How Would YOU Do It???????

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Simple Question: How would you execute this tattoo if presented to you????

169091_138054016253922_100001479741881_250597_23541_n.jpg

I believe if it were ME....I would have 2 liners set up. Becuase this is old school tattooing, were talking some bold lines. Looks to me like a 9rl, and 11rl. If you look at the rope and banner the outline is quite thick. I zoomed in on the entire lantern and the outline is Flawless to say the least. The only other outline done would be the flame. Now, After the completed outline, I would move on to my color washes, lightest to darkest. The lantern and hook are the main focus of the washes and I would want a very smooth gradient. I would likely use a 7 flat mag or 9 curved Mag for doing this. I dont think the gray wash on this a huge challenge but getting it smooth might be, good reference photos a must. After finishing the gray wash I would move on to the rope color, its the next darkest color in this tattoo. Possibly a 9 or 11 round shader and brown and orange ink in the pots. I would also hit the banner as its the same color as the rope on the tips. OK..........now weve got the red and orange left over. Red is the darker color here but I wouldnt start with it. I would start with the Orange. Why? becuase Im not concerned about contaminating either color. I would likely use that same 11 round shader to pack in the color and probaby a 9 curved mag to make the gradient fade. I need to simply fade them into each other. I can always go darker but I cant go lighter, so Ill fade some red into the orange. Just as a "by the way" I would have outlined the flame when done with the rope and banner and outlined it in red with a touch of brown. To me it would be easy to cover the orange areas and touch the red where need be. The old saying light to dark with Gray wash, and Dark to light with color. That need to be understood.,..Start with your darkest colors, I started with brown if you remeber in the rope and banner. That was my dark. It could be said that Orange and Red are pretty much the same "HUE" just a different color so cross contaminating colors wouldnt be a issue here.

IF there were yellow in this lantern......Personally, I would have probably put it in first and right after the gray wash. I think it would be so much easier to fade some orange and red into the yellow then vice versa....Opinions????

So how would you do it? similar???? Completely different?????

Remove Ads

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
i don't have the experience with all the different sizes yet so i wont be able to give the most accurate technicals such as you did. i can only comment on the design itself & touch on the order of things from my limited experience. i can see why & where you would want 2 liners though. myself only having 2 machines i would probably choose a 7rdl & do twice the work. i would probably go w/a round mag only because most of what i see done by the artists at my shop are done with round mags & they do really impressive work.

over all its a nice piece, personally i would add more contrast in the flame portions by adding yellow & even adding a darker shade of red/brown. the reflection on the lantern from the flame doesn't look right to me particularly the handle... maybe because its a hard edge, & flame light would create a soft glow over the black handle. i guess one would have to consider how it fits with the rest of the clients work as well. & like you mentioned... using good photo reference.

as far as progression, after the outlining I would shade the lantern itself. after that i would move to the colored bits. i like your suggestion of using the mid tone & working from there. i come from an airbrush background & 90% of the time work light to dark & doing the opposite is sometimes painful for my brain. i would have added a darker value/brown for the rope as well... the rest of the piece is more shaded & not 2 tone... same with the back of the banner. i guess a lot of that is personal preference... i like high contrast & slap u in the face boldness in pieces like this. i probably would have shaded the grey areas a little darker & then used white to punch out highlights.

disclaimer - i am still early in my studies & 6 months from now i reserve the right to completley change my mind :icon_razz:

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
5rl and a 9rl for me. I would probably line it all in a 5 and make a pass over it with the 9 where it needed to be thicker. You could almost hit it with a 9rs to make the thicker lines, too.

Line everything and then go to work with the black. Machine would need to run a long stroke and quick hands to get the whip shading effect. This is something I'm working on. Depending on how big this is I'd think a 9mag would take care of pretty much everything.

As for the lantern...I'd start red in the center of where it goes and whip both left and right. I'd start the orange from the edges and whip into the red's lighter area. Should get a good blend like that.

Then I would sit down to do the tattoo and second guess my game plan, change a few things around, and hopefully not finish it wishing I had stuck with the original plan. :)

I like that design.

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Thanks Guys....I did this as a learning tool. I like to look at work from other artists and figure out "how" they did it, once you get that down life seems much simpler in selection of tools and color. I saw this thread somewhere else as a way to learn and thought it was cool for something to try out here, seems like it would be of some value....

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
5rl and a 9rl for me. I would probably line it all in a 5 and make a pass over it with the 9 where it needed to be thicker. You could almost hit it with a 9rs to make the thicker lines, too.

Line everything and then go to work with the black. Machine would need to run a long stroke and quick hands to get the whip shading effect. This is something I'm working on. Depending on how big this is I'd think a 9mag would take care of pretty much everything.

As for the lantern...I'd start red in the center of where it goes and whip both left and right. I'd start the orange from the edges and whip into the red's lighter area. Should get a good blend like that.

Then I would sit down to do the tattoo and second guess my game plan, change a few things around, and hopefully not finish it wishing I had stuck with the original plan. :)

I like that design.

I know youve seen Mario Barth's videos. Did you see the Alfred E. Newman where he said that he went from Light/Dark in color selection? I found that rather interesting...basically questioning the reasons we do what we do. Im going to be doing alot of "experimenting" in this area as soon as I can and play with colors to see what if any difference at all it makes in the process. The one and only drawback that Im sure we all know is contamination of a light color from a dark color and getting MUD!!!! Avoid that and your home free!!!!

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
I do pritty much agree with everything mentiond so far You can also work dark to light in colour also but but careful attention to the direction you "wipe off" and to also keep a nice layer of vasiline present also, also if you was to say lay yellow in then red you can then wipe away "over" the red to get you started with the blend it is a technique in it's own right,quite a difficult 1 but still can be useful, i guess in general thers more ways than 1 to skin a cat ::icon_cheesygrin:

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
I know youve seen Mario Barth's videos. Did you see the Alfred E. Newman where he said that he went from Light/Dark in color selection? I found that rather interesting...basically questioning the reasons we do what we do. Im going to be doing alot of "experimenting" in this area as soon as I can and play with colors to see what if any difference at all it makes in the process. The one and only drawback that Im sure we all know is contamination of a light color from a dark color and getting MUD!!!! Avoid that and your home free!!!!
I love the Barth videos. The one with the Japanese rib piece he discussed going dark to light on his orange to yellow fade in the tiger. Rather than rinsing the tube he just dipped it into the next value and continued the blend. That way rather than two colors sitting on each other you get that blend.

That Alfred E. Newman one is insane...I wished I liked realism more. I wonder how all the ultra real tattoos are going to hold up over time with such intricate details.

So many cats...so many ways to skin them. I guess you just find what works for you...or maybe there is something that works better for particular styles. Thank goodness I have big thighs...lots o' practice room. :)

Mark

Last edited:

beppe

Premium
First Name
angelito
I've got no idea where I'd start with the color in this tattoo, but for the thick outline you could try this method,

I've been told that large tight needle groups can cause quite a bit of skin trauma, and personally I like this method as the lines can be built up to the exact thickness you want. The pic is from Guy Aitchisons reinventing the tattoo.