Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Introduction

First Name
lydia
Hello friends!

My name is Lydia, from Melbourne Australia!
I'm brand spanking new to the tattoo industry, and I'm so thankful I've found this community.
I've only ever done hand pokes on myself, yet I've been given the opportunity of a life time and need to create the equipment foundation to start.
( If interested, this is the portfolio which gave me this opportunity )
I was in an apprenticeship for a while, my mentor had planned to teach me with coils to line and rotary to shade & colour, but with this new opportunity they recommend I start with a rotary and with many hours of research I have decided to invest in the Hummingbird Bronc Pen T2 here
I've heard that the fact I've not used a coil machine will benefit my ability to use a rotary.
What are your thoughts and opinions on creating the foundation of tattoo equipment?

Thank you in advance, I look forward to getting to know you all!

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
hi and welcome..thats a nice looking portfolio ..you say your mentor planned to teach you so im guessing you havent actually practiced with a machine yet..im practicing on reelskin (fake skin) it works for me but some members on here hate it..find what works for you..you will find a lot of help and advice on here..but how one person shades doesnt necessarily mean it works for you..its all trial and error...and there will be a lot of errors lol..enjoy tattooing thats all that matters 😁

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Hi and welcome Lydia! First is, if you choose to stay on this forum I recommend you to go premium, that's where we talk :)

A very nice portfolio you have there! (y)

If you invest in the hummingbird, remember that the recommendations for volts is not the same as for other rotaries, hummingbirds run at much much lower volts.

As for if its good or not to have used coils before or not all I would say is that it's a bit like learning to drive a car, the more different cars you drive, the more you realize they are all individual. Having used coils is usually rather for the better than for the worse, only because you know from your own experience what the difference feels like, and don't have to get so confused of all the POISONOUS discussions about rotary vs coils :D I myself am totally pro rotary, mainly because learning to tweak a coils is a lifetime commitment in itself, and pretty old-fashioned too. I decided to move on to the 21st century instead ;) And all the guys on here can now start yelling :p:X3::love:

I'm not sure what you mean you got an opportunity to a life time? :unsure: Anyway, getting a foundation for an equipment is a pretty confusing step, you will get recommended stuff that doesn't suit you, but that's unavoidable. But that's not that important, the important part is that you have a machine, needles, grips, ink, ink cups, some ointment (I would recommend cold pressed coconut oil instead of Vaseline which clogs your needles easily), and something to practice on, like fruits, pigskin, fake skin (reelskin is the best, not so many hate it on here, only one that I know of :) ) Then you can start practicing!

You will need some other stuff to keep your practice hygienic in order to practice on that for when you start tattooing on human skin, but you'll find that out eventually :)

Welcome on board Lydia! :D(y)

Last edited:

fylfot

Donator  
Premium
First Name
david
Lydia, welcome, i think you'll end up going rotary, most people recently seem to. Carrying on with Malins car analogy, a rotary is like a modern volvo, super reliable, comfortable, easy to use etc, A coil is like a 66 mustang, noisy, heavy, gets hot, needs frequent tuning, hard to get used to, BUT really enjoyable to drive and when you do it feels like your part of a thousand memories created by that mechanical thing and it's human operators. Good luck with which ever route you choose.

Dazza

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Daryl
Hi definitely rotary machines all day long ,not sure about the bronco pen ,I haven’t used it but as Malin says it runs at quite low volts ,I not sure if that will limit its uses πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ Check out EZ tattoo supplies they do a few cheaper pen machines

First Name
lydia
Thank you all, very lovely feedback!

I love the car analogy, which is funny as I've only learned how to drive automatic... So rotary it is! haha
Didn't realise how big of a divide there was, but I guess with anything new and upcoming comes with resistance.

If you invest in the hummingbird, remember that the recommendations for volts is not the same as for other rotaries, hummingbirds run at much much lower volts.
I really appreciate this information! It wont be my forever machine, just something to get me started. Ideally I'd love to invest in a Xion... They're just so sexy!

I'm not sure what you mean you got an opportunity to a life time? :unsure:
This opportunity is within a tattoo brand, they also don't do apprenticeships and I'll be on salary!
Once I have my equipment they'll let me practice in store, and asked if I had any willing friends that will know what they're getting into :ROFLMAO:
Which brings me back to the coil vs rotary, the artists in store use rotary's so I wont be able to learn how to build a coil machine unless I take it upon myself to learn.

I'll also be sure to look into becoming a premium member, thanks again everyone!

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
its not as easy as buying the machine and equipment supplies and tatting your friends..well actually it kinda is but all you will do is make a mess on their body's..its gonna take many many months or a year before u will be ready

First Name
lydia
its not as easy as buying the machine and equipment supplies and tatting your friends..well actually it kinda is but all you will do is make a mess on their body's..its gonna take many many months or a year before u will be ready
Haha I completely understand that, I'll be practicing on all that I can - fruits, pig skin, myself, before trying my hand on another person. I'm very lucky to have friends that understand my situation and are happy for me to practice on them. Obviously I'll start very simple and small so I'm able to fix up any mistakes I make once I gain that knowledge. I'm sure the artists there will be watching over me the whole time.

That's why I'm here and researching as much I can to understand technique. I'll always have my mentor that I can always ask questions, he's happy (and a little sad) that I've found such an opportunity. He's given me so much knowledge in the short time I spent with him, I'm so grateful for that.

I've got multiple tattoos, used to live with a 4th year apprentice and she gave me most of my tattoos and I've learned from her tattooing me.
I'm getting tattooed by my favourite artists and picking their brains as I do so. I've been drawing with a machine part to get used to the weight and painting in the way I would tattoo. I have quite a solid understanding of tattooing - yet with all that textbook knowledge, I'll only actually learn from the practice itself.

I'm not expecting it to be easy, that's why I'm choosing this path - I want to work hard, I want to learn everything I can, I want to create beautiful pieces for people that will not only give my clients happiness but myself as well.

Jerry7297

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Jerry
I'll definitely check it out!
How do you find the voltage for the hummingbird? What do you use for lines/shading etc?
Voltages are lower than my Xion. I line at like 5.5V and shade/ pack around 4-4.5V w/ the hummingbird. But I do not own a V7 pen, the voltage may differ a little.

First Name
lydia
Voltages are lower than my Xion. I line at like 5.5V and shade/ pack around 4-4.5V w/ the hummingbird. But I do not own a V& pen, the voltage may differ a little.
Awesome! I'm excited to get my machine so I can try these out. Thank you!

marked 4 life

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Andy
Lydia, welcome, i think you'll end up going rotary, most people recently seem to. Carrying on with Malins car analogy, a rotary is like a modern volvo, super reliable, comfortable, easy to use etc, A coil is like a 66 mustang, noisy, heavy, gets hot, needs frequent tuning, hard to get used to, BUT really enjoyable to drive and when you do it feels like your part of a thousand memories created by that mechanical thing and it's human operators. Good luck with which ever route you choose.
Not all coils are like that, mine is an absolute pleasure to use even after over 2 years, it isnt noisy, doesnt get hot, only occassionally needs the gap setting and the motor doesnt burn out after a couple of years πŸ˜‚ i do use rotaries for colour packing and shading though 😊

First Name
lydia
Not all coils are like that, mine is an absolute pleasure to use even after over 2 years, it isnt noisy, doesnt get hot, only occassionally needs the gap setting and the motor doesnt burn out after a couple of years πŸ˜‚ i do use rotaries for colour packing and shading though 😊
That's what my mentor would do, he's been in the industry for 18 years and swore by coil machines for lining.
Given I'm a machine virgin and if I get a rotary, I'll have nothing to compare it to ...

marked 4 life

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Andy
That's what my mentor would do, he's been in the industry for 18 years and swore by coil machines for lining.
Given I'm a machine virgin and if I get a rotary, I'll have nothing to compare it to ...
Machines can be a money pit and you will try quite a few to see what suits you, Malin will tell you that πŸ˜‰ pen style machines seem to be popular but the choice available is enormous, same for cartridges, research carefully before investing in an expensive machine πŸ˜‰

First Name
lydia
Machines can be a money pit and you will try quite a few to see what suits you, Malin will tell you that πŸ˜‰ pen style machines seem to be popular but the choice available is enormous, same for cartridges, research carefully before investing in an expensive machine πŸ˜‰
Thank you! I'm researching as much as I can. It all seems to be a little bias and hard to find the information I need so my guess is to invest in something like above to just practice at first then upgrade once I've gained more of an understanding of how it works and what I want to improve on.

fylfot

Donator  
Premium
First Name
david
a lot of the tattoo machine business is just re-inventing the wheel, there's awesome work being done out there with coil and rotary alike. There's too much choice now with everything tattoo related, don't even start on needle configurations AAArrrrggghhho_O

balooka

Premium
First Name
Jay
Thank you! I'm researching as much as I can. It all seems to be a little bias and hard to find the information I need so my guess is to invest in something like above to just practice at first then upgrade once I've gained more of an understanding of how it works and what I want to improve on.
Practicing with crappy gear will not necessarily do you any good. I don't see any benefit in practicing lining with a machine that will never be good enough to pull a decent line with. It would only frustrate you I'd reckon. That being said, there are plenty of great machines that are not overpriced.

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
stigma hyper V3 is a rotary machine with adjustable give and stroke length.so you can have the punch of a rotary or more give like a coil machine

TexasPT

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
ask to borrow your mentors. I've done that and was able to use a couple different makes that would have cost me thousands to buy and try.

First Name
lydia
Practicing with crappy gear will not necessarily do you any good. I don't see any benefit in practicing lining with a machine that will never be good enough to pull a decent line with. It would only frustrate you I'd reckon. That being said, there are plenty of great machines that are not overpriced.
Do you have any recommendations ?

ask to borrow your mentors. I've done that and was able to use a couple different makes that would have cost me thousands to buy and try.
I'm not with my mentor anymore unfortunately so I don't have that option

balooka

Premium
First Name
Jay
I've heard and read good reviews on the Bronc. I'm thinking about getting one, since the look ergonomic. I am pretty sure someone here has one. Maybe (s)he can chime in? Buddy of mine has the Equalizer Proton (Kwadron) and he loves it. They are both not too expensive for pen style machines.

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
I will salute you if you manage to buy less than 4 machines before you find one you're really happy with ;)

marked 4 life

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Andy
I will salute you if you manage to buy less than 4 machines before you find one you're really happy with ;)
I purchased over 25 machines in 3 years to find the set up which actually suited me, it wasnt poor machines which held me back but poor understanding and technique, i have 7 machines in my daily rotation and sometimes have 5 machines set up to do one tattoo.

First Name
lydia
I purchased over 25 machines in 3 years to find the set up which actually suited me, it wasnt poor machines which held me back but poor understanding and technique, i have 7 machines in my daily rotation and sometimes have 5 machines set up to do one tattoo.
this is exactly my thought process, its not the tools its the user!

First Name
lydia
I've heard and read good reviews on the Bronc. I'm thinking about getting one, since the look ergonomic. I am pretty sure someone here has one. Maybe (s)he can chime in? Buddy of mine has the Equalizer Proton (Kwadron) and he loves it. They are both not too expensive for pen style machines.
That's funny I was looking at the Kwadron's too! If you get a Bronc pen please do let us know how you like it!

Jerry7297

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Jerry
I have a Bronc pen. I spoke on this earlier in this post ( quality and speed). I recommended the V7 Xion knock Off they have out now. I DO NOT have that version of Bronc. I have the bulkier original version but I have had it for some time now and I feel like it is a quality machine for the money.

First Name
lydia
I have a Bronc pen. I spoke on this earlier in this post ( quality and speed). I recommended the V7 Xion knock Off they have out now. I DO NOT have that version of Bronc. I have the bulkier original version but I have had it for some time now and I feel like it is a quality machine for the money.
thank you. I couldn't seem to find a knock off xion and if you like your bronc im sure its not much different to the one I'm looking at