Introduction

MannJM536

Premium
First Name
Joey
Hello my name is Joey I from Memphis TN trying to find someone to let me apprentice with but not having any luck so I'm doing some tattoos on myself my shading in and coloring sucks u know it's because my technique sucks but I don't have anyone who is will to give me any pointers. Anyway nice to meet you all

Remove Ads

Dazza

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Daryl
Hi Joey welcome to the forum

Chopper20

Premium Gold
First Name
Andy
Hi Joey. I’d save your skin for now and practice on “reel skin” or pig skin until you’re happier with your shading 👍

Chopper20

Premium Gold
First Name
Andy
Cool that shows the same results as my skin?
I think reel skin is the closest I’ve gotten to human skin. Pig skin is a bit smelly and not nice to work with.

Reel skin is expensive so what I do is practice my line work on cheap synthetic skin. I do a bunch of concentric circles, s curves, long straight lines and squares. It doesn’t feel like human skin but helps with hand positioning, hand speed and getting your eye in. So more of the mechanics side of things.

Then I have A5 sheets of reel skin and I use this to practice designs and shading. This stuff is stretchable and wipes clean. It’s also good for depth control and is as close as you can get to human skin in my opinion.

As you already done a bit on human skin you’ll be able to tell how it’s different and adjust accordingly when you go back to human skin.

If I’m going to do a tattoo on human skin I practice it first on reel skin to familiarise myself with the design.

I guess there will come a time when I no longer need to do this but for now it helps to build confidence and iron out any issues before I commit to human skin.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art

Costs more than the cheap fake skin, but definitely worth it. You definitely learn from practicing on it, and when you feel secure enough on fake, you can move to human skin. As I've seen you've already tried human skin you will already have that experience, and can focus on getting better, instead of only being curious of the real thing :) Save that for when you really can benefit from it. Even pros sometimes use reelskin when they want to try something new 😊👍🏼

troub1edsou1z

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Tom
Welcome....I would also advise on fake or pig skin. If you're serious about learning, don't just throw some stencil on it and go to town. You have to crawl before you walk. Start off by wraping it around something so it's not flat and do a whole sheet with just lines....straight, curved, circles, squares, triangles. Watch your needle, not the tube. Do not roll your wrist. 98% of your movement is from the shoulder and elbow. Everything in tattooing is about consistency. Once you can make a solid consistent line then move on to just making different shapes and packing them solid.

Chopper20

Premium Gold
First Name
Andy
MannJM536 thought I'd share my practice sheet. This is what I use regularly for practice. I try different shading techniques in the squares.
So I print this out. Create a stencil and apply it to fake skin, and wrap it around an object and strap it to an armstand. It's pretty good practice:

Tattoo Practice Sheet.jpg

MannJM536

Premium
First Name
Joey
I think reel skin is the closest I’ve gotten to human skin. Pig skin is a bit smelly and not nice to work with.

Reel skin is expensive so what I do is practice my line work on cheap synthetic skin. I do a bunch of concentric circles, s curves, long straight lines and squares. It doesn’t feel like human skin but helps with hand positioning, hand speed and getting your eye in. So more of the mechanics side of things.

Then I have A5 sheets of reel skin and I use this to practice designs and shading. This stuff is stretchable and wipes clean. It’s also good for depth control and is as close as you can get to human skin in my opinion.

As you already done a bit on human skin you’ll be able to tell how it’s different and adjust accordingly when you go back to human skin.

If I’m going to do a tattoo on human skin I practice it first on reel skin to familiarise myself with the design.

I guess there will come a time when I no longer need to do this but for now it helps to build confidence and iron out any issues before I commit to human skin.
Thanks

MannJM536

Premium
First Name
Joey
MannJM536 thought I'd share my practice sheet. This is what I use regularly for practice. I try different shading techniques in the squares.
So I print this out. Create a stencil and apply it to fake skin, and wrap it around an object and strap it to an armstand. It's pretty good practice:

View attachment 21996
Thanks a lot I will definitely start using this to practice

AndyCrap

Basic
First Name
Andy
Hi and welcome.
Thanks for the practice sheet idea, like your thinking.
Will be using that if you don't mind.