How to tattoo with a rotary pen

Adalheidurbj

Basic
First Name
Aðalheiður
https://www.instagram.com/adalheidurbjtattoo/
Hey guys

So since my first failed tries with a very cheap rotary pen (still skeptic wether it was truly just tecnique problems on my end, rather than the machine itself)... i decided to spend a little more money and go for a dragonhawk mast pen.

Any good beginer tips for "how to tattoo with a rotary pen"?

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
send me your cheap rotary pen and let me see what I can do with it. :)

but for pens...

SSSSSSSTTTTTTTTRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I was so frustrated with a pen at first because You REALLY have to stretch...I mean lots, to sink a good line. Imagine every line is that fatty inside of the arms stuff and you'll be fine. Just takes getting used to.

Adalheidurbj

Basic
First Name
Aðalheiður
https://www.instagram.com/adalheidurbjtattoo/
send me your cheap rotary pen and let me see what I can do with it. :)

but for pens...

SSSSSSSTTTTTTTTRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTCCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I was so frustrated with a pen at first because You REALLY have to stretch...I mean lots, to sink a good line. Imagine every line is that fatty inside of the arms stuff and you'll be fine. Just takes getting used to.
Haha great! if the shipping cost wernt so crazy i would definately take you up on that!

What about the voltage to hand speed ratio? I dont even know how you can teach that on here.. i just think about cm and seconds... 😂 and im talking about for lining specifically

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
You'll have to play with it...but I can tell you that I line around 9v with my cnc pen. I was running it to slow and once I adjusted it got easier. If your line is too fat and in danger of blowing out...speed up. Or do one line faster than normal and see how it lays in. You can always go back over it.

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
Hey guys

So since my first failed tries with a very cheap rotary pen (still skeptic wether it was truly just tecnique problems on my end, rather than the machine itself)... i decided to spend a little more money and go for a dragonhawk mast pen.

Any good beginer tips for "how to tattoo with a rotary pen"?
I only know rotary (neotat vivace here) and like TexasPT said, stretching is definitly the way to go.
Right now i'm trying to use less and less vaseline (dry skin is easier to stretch) and also trying to figure out how to use paper towel which adhere more to the skin than gloves (again better stretch).

Technique is 90% of tattoing, i'd say a bad machine would be the one which stops randomly, or with random volts, or with a needle badly guided, a faulty machine...

Peace and have fun!

DKJ