I need help!

2 May 2021
Brazil
First Name
Leandro
Hello, eveyone.

Two months ago I got a tattoo on my arm and although I'm satisfied with the drawing, the shading really disappointed me. I was expecting a lot more and the artist did a kind of lazy job. I really need some insight on what I could do to improve the overall look of the tattoo, especially the shading. I'm gonna go to another artist and see if he can help me with it. I'm getting very depressed because of that.

PS: I know the drawing is not anatomic, it was intended to be that way. The advice I want is regarding the shading so please don't be mean and leave helpful comments about what I could do instead of setting me down even more.
See here -> Tattoo
Thank you!

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
17 Dec 2014
Media
Stockholm
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Hello Leandro, we're always nice on this forum 😊 Your tattoo looks beautiful to me, I'm not sure what you're lacking. Do you have the reference picture, it would be easier to see what you were expecting when comparing with that.

Sometimes it's a good idea to wait a while, and look at the motif with "new eyes". What you imagined it should have looked like maybe wouldn't have been better, just different.

Burt

Premium
24 Apr 2021
Indonesia
First Name
Burt
Yea same mate, I really can't see where you think the shading can be that different. I'm guessing it's your first tattoo?

DKJ

Premium
23 Oct 2017
Media
France
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
Same here, nice tattoo, maybe the male character (Atlas, i guess?) could have darker shadows on his dress, it could nail it down more as the base of the tattoo.
Apart that, i don't see anything wrong and it seems well done from your picture.

Can you elaborate more about why you don't feel it? Did anyone made some bad remarks about it?
How did YOU feel when you saw it finished? I say that because it's yours and anyone else who doesn't love it may sure have bad taste!

It looks good, it's well placed on your body, and well done (good and solid technique).

Know that it has quite a lot of room left to add other elements, do don't worry to much.

Show us the original design to see where you may feeling it's not accurate.

Peace,

DKJ

Mush

Premium
7 Mar 2021
UK
First Name
Dan
it looks like a well done tattoo, I’d be happy with that.

2 May 2021
Brazil
First Name
Leandro
Same here, nice tattoo, maybe the male character (Atlas, i guess?) could have darker shadows on his dress, it could nail it down more as the base of the tattoo.
Apart that, i don't see anything wrong and it seems well done from your picture.

Can you elaborate more about why you don't feel it? Did anyone made some bad remarks about it?
How did YOU feel when you saw it finished? I say that because it's yours and anyone else who doesn't love it may sure have bad taste!

It looks good, it's well placed on your body, and well done (good and solid technique).

Know that it has quite a lot of room left to add other elements, do don't worry to much.

Show us the original design to see where you may feeling it's not accurate.

Peace,

DKJ
Well the shaded part on the sphere is very uneven (guess that could be fixed) and there's even a space the artist forgot to shade (that could be fixed too). The lining of the man holding the sphere, though, looks very rough and amateur, especially the lower parts. The belly is almost too raw, looking like a sketch. I have a feeling the artist was kinda lazy and didn't wanna waste his ink on me.
I'm thinking about covering it up, maybe. Could it be done? I know an artist who's very good at covering up tattoos. The price is a bit salty but his art is very incredible. Perhaps this one? Tattoo
By the way, this is my third tattoo, all from the same studio. This artist did my calf last year and it was awesome but this time I think he didn't do his best and I don't feel I can trust him anymore.
You all seem very nice and helpful, I'm glad I found this website.

2 May 2021
Brazil
First Name
Leandro
Or perhaps the artist could come up with something based on the "art" I already have and make a tattoo cover-up from there. I'm having an anxiety crisis right now and it makes me sick everytime I look at my arm. This is important :(

DKJ

Premium
23 Oct 2017
Media
France
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
Or perhaps the artist could come up with something based on the "art" I already have and make a tattoo cover-up from there. I'm having an anxiety crisis right now and it makes me sick everytime I look at my arm. This is important :(
Why don't you come back to your tattoer and talk to him/her about your concerns?

You may get what you're looking for free and make him/her happy to keep a client ?
Peace,

DKJ

Cyberthrasher

Premium
23 Sep 2019
US
First Name
Allen
I honestly don't see anything there that couldn't be fixed. Most of it just looks incomplete and kind of flat. It's a minimalist style design, which would normally be a lot smaller. But, with it being this large, it's going to need a bit more work on the values in order to make it come to life. As far as sketchy/amateur lines, I can't see any in the photo. The good news is, that means they can pretty easily be tightened up by an experienced artist.

If you like this design, there's nothing here stopping you from keeping it. But, if you're having second thoughts about the design itself and not just the execution, then I would figure out a coverup before darkening anything. That's an important distinction you're going to need to figure out. If it's the execution, have it fixed. If it's really the design, cover it.

gadsden1776

Premium
8 Oct 2011
First Name
n
the globe shading isn't so much shading. to me it is more artistic in that it is texture on land mass.

there are some errors IMO & things I don't like artistically - however, i generally agree with what everyone else has said. it's a pretty good piece. it can stand as is or be modified.

if it were on my arm. i would go back 3 -4 months after its healed & you've looked at it everyday. i personally would want more contrast & bolder lining (not just thicker - but well placed thick to thin tapers & such).

Remove Ads

2 May 2021
Brazil
First Name
Leandro
the globe shading isn't so much shading. to me it is more artistic in that it is texture on land mass.

there are some errors IMO & things I don't like artistically - however, i generally agree with what everyone else has said. it's a pretty good piece. it can stand as is or be modified.

if it were on my arm. i would go back 3 -4 months after its healed & you've looked at it everyday. i personally would want more contrast & bolder lining (not just thicker - but well placed thick to thin tapers & such).
I'm currently talking to an artist who's very experienced in revitalizing old tattoos and he said he can do something good with mine. I'll keep the design and change the overall shading and reenforce the lining and contrast. He also said that adding a background will do it very good. Thank you all for your help. I'll try to do it a good fix. I'm excited now.

gadsden1776

Premium
8 Oct 2011
First Name
n
I'm currently talking to an artist who's very experienced in revitalizing old tattoos and he said he can do something good with mine. I'll keep the design and change the overall shading and reenforce the lining and contrast. He also said that adding a background will do it very good. Thank you all for your help. I'll try to do it a good fix. I'm excited now.
make sure to post pics

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
17 Dec 2014
Media
Stockholm
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
You don't like the idea?

No, I'm not a fan of doing backgrounds, they usually give an impression of the tattoo being an oval.

Something like this ------>

It's a different style, but you get the idea. Also my impression is that artists avoid doing that now, it was much more common a couple of years ago.

Would you mind giving a link to the Instagram account of tattoo artist who did this? And to the artist who maybe will do a cover up? I'm curious. If you don't want to, that's totally okay.

Cyberthrasher

Premium
23 Sep 2019
US
First Name
Allen
No, I'm not a fan of doing backgrounds, they usually give an impression of the tattoo being an oval.

I have to agree on that one in particular. They really need to have a softer edge in order to work right. Let the skin around it become the lightest value in the background instead of just a sudden stop the the shading.

2 May 2021
Brazil
First Name
Leandro

It's a different style, but you get the idea. Also my impression is that artists avoid doing that now, it was much more common a couple of years ago.

Would you mind giving a link to the Instagram account of tattoo artist who did this? And to the artist who maybe will do a cover up? I'm curious. If you don't want to, that's totally okay.
The one who did mine is Here.
The one I talked to is Here
There's also this one that still hasn't answered me Here. Just please don't talk to them and say I'm complaining about their work πŸ€”
By the way, is it possible to change the style of shading of a tattoo? Say I want to go from what I have to something like this Here

2 May 2021
Brazil
First Name
Leandro
So, I made a sketch (CLICK HERE TO SEE IT) over what's already there. Basically i'd give it all a darker color and change the shading with a sketch style or comon shading depending on what the artist if most comfortable with, also adding a few details to improve the looks. The biggest trick was to cut off a part of the man's vest and redesign it using the lines that are already there. The parts I cut off would be hidden in a very dark surrounding made of dark lines like the ones from Here (bottom of the vest) or just in a backgroun also based on what the artist is most comfortable with. I also fixed a few things that were wrong in my opinion. I love the results. My question is: can it be done in real life? I'm going to see an artist tomorrow and present him all I've just done but I'd also like your opinion. Thank you very much.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
17 Dec 2014
Media
Stockholm
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Thanks, interesting to see πŸ‘πŸΌ I'm sure any of those two will be able to modify your tattoo in a good way.

The photo you show is not very far from what you've already got. I'm not sure why you don't just talk to the artist who did your tattoo, and tell him what you would like to change. That would be a very easy way to fix this. But maybe you and he didn't get along during this last tattoo, that happens. Psychology is quite a big part of tattooing. Maybe that is why he didn't do a satisfying job either (imo he did though). Maybe you both were just tired of each other after 3 tattoos 😌

The technique on the photo you're showing is more sketchy and "scratchy". The shading on your tattoo is softer. Maybe that's what you didn't like? Now I get curious what your other 2 tattoos by him looks like 😊 Photos maybe........πŸ€”πŸ˜Œ

However, it's totally doable to modify the shading so you get more the style of this sketchy one. But you won't get rid of the soft shading of course. You can only add, not delete. Imo your tattoo looks better than the one you want, but that of course is only a matter of taste. (And I usually like that sketchy/scratchy style too.)

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
17 Dec 2014
Media
Stockholm
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Sorry, I was texting while you posted your last comment.

Love your idea! Looks great, and would be a piece of cake for an artist to do!

gadsden1776

Premium
8 Oct 2011
First Name
n
i really like the sketch you did. my personal taste in art & style i like to work in is much closer to that. i would love to be the guy that brought that to life on your arm.

make sure you love it though.

2 May 2021
Brazil
First Name
Leandro
Thanks, interesting to see πŸ‘πŸΌ I'm sure any of those two will be able to modify your tattoo in a good way.

The photo you show is not very far from what you've already got. I'm not sure why you don't just talk to the artist who did your tattoo, and tell him what you would like to change. That would be a very easy way to fix this. But maybe you and he didn't get along during this last tattoo, that happens. Psychology is quite a big part of tattooing. Maybe that is why he didn't do a satisfying job either (imo he did though). Maybe you both were just tired of each other after 3 tattoos 😌

The technique on the photo you're showing is more sketchy and "scratchy". The shading on your tattoo is softer. Maybe that's what you didn't like? Now I get curious what your other 2 tattoos by him looks like 😊 Photos maybe........πŸ€”πŸ˜Œ

However, it's totally doable to modify the shading so you get more the style of this sketchy one. But you won't get rid of the soft shading of course. You can only add, not delete. Imo your tattoo looks better than the one you want, but that of course is only a matter of taste. (And I usually like that sketchy/scratchy style too.)
Here they are (1 and 2). By the way I went to one of the studios I posted earlier and the artist said my sketch could be done. Hard part would be to do some cropping of the vest I suggested and he said he could use some solid dark black geometric forms (like these Triangles) over the cropped parts from the sides and maybe some dark sketch lines in the bottom like they did Here. I'm excited. Booked it for next week.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
17 Dec 2014
Media
Stockholm
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Very nice those two tattoos you have πŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ‘πŸΌ

Sounds good about appointment for next week, it's probably better to do the geometric forms than just solid black - the lines from the first tattoo often tend to show trough the solid black. Let us know how it goes!!

dirtnail

Premium Gold
19 May 2017
Media
Netherlands
First Name
Pieter
lecavalheirus cool design but I get where you are coming from. For me it lacks some contrast. Hope you get the tattoo the way you like it.

I was wondering... did you see any healed work of the artist in real life?
I ask because all the insta photos seem to have a filter making the tattoos look darker and with more contrast. Could be this makes your piece look flat in comparison and therefor a bit disappointing maybe?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.