Just Joined: Figured I should say HI

RustDeamon

Premium
First Name
Erick
so the introduction. I'm 41 American. Had an apprentiship in propbably the crappiest shop ever and not because their tattoos were bad but because they didn't teach crap and had the professional standards of a child. I spend hundreds of hours setting stations, prepping stencils, drawing original works or recreating customers works for customers and learned approximately Jack about actual tattooing technique. They always had other "tasks" for me to do while actual tattooing was happening so I didn't get to learn any methods. After questionable activities with recreational pharmaceuticals started happening in and around the shop I bailed and left the apprentiship rathert than risk getting caught up in all that nonsense.

Prior to the apprenticeship I did what most people in my area do when they get interested in tattooing, build my own rotary gun with an rc motor paperclip and bic pen and tattooed the hell out of some fruits then I went seeking an apprenticeship. I may eventually go for another apprenticeship but tattoo parlors around here are virtually impossible to get into and licensing here in my state is VIA apprenticeship only and dependent on shop inspection, no shop no apprenticeship = no license.

I am man of a million hobbies so this is a casual interest for me I run an animal rescue and train dogs for a living so this will only ever be a hobby for me much like building my own custom motorcycles is another hobby of mine. So forgive all my stupid questions on information I should have learned in the year I had my apprenticeship.

Remove Ads Close

RustDeamon

Premium
First Name
Erick
Oh I should mention I have roughly 14 tattoos and one half sleeve so I'm not stupid just not as well educated on ink laying methods as I should be. I can set the hell out of a station though lol

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
Hi Erick and welcome to the forum! Sad to hear about the shitty apprenticeship, but it seems you're not alone experiencing that 😏

This is a great place for learning on your own, and if you plan on keeping tattooing a hobby this forum will get you far enough ✌🏼

I would advise you on going premium though, because that's where we do the talking. It's a tiny fee for a huge well of information ❤

RustDeamon

Premium
First Name
Erick
Don't get me wrong my hobbies are pretty involved, as you see that bike in my profile picture is a 3 year long project should be finished next year. I built and painted everything on that bike, I generally get in pretty deep. I had to teach my self to rebuild motorcycle engines for that one. I like hobbies that push my brain learn more. Right now as far as tattooing goes I'm learning to tune my machines I have 4 2 liners and 2 shaders, and simply trying to learn to lay in nice clean lines, I have to get some better practice medium becasue while tattoing fruit get you used to inking along uneven surfaces it's not rubbery like human skin is, and my wife is getting mad at me for tattoing all her oranges and cantelope.

RustDeamon

Premium
First Name
Erick
I didn't mean to sound arrogant when I said this forum would be enough if you were to do tattooing as a hobby, far from it!

About practice medium, this is a good one ReelSkin Synthetic Tattoo Practice Skin A bit pricey, but definitely worth it 👍🏼
no worries, I just felt that saying it's just a hobby sounded too casual on my end, I just wanted to be clear that my mortgage doesn't hang on slinging ink. so I'm not under the gun but I have all the time in the world to get it right and ask all the dumb questions. it'll take a lot more than a casual response to bother me, I have a pretty thick skin (pun intended) and I literally did not read your reply as arrogant, at all.

RustDeamon

Premium
First Name
Erick
Thanks everyone for the welcomes, I appreciate it. should be a fun ride.