colors to use to break down the main color. Use a rose for example....the main color is red. so now you need to find out what colors to use with red to get your deep tone and your light tones. Depending on which way you plan to take the rose is going to determine the colors you'll use. For instance, if you want the rose to have more of a pinkish highlight, you will obviously use lighter reds and pinks to blend it down and will use purples/deep reds as your shadow/dark tones. If you want the rose to have more of a natural red feel, you would use browns/deep reds for darker tone and break that down with your reds.
Thanks, I've been doing that that for the most part been a little afraid to use to light of colors though mainly because i have darker skin thus from some reading I've done alot advice against bright colors because the pigment will fight against the ink. Might this be true or might it be possible to put something as bright and bold as say a snowy realistic mt everest just as an example?

First Name
Gabriel
I read somewhere a long time ago, that your skin takes 6 months to fully heal after a tattoo. The dermis will heal over in a couple of weeks but to fully heal takes longer, the skin will be sensitive and fragile (more pain and higher likelihood of scarring)

For blending colours, the way i do it is to fade out the daker tone and then fade in the lighter tone.

Shading over colour could get messy, although if it';s fully healed i don't see there being to much of an issue...preparation is always your best option. What i mean by that is, map out your design long before you tattoo it, you should know where all your shading needs to go before. Always work dark to light i.e. lines, then shading, then colour, then highlights
Thanks, I've planned it put at the beginning but kinda have morphed the design after tattoo myself and learning more the process partly why I'm asking these questions. I did the whole art school thing for years so i understand how light hits certain objects just wasn't sure how ink in skin quite works and its pretty similar to alot of other mediums (Also is very very different more on the approche of it)

I've also notice that the skin is very fragile when you go in to soon the close's sessions ive done on one tattoo was 3 weeks apart and the skin was very fragile so had to be very careful and it hurt 3 times as much as a regular one so ive learned to wait...

Thanks for the advice to on the 6 months that does look familiar to something I've seen before , ill leave one for that time and see if i can go in on the shading a lot more darker is some sections and be able to lighten up others (if possable)

troub1edsou1z

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Tom
Thanks, I've been doing that that for the most part been a little afraid to use to light of colors though mainly because i have darker skin thus from some reading I've done alot advice against bright colors because the pigment will fight against the ink. Might this be true or might it be possible to put something as bright and bold as say a snowy realistic mt everest just as an example?
i'm not entirely sure what you mean by the pigment will fight against the ink. I think u are reffering to "skin" pigment? In a sense yes, your skin tone will play a factor in your color choices but unless you are very dark complextion it's only going to really be nocticable if the light color is used on it's own without the help of darker supporting colors around it.....For example say you tattoo a yellow circle on your arm, just the yellow circle (or any lighter color) by itself it's going to look dull and lifeless, but if you have darker contrasting/supporting colors around it, it can look very bright and vivid....

First Name
Gabriel
Okay i get it thanks! And thanks again for all the tips these has been the only place to get good advice been to a few other sites and normally get a response of hate for guess being a 'scratcher' which is really amazing to me how hated it really is for it, like i understand why one would and the benefits it would provide but even trying to do it as a hobby and not for financial gain is look down on. It almost feels like a lot of other tattoo sites try to make it a closed club with no room for independent learning.