• Later today, the site will be offline for essential server upgrades. This upgrade should run without any problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Ink: Best brand to mix my own colors?

First Name
Nad
As a starting artist, I'd love to be able to buy a ton of new colors. However, it's expensive. I'm looking for the best brand of ink to mix my own.

I'd thinking of getting the three primary colors + white and black, and mix until I can afford a full color ink kit. The tattoos I want to start with are small pieces anyways

Any recommendations on the brand and base colors? Thank you.

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
Keep on with the simplest color theory, primary + B&W, you're totally good with that.

The choice of brand, i'll let that to other peeps in here. I only tattoo with Black.

My question on top of this is: How to mix those inks together efficiently? i saw electric ink mixers, like vibrating tips or vibrating bases which shake them well enough.

I wouldn't like to build a rose color and end up with a flow of red because it didn't mix well enough with white in my cup.

Peace,

DKJ

Remove Ads

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
DKJ

I have this little mixer I bought from Killerink. You use disposable mixer rods.

It works great, although I never tattoo with colours, so I never use it šŸ˜Š

20210315_151643.jpg

20210315_151647.jpg

Attachments

• 20210315_151647.jpg
    20210315_151647.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210315_151643.jpg
    20210315_151643.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 0

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
I use those mixers for mixing up my calligraphy inks :)
I should probably use them for mixing the tattoo inks, but I just stir with my tube.
Most of the good companies sell small sample size kits of all of the primary colors. Add black and white and you're set. 1/2 oz is good for a while, but 1 oz is better if you're practicing a lot. Starbrite is having a huge sale right now and all of their stuff is on sale, so you can add a few more colors to it as well.

Intenze:

Eternal:

Starbrite:

Fusion:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.