• Later today, the site will be offline for essential server upgrades. This upgrade should run without any problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.

I think I’m going back a cord power supply

sheyd

Premium
First Name
Shey
sheycreative
So I’ve been thinking about this for a while. I use the cheap power supply battery packs off Amazon. I enjoyed them for a while. They were just so easy and convenient.

But now I feel like the batteries are supper inconsistent. The output is inconsistent. The connecting area eventually got loose and sometimes my battery disconnects enough where it stops and/or it falls out. And it really throws my machines weight balance off. (Though that is something you definitely get used to) also I’m horrible at putting things on the charger. Between my phone n iPad , I barely remembered to charge it.

Then I started using a corded powered supply machine I got off Amazon. And I actually liked it. The cord wasn’t nearly as annoying as I thought

But this video about amperage kinda sealed the cake for me.

I want a musotoku lol. I’m a sucker for beautifully designed things.
Don’t know where I’m going with this but what do u think?

Last edited:

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
It's interesting to hear your point of view of this! You're the absolutely first one I've heard switching back to cords. I see your points though.

Personally I'm very happy not having to bother about the cord.

Never had any problems with inconsistent batteries. But I don't trust these cheap ones. I have it, but will not use it other than on occasions where I need it (powerless places).

My Scorpion rotary has batteries, but the ps still has a cord. And it's a lot higher quality than the cheap Amazon stuff.

Don't know where I'm going with these either 😅 Just felt like telling you my impressions so far.

Will have a look on your video.

Burt

Premium
First Name
Burt
So I’ve been thinking about this for a while. I use the cheap power supply battery packs off Amazon. I enjoyed them for a while. They were just so easy and convenient.

But now I feel like the batteries are supper inconsistent. The output is inconsistent. The connecting area eventually got loose and sometimes my battery disconnects enough where it stops and/or it falls out. And it really throws my machines weight balance off. (Though that is something you definitely get used to) also I’m horrible at putting things on the charger. Between my phone n iPad , I barely remembered to charge it.

Then I started using a corded powered supply machine I got off Amazon. And I actually liked it. The cord wasn’t nearly as annoying as I thought

But this video about amperage kinda sealed the cake for me.

Makes sense to me.. the cords really don't bother me and I really like having a foot switch. That's an interesting video eh. I've been looking into power alot, I thought the cheapest ps was fine till speaking with some more experienced guys here and now I've been paying constant attention and can hear fluctuations too. For sure any fluctuations half way through a line are gunna show up. Whatever works best for you... I kinda wondered why so many people instantly switched to batteries when constant power is so important, even the small voltage adjustments. Im curious to see how this thread goes.....

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
The more amps a power supply can provide, the more stable it is. Likewise, the thicker your cables are, the better the current flow is and so more stable it is.
Batteries are a science on their own, here we deal with much more complicated factors. They are NOT directly comparable to power supplies, or simply said, a 1500mAh battery is not the same as a 1.5A power supply. The important factors here are capacity, RMS current, Peak current, Peak delta time and recovery time.
An example; a lead acid car battery of 40Ah can provide 300A during 10 seconds, which is the peak current needed to start a car engine. A lipo (Lithium Polymer) cell of 40Ah cannot provide that peak current but can provide 4A continuous for 8 hours before it drops the voltage. That is why those are used in mobile phones although at about 3500mAh.

Although seldom mentioned, power supplies generally also contain a certain battery like component, namely one or more capacitors.
Capacitors act like very small batteries in the sense that they can provide a peak current extremely fast which makes them ideal for stabilizing the power supply. Good capacitors are expensive and that's partially why good power supplies are expensive.
If you ever saw a led on a power supply slowly going off after disconnecting the power supply, that is the result of the capacitors discharging when they don't receive power any more.
Those fluctuation you heard are the result of not having enough capacitive backup within the power supply. The other components like integrated circuits, transistors and transformers take the rap for the fluctuations and are not fast enough to react.
Now this is basic power supply theory which applies to 70% of the power supplies, the other 30% use super fast switching components that are much more expensive and only to be found in high end power supplies.

Dazza

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Daryl
Nothing wrong with cords and power supplies, but cheap batteries are cheap batteries, why not get a good one like bishop or critical

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
My observation with a cheap tatsoul "travel" PS is that it will have some downs and jumps while i.m tattoing, but it seems to keep a better consistency than my previous cheap dragonhawk PS.

But still, when i'm grabbing my machine in another way, or if i rotate it, i hear changes. I dunno if gravity has something to do with it, but it happens often.

Peace,

DKJ

JAY.B

Premium
First Name
JAY
I decided on cordless for my first machine but having never used a power supply I couldn’t get over the paranoia that I wouldn’t know better if something was wrong. Bought a venom ps2 and I’m pretty certain even the sound of the machine running is more consistent. Barely used it yet though. I do think even cheap power supplies do the job fine but in the name of repeatable consistency I don’t think it hurts to have a quality power supply. Might find myself wrong though after more use so we’ll see

Torb

Premium
Media
First Name
Torbjorn
I can't see myself ever changing from a power supply. I like having a foot pedal and not having to worry about charging and having flat batteries. Surely a cord is also lighter than a battery. I can understand that batteries work great with pen type machines though.

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
I can't see myself ever changing from a power supply. I like having a foot pedal and not having to worry about charging and having flat batteries. Surely a cord is also lighter than a battery. I can understand that batteries work great with pen type machines though.
If you have a short grenade type pen, the weight, which is less than the machine, is no problem at all. And if you have like a 1500-2000mAh battery it will last for up to 4-5 hours. I leave them charging overnight and without use they hold their charge for a very long time.

Torb

Premium
Media
First Name
Torbjorn
If you have a short grenade type pen, the weight, which is less than the machine, is no problem at all. And if you have like a 1500-2000mAh battery it will last for up to 4-5 hours. I leave them charging overnight and without use they hold their charge for a very long time.
Awesome. I can definitely see the advantages with a pen machine. I use coils and sidewinder type rotary's so the weight of the battery would be hanging out the back. One day I might get with the times and try a pen machine 🙂

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
I think get it!! :)

Another middle ground is Alliance Tattoo Supply's "Grid Destroyer", or Freedom Electric Supply. Both are battery supported power supplies that run on regular clip cords/foot switch. The power supply charges so you're not plugged into the wall. It's kind of a halfway point between a battery pack and being locked in place by an outlet. My mentor has one from Freedom Electric. Full charge will last most of the day and hers is several years old. I think he's made them last even longer now.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Surely a cord is also lighter than a battery.

The weight from the cord being pulled backwards - which it does, not due to weight, but because that's the way it works - puts weight on the hand. You have to use force with your hand to compensate that, no question about it.

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
The weight from the cord being pulled backwards - which it does, not due to weight, but because that's the way it works - puts weight on the hand. You have to use force with your hand to compensate that, no question about it.
When I did my anklet I became so much aware of the fact that a battery pack has no equivalent in terms of freedom of movement, which my leg hasn't ;)

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
When I did my anklet I became so much aware of the fact that a battery pack has no equivalent in terms of freedom of movement, which my leg hasn't ;)
Sometimes when somebody says you're like a Barbie to a woman, I'm like "Gosh I wish I was", that woman can do yoga without practicing.... 🙃

dirtnail

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Pieter
I have the same experience as the Fireside guy, the machine just seemed to have a bit more power with my wired power supply.
And I also noticed a huge difference when moving from a Hurricane to a Critical power supply.

That said... he is referring to a very specific case here. And also has videos where he mentions he has been using cheap Amazon packs for years without issues.
So I guess that it's a case for finding the right tool for the job.
Personally I use wired power for when I need crisp lines or dots, batteries for the rest.

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
Yesternight i experienced the same problem, using a 13 mag, my machine in the air (not tattoing), if i point it there the motor is consistent, if i point it in another direction, the speed is going to a lower level.
It was at 8.5v on my neotat vivace, which is low but not a problem usually with liners.

What could it be?
I don't think it's the wiring because it's not an ON/OFF problem.
Is it a gravity thing, like pushing the mag plus the gravity is too much for my motor?
Or is it my PS which cannot keep up? (It's a tatsoul travel/convention PS, around 100€).
Was my motor too hot, after 2,5 hours of work, it didn't felt that hot?

Any idea is welcomed, i cleaned needle and tube but it didn't change and i had a lot of packing to do, annoying.

Peace,

DKJ

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
Yesternight i experienced the same problem, using a 13 mag, my machine in the air (not tattoing), if i point it there the motor is consistent, if i point it in another direction, the speed is going to a lower level.
It was at 8.5v on my neotat vivace, which is low but not a problem usually with liners.

What could it be?
I don't think it's the wiring because it's not an ON/OFF problem.
Is it a gravity thing, like pushing the mag plus the gravity is too much for my motor?
Or is it my PS which cannot keep up? (It's a tatsoul travel/convention PS, around 100€).
Was my motor too hot, after 2,5 hours of work, it didn't felt that hot?

Any idea is welcomed, i cleaned needle and tube but it didn't change and i had a lot of packing to do, annoying.

Peace,

DKJ
Having a bad connection doesn't always present itself in ON/OFF behavior. The wires used are a strand of multiple single wires. With movement over time, some of these wires break, but not all of them at once, so you have less wires while the current stays more or less the same, thus more resistance which presents itself as lower power at times. You can easily check this by holding the machine steady and moving the wires in all possible directions especially near the connectors. If the same happens you'll know you need to change wires.
Pulling on the wires is also a way to check, they may even break if they are very worn.

A gravity problem may also occur, but this is virtually always because of worn bearings. Heavy use may provoke that, but if it's not like that it could be that you need to oil the bearings of the motor.

There are indeed some mags that are very stiff to move, but that normally is resolved with a kick start, after that they should work fine.

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
Here's an image of a deteriorated wire:
download (9).jpg

and here's where this typically happens:
broken-electrical-wire-plug-white-background-isolate-close-up-electric-shock-defective-213615156.jpg

Remove Ads

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.