Jack Sparrow - Portrait Practice

X DEBS X

Basic
First Name
Debbie
A portrait i did yesterday. I havent tried drawing a portrait for years so i thought id have a go. Hope to be doing more soon and eventually in the future tattooing portraits on skin.​

Remove Ads

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
Where did you get the reference for your portrait?did you freehand it or trace it from a photograph?

X DEBS X

Basic
First Name
Debbie
Where did you get the reference for your portrait?did you freehand it or trace it from a photograph?
I got the reference pic off a site on the net. I approached this portrait in the exact same way that i would be setting out to do it as a tattoo. First i printed the image out in the size i want, then as you would to make your stencil, i used my lightbox to fineline all the the appropriate lines/areas that i need to use as guidelines to know where the shaded and light areas need to be. Then as you would tattoo with your machine, i shaded with my pencil. I changed a few things here and there, the same as you would when tattooing as very small details etc will not make it as a tattoo ( as long as you dont change any major important features it will be fine).

I think this is great practice if your aiming towards realism/portraits as the setup is very nearly the same. I would reconmend to everyone to give it a go. I am going to try a portrait on pig skin when i get the chance.:icon_biggrin:

Here is the reference pic i used and also a pic of the portrait at the near beginning to show you all the detailed setup of the piece.

devans

Basic
First Name
Dallas Evans
I did a jack sparrow, but airbrush work, not as detailed as your pencil drawring though :icon_eek: good work mate

13crows

Premium
First Name
neil
very nice m8 i did the samething with a pic of my little girl ..all good practice :icon_biggrin:

ASH13

Basic
First Name
TWM
That does it.....Im never gonna pick up a pencil or tatoo machine again. :icon_cheesygrin:

Good job debs.