I messed on some spelling. 😱😭Opinion on my solution.

sheyd

Premium
24 Jul 2020
Michigan, USA
First Name
Shey
sheycreative
I was genuinely hoping I could avoid any major mistakes while apprenticing. But I fucked up. I spelled Est. (as in established) wrong. I showed my client the design 3 times before we started. Once on my iPad when we were looking at fonts, again on the stencils when doing sizing fits, and lastly when the stencil was on her. She didn't say anything. I tattooed it. Thought it looked good. Posted it on social. My friend messaged me and told me it was wrong, so I deleted it off as fast as possible. Now I'm trying to come up with a solution before I message my client. Not going to lie, a part of me doesn't want to message her cause I'm scared and nervous she'll curse me out. 😭But I have to make this right, so I have no choice.

I know the solution is very basic and there isn't much you can give feedback on. But let me know if you have any other ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_2736-1.jpeg
    IMG_2736-1.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_2741-2.jpeg
    IMG_2741-2.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 35

gadsden1776

Premium
8 Oct 2011
First Name
n
well. i'm sure you know who Bob Ross is & what he would say.

I think, done correctly, your solution will look better. I would also look at thinking the "downstroke" lines of the letters.

what's good here - the tattoo. you did a pretty darned good job in the execution though.

once the fix is in, you can get a sharpie & maybe add some more scrolls & such to add more motion in the area. you can add them in grey's so as to push the est2002 forward too. doing them with soft edges will diffuse the area more as well. if the mista... happy accident... is at all noticeable after that... that motion will make it harder for anyone notice.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
17 Dec 2014
Media
Stockholm
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
♥️ Aren't things just terrible sometimes 😏

If it were me I'd exactly like you - I would want to contact the client IMMEDIATELY. Looking at it from aside I'm not so sure though. Of course the responsibility may be on you to the biggest part - but doesn't client have a very big responsibility too?? It's going to be on her body for the rest of her life!

Est is a very minimal part of the focus of this tattoo - changing it could only make it all look worse. I saw this on ig (before you deleted it) and loved it. I didn't even look at that little script thingy to the left.

If it were me I would either not even contact her, but wait and see if she herself (or her friends) noticed it, and if and when she/they do, I would be like "Oh?! Yeah?! And then we (WEEEE) looked at it several times before tattooing!!" Then I would offer her some money back. Half or even all of it. Then you would get a happy customer with a misspelled tattoo 😊♥️ Alternatively call her at once and tell her, and offer all money back.

Hope you'll sort it out somehow!!

You COULD of course do something like tattooing white over the whole "Est" and write it again. Like a friend of mine when apprentice. I'll ask her for photos.

Remove Ads

Last edited:

Cyberthrasher

Premium
23 Sep 2019
California
First Name
Allen
Well, you have the fix down. But, DO NOT KICK YOURSELF over this!!! This is the EXACT reason we get clients to check it and recheck it and assure us it's perfect. She had numerous opportunities to catch it so she has no reason to come back on you. You did the work that she approved. Period. Does it suck, yeah. But I can think of one time specifically that I caught one from my mentor that both her and the client looked it over. I caught it moments before she got to that part of the tattoo. It happens to everyone.

There was another one that wasn't a misspelling, but the client approved it multiple times and even pointed out a different error that made us go re-design it real quick after it had already been stenciled on her. We put the new stencil on, she approved. She checked it when finished and said she loved it. She got wrapped up, went and paid, then came back to use the bathroom. THEN she came out bitching and complaining that it was done all wrong and it was supposed to be on the other side and that's not how she wanted it and whaaaaaaa. It was roman numerals on the ribs. She was copying a photo from some celebrity but decided she wanted it on the other side, but also wanted the numbers to be in the same order on her body as it would have been on the opposite side. Sorry lady - that's not how writing works!! The word at the back of the body has to be on the front if you flip sides!!! She was pissed, but how was that our fault when she had numerous opportunities to clarify what she wanted?

My advice is to contact her, phrase it in a way that reaffirms it was BOTH of you who missed it without being accusatory. Something like "OMG, I shared your photo and a friend pointed out to me that somehow WE BOTH missed that 'Est.' was spelled wrong! I have an idea on how to make it right if you want me to fix it as soon as it's healed." Apologize, because you should be able to catch these things, but she shares equal responsibility for not pointing it out. How are you supposed to know that she didn't really want it to say "Ets"?

DKJ

Premium
23 Oct 2017
Media
France
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
I would do what CybTrash said, to look professional, to show you care, and if you're sure about yourself being able to correct it, go for it. If not maybe ask your mentor.
I think your idea is very good and totally ends the problem, but be sure to get this technically absolutly clean.

This is a reminder i will have in my mind about checking text like a madman.

Peace,

DKJ

Dazza

Premium Gold
25 Jul 2016
Media
Perth
First Name
Daryl
You did a really nice job of the 2002 and I think your fix is perfect, I would tell her a was looking at it to see what I could improve on and just noticed the mistake that we both missed and the offer her a fix , but no money back I’m keeping that shit

sheyd

Premium
24 Jul 2020
Michigan, USA
First Name
Shey
sheycreative
tattoo looks clean :) have any update on this one?
Thanks every one for your responses . They really helped. I pretty much copied cybertrashers response to the T. But she never replied with I guess is a reply in itself. 😅

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.