Latest on Rubber

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
Done this one to-day on rubber skin havn't done much practice of script ,a few people have been asking me for it thought i better get a bit of practice in :icon_mrgreen: Picture 027.jpg can anyone spot the 'mistake'in the letters?if anything i learned to make sure my stencil was the right way up before starting 'it was actually the wife who spotted it!!!just as well it wasn't on real skin!!!

Remove Ads

tattytone

Premium
First Name
Tony
what fake skin you use jum ? they come out pretty good, look better than pig skin, the fake stuff i got is rubbish.

really impressed with the rubber tats they look cool

Daz

Premium
First Name
Darren
Well done Jim love it, you have come a long way mate. Nice one keep it.:clap:

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
what fake skin you use jum ? they come out pretty good, look better than pig skin, the fake stuff i got is rubbish.

really impressed with the rubber tats they look cool
I get them from magnumtattoosuppliesuk. they cost£8.99 free delivery for 10 .

tattytone

Premium
First Name
Tony
did you wipe the letters or just leave the ink on ? i ended up leaving it on on my Betty boop i did, if i wiped it it stained the rubber big time.

cheers for link will check it out, just looked and its the same ones i got, and i dont get em looking as good as clean as yours, tell us what you use on them i will give it a try

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
did you wipe the letters or just leave the ink on ? i ended up leaving it on on my Betty boop i did, if i wiped it it stained the rubber big time.

cheers for link will check it out
I wipe every bit i do as i go along 'it is a bit tedious and uses a lot of vaseline but it is easier kept clean this way and the ink cleans of better when it is still wet'dab it first with a dry piece of kitchen roll to remove the excess ink then rub clean with the vase .

X DEBS X

Basic
First Name
Debbie
I like the designs. :icon_smile: what needles did u use? These are tattoed? Or are they drawing practice with pen? The only reason i ask is beacuse the shading is consistant with the markings of colouring in with a felt pen.

If not, what shading techniques are you using? Do you mix your own washes?:icon_mrgreen:

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
I like the designs. :icon_smile: what needles did u use? These are tattoed? Or are they drawing practice with pen? The only reason i ask is beacuse the shading is consistant with the markings of colouring in with a felt pen.

If not, what shading techniques are you using? Do you mix your own washes?:icon_mrgreen:
Yes they are 'tattoed'.I used a 7 tight liner and a 9 round shader .I can see why they look like 'felt tip'in this pic,iwas 'experimenting with my own colour washes and shading techniques.ie brush and sweep styles'granted they came out looking a bit artifical!!!but after all this is what practice is all about:icon_wink:

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
Used a 5l and a 9rs on this one 'and yes Debs' it IS a Tattoo!!!:icon_cheesygrin: more shading practice needed methinks :icon_cheesygrin: Picture 038.jpg

extreme

Premium
First Name
Tim
I get them from magnumtattoosuppliesuk. they cost£8.99 free delivery for 10 .
I love the clean look yep better than pig skin I can only find magnumtattoosuppliesuk
on Ebay is that where you got the skins from.

Please let us know
Thanks

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
That is great stuff Jim. You must be proud of it. Just looking past the rubber, is that the world cup its wrapped round? Do they know its gone yet? Not seen anything in the news or anything!
Remember, you saw it first here on Help Me Tattoo!
LOL :icon_mrgreen:

ASH13

Basic
First Name
TWM
do you do much drawing Jim.
Thats a good question.

Jim your work is very hit and miss. Youve got a few I dont think I could do, but also youve got some that are very poor.

I need to draw more myself. :icon_redface:

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
Thats a good question.

Jim your work is very hit and miss. Youve got a few I dont think I could do, but also youve got some that are very poor.

I need to draw more myself. :icon_redface:
I know ! but that is what this forum is all about !tell each other the truth 'if something looks 'poor' say it and don't give false praise if it is not deserved positive critiscism and advice is always welcome:icon_cheesygrin: I know that this 'portrait'is s**t but i have learned a lot from it i would appreciate positive advice from anyone on where it has gone wrong and what i need to do to improve 'it is only on rubber and i would not attempt anything like this on real skin :icon_biggrin:

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
i suggested drawing more because it's the start of a good tattoo, the last portrait you did is not shit in the way that you haven't outlined the face you have shaded areas that should be shaded although shading is an area you need to work on, also the shape of the eyes and mouth are ok but your placement is off which with practise and a better technique you will do much better and if you research value maps this will help you to do a much more detailed stencil, none of your work is shit and i'v seen how your work as come on from the beginning i just think you will improve if you do more drawing.

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
Thanks very much for those comments Tony i will take on board what you say ,the rubber skins are not ideal for good results but i cant get decent pigskin'i know i need to concentrate on my shading and drawing skills'i will do a detailed drawing of my next portrait attempt before making a stencil for tattooing'i had just done some rough outlines for this one 'i need to spend a bit more time on preparing for this type of stuff.

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
Had a go at this one,skin started to split along the outlines and it started to wrinklebadly'but after half a jar of vase trying to keep it clean this was the result !these skins can be a nightmare to work with it was like tattooing a jigsaw puzzle at the end as some of the outlined sections started to come apart:icon_eek: Picture 002.jpg Picture 001.jpg

Fozz

Premium
Media
First Name
Michael
You should try and get some decent fake skin, I've tried that stuff and I know what you mean about it falling apart. I've had my depth set at 1mm before and it was still hit-and-miss.....

Your work is definitely coming along, though, I think it would look miles better if you'd taken the colours right up to the outlines..... In most of your tattoos, you seem to miss big chunks near the lines......

Also, I think you need to work slower. The lines and shading are inconsistent and you can see every needle mark..... Simply slowing down, and working at the speed of your machine will correct this......

There are some good e-books in the premium section that I have used, and think they'd help you loads...... There's one on drawing hands and portraits, which also includes skulls. I still read it now, I can highly recommend it......

Your work is getting miles better though mate :icon_mrgreen:.....

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
Had another wee go on cheap skin have sent for the better stuff hopefully will get better results from it Picture 009.jpg

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
you should find that new stuff much better, i pay *£4.19 for mine and it takes two days to get to me, i also agree with fozz about taking your time, your work is 100 times better when you slow things down, you now know your machines inside out so you are not practising outlining anymore you practising your colour technique and shading which takes time if you want a good result, i very rarely finish a practise tattoo on the same knight it normally takes two.

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
I will be concentrating on solid colour and shading as you suggest i know that has been a problem'also i tend to rush to finish a design ,it has been hard to get the ink into the cheaper skins and frustrating when you think that parts of it are done only to find that when i clean it 'it is not'i cant get decent pig so i will just have to perservere with rubber,and a few spaces left on my legs'so thanks for the advice folks:thumbsup:

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
Here is an attempt i made at a pic of my grandaughter i know it is not great by any means'it is done on cheap fake stuff'on the original skin i had tried a bit of background shading but it turned out to be a mess so i cut the 'best':icon_rolleyes: bit out and put it against a new piece of skin!feel free to pull it apart all advice is welcome i am going to have another go at it on the better quality skin :icon_redface: Picture.jpg

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
Hi Jim, i'm not going to pull it to bit's because that doesn't help you, this is by far the best you have done but there is a few things you can do to get a better result, i can see you are noticing some of the finer points by looking at the mouth, it's not perfect but the small details are there, if you take a good look at an eye you will see that it doesn't have a strong outline it is made up of shadow and eye lashes also instead of filling the iris in with one shade of grey try working from the outside to the pupil with thin lines working your way around the eye until you get the right shade do the same with the lips don't just shade them in work with lines from top to bottom this will give you some of the natural creases you get in lips, there is still some parts that don't quite look the same as the photo so either take your time on the stencil or take more time in following your lines, also i think you have to much in the photo so crop the photo so you have just got the head and part of the shoulders you will have a bigger picture to work on, you are doing really well so i would keep at it but with the better fake skin, good job m8

220px-Menschliches_Auge.jpg

Viper65

Basic
First Name
MIKE
Looking really good there jim! In looking at your past work up till now youve progressed all along! The only thing that stood out to me immediately in this was the placement of the eye, they look a bit different but other than that I think you did some great work with this!:icon_mrgreen:

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
love the design. You did a great job. This rubber is a pain to get color into so no points lost for not having smooth blends.

Mark