MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Screenshot_20200626-091943_Instagram.jpg

http://instagr.am/p/CB2W0wls5zI/
How would you go about to make those fatter dotty lines? It looks to me as though he - or she - doesn't first line with a fatter needle and then stipple. To me it looks as though they are completely stippled so to say.

Curious how you would do it! πŸ™‚πŸ‘πŸΌ

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
1rl and a VERY slow machine I'm guessing. then build up the fatter areas? when you get to the areas that are single file super fine HAUL ASS. :)

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
I'll try that Mark! πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘πŸΌ (had to Google haul ass πŸ˜„).

Single needle - music to my ears 😍

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
Haul ass isn't an international term? :)

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Don't know if you're joking now (assume you are , but that moderate smiley implies you're not? πŸ€”), but I never heard of it at least 😊

And 123??? Abbreviation for "agree" according to my Google search?? Jeeeez, these Texans.... completely incomprehensible 😜

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
123? Never heard of that.

but yeah...I was joking. Just so you're prepared next time:

pert near- almost
fixin' to- I'm about to
warsh- is just wash...but with some stupid added R in there to make southerners (americans living in the south of america) sound illiterate

The bastardization of the English language is most prevalent in the South here in the states.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Appreciate you're helping me out with the vocabulary πŸ˜‚ And that man was hilarious πŸ˜„

Strange about the 123 - I'm sure you had typed that after your smiley? πŸ€” And now it's gone. You obviously have magic powers too πŸ˜„

Last edited:

Dazza

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Daryl
It looks hand poked almost ?

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
It looks hand poked almost ?
Yeah you're right! Haven't thought about that. But I'm pretty sure it's not. Some tattoos on that account are hand poked, and those are tagged with that.

Last edited:

balooka

Premium Plus
First Name
Jay
Looks a bit like dotwork to me, the lines don't look like they were done in a single pass, not even on low voltage/fast hand speed. They are not really 'flowing'.
Either way... looks scratchy to me, don't like it :censored:. That crown just looks out of place and horribly executed.

2 cents :giggle:

Edit: Also, both are filtered images... brightness/contrast.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Looks a bit like dotwork to me, the lines don't look like they were done in a single pass, not even on low voltage/fast hand speed. They are not really 'flowing'.
Either way... looks scratchy to me, don't like it :censored:. That crown just looks out of place and horribly executed.

2 cents :giggle:

Edit: Also, both are filtered images... brightness/contrast.
Yeah I think it might be a sort of dotwork technique.

Whether you - or I - like it or not is a matter of personal preference, I'm only interested in the technique 😊 The scratchiness is exactly what I like and want to achieve, to make a motif look sketched.

You think it's been filtered? But what photos on Instagram haven't? I can of course often see photos are filtered, but on this particular one that's not what comes to my mind directly. How can you be so sure? Not questioning you, only interested :) I respect your knowledge in these matters highly.

I don't think it would affect the technique though. Meaning you should be able to use the technique with a satisfying result, I imagine.

Last edited:

balooka

Premium Plus
First Name
Jay
😁 You know me Malin, there's are no ill intentions in my comments 🀘

I dig a scratchy look, like Ildo and BK, but his, to me, looks like a basement scratcher tattoo because I have no reference that this is his style and someone actually wanted that on his/her arm.

Nearly all, if not all, photo's are filtered, by the settings/processor of the camera or on purpose with something like lightroom or photoshop. Every cam that shoots automatic or jpg uses image processing filters, unless you shoot RAW. This one was done with photoshop or something, you can clearly see the brush marks of the selection. Desaturated to get the red out and contrast bump for more black.

I think we've all seen the amazing black tattoos on pale skin, great for marketing but not very realistic. We both had that discussion once that clients expect to get such a black look forever...

I don't think it would affect the technique though. Meaning you should be able to use the technique with a satisfying result, I imagine.
I am not sure about that, why do it if the tattoo is that for real? Do you think this will stand the test of time?

There are artists out there that do a great *illusion* of a scratchy tattoo but when you zoom in some more you see that it's a really well thought out technique.

Hmm maybe I just really don't like this design... πŸ‘Š

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Oh yes I know you! πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘ŒπŸΌ I very much appreciate you say what you think! πŸ˜ƒβ­

Actually I'm pretty sure it was Ildo who linked to her account. That of course doesn't mean it "must be good". But maybe that's why I wasn't sceptical 😊 But I do like it! Not all of it, not every detail, sure the crown is a little off, mostly probably because the bottom part that would be covering the top of the head isn't there. It looks like it's leaning too much behind the head so to say. But I don't mind! Sometimes the sketchy spontaneous style lacks perfection, but gains in vividness. And sure, it would be great if everything was perfect, both vividness, spontaneity, and all details still were perfectly accurate drawn. But not everyone can be da Vinci, or no tattoos at all would be accepted, except for the ones who lack 100% artistry and are only perfectly copied photos. That's great craftsmanship, but it's not art.

Several potential clients, I've been discussing tattoos with, prefer the sketchy style, they don't want these very black, very static lines with the exact same thickness from start to end.

About the filtering - how do you mean you can see brush marks from the selection??? I have no idea how you can see those things πŸ€” I can see if I think a photo looks too pale, too black, or too saturated. But that's just an impression, I don't see it technically so to say.

What I was trying to say about the technique was, that you should be able to dotwork lines - just like you dotwork other things in a motif - even if this particular photo is filtered. Why wouldn't it stand the test of time if "traditional" dotwork does?

Of course I would have to work on the technique, I wouldn't want to do a seemingly sketchy tattoo with bad technique, I want to do a seemingly sketchy tattoo with good technique 😊

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
balooka

Here's another tattooer with a very sketchy style. One who works in same studio as Ildo.

Screenshot_20200628-112755_Instagram.jpg

Don't you like that either? I like it very much πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸΌ Not the actual drawing, or the motif, but the very sketchy technique.

balooka

Premium Plus
First Name
Jay
To be honest... i don’t like it at all. I really like Ildo but this ... nope. Is this a coverup for a watercolour tattoo or are those wings intentionally coloured like that? One thing this style has going for itself is that you can’t go wrong with lining, saturation, depth, parkinsons or smooth blending :unsure::ROFLMAO:

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
To be honest... i don’t like it at all. I really like Ildo but this ... nope. Is this a coverup for a watercolour tattoo or are those wings intentionally coloured like that? One thing this style has going for itself is that you can’t go wrong with lining, saturation, depth, parkinsons or smooth blending :unsure::ROFLMAO:
Okay! We maybe can agree to disagree then πŸ˜ƒ

balooka

Premium Plus
First Name
Jay
No need to agree or disagree... different taste, nothing wrong with that. the world would be boring otherwise :)

Dazza

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Daryl
You're all a bunch of perfectionists! πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
I guess we all strive to get get good lines ,good saturation and smooth shading ,when we see a tattoo that looks like a little kid did it ,we just think that look like rubbish,we probably all did those rubbish tattoos when we first started ,but were embarrassed by them and strived to improve

Ronan73

Premium
First Name
Ronan
http://instagr.am/p/CB2W0wls5zI/
How would you go about to make those fatter dotty lines? It looks to me as though he - or she - doesn't first line with a fatter needle and then stipple. To me it looks as though they are completely stippled so to say.

Curious how you would do it! πŸ™‚πŸ‘πŸΌ
[/QUOTE]

The tattoos are neither here or there. Its what you like and thats what matters.
But To your original question...I saw it and immediately thought of a picture I drew for my nephew years ago which ive attached. The pic is a basic cover copy of lone wolf and the kid.. but the style I used on the stem of the lotus might interest you.
On the stem of the lotus I drew a fine ink faint line then covered in dots to build up a stem. maybe thats a way you could approach it your tattoo. I know some tattoo artists use faint tattoo lines as a guide that they will later cover.
A faint line as a datum then go over it with dots, then you can choose thick or thin and choose as much or as little shading as youd like.

Its just an idea. thumbnail_IMG_20200218_214335_828.jpg hwefiub.jpg

The lines on this pic look big but the lines are actually 0.5

Mucknasty

Premium
First Name
Michael
balooka

Here's another tattooer with a very sketchy style. One who works in same studio as Ildo.

View attachment 23863

Don't you like that either? I like it very much πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸΌ Not the actual drawing, or the motif, but the very sketchy technique.
i like it cos it looks like all the tattoos I have done on myself...maybe theres hope for me yet