Interesting take on rotaries vs coils in the tattoo "ban" scare...

dirtnail

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Pieter
Mr. Gault put up a new video giving his views on some top level dudes shifting from rotaries back to coils... there's some basic rotary bashing which is mainly there to sell his coils I guess :unsure: But the part I found interesting was the theory he puts forward of people getting back to the self-reliant tradition of coils and needle making because of the corporate pressure on tattooing.

I don't necessarily agree with everything he say but I think the "survival through independence" concept is interesting...
Anyway, just wanted to share this for an interesting watch, not to re-spark a rotary vs coil debate :whistle:

Remove Ads Close

dirtnail

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Pieter
Come to think.of it his whole theory only makes sense for cartridges and pens... since the average prison tattoo machine in a rotary machine.

Raskal 1220

Premium Plus
First Name
Chase
dirtnail....I beg to differ. I’ve got quit some time in prison here in Texas, and I’m gonna say that 95% of the machines I’ve used and seen have been more or less, more to less side, coils. How we made them were from relays out of like dishwashers, stoves, washers & dryers. It’s the same concept as coils only you you have to provide the magnet, the “coils” don’t make enough to pull down the band. If we had CD players in there we would have made them rotaries for sure though. They sell am/fm radios in Texas.

dirtnail

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Pieter
Raskal 1220 ow I was under the impression it was mostly rotaries... thanks for clearing that up (y)
I'm definitely going to check some info on those type of machines. Inmates are quite a resourceful bunch :giggle:

soulstare22

Premium
First Name
Timmy
dirtnail....I beg to differ. I’ve got quit some time in prison here in Texas, and I’m gonna say that 95% of the machines I’ve used and seen have been more or less, more to less side, coils. How we made them were from relays out of like dishwashers, stoves, washers & dryers. It’s the same concept as coils only you you have to provide the magnet, the “coils” don’t make enough to pull down the band. If we had CD players in there we would have made them rotaries for sure though. They sell am/fm radios in Texas.
wtf, i thought they were all rotary, just from watching youtube videos and documentaries. I would think a coil machine is way more complex to make and engineer than a rotary, i mean you would need way more parts, and wouldn't the noise alert the guards?