Leather As a Practice Medium

bikepainter

Premium
First Name
Gregory
This is my first work in 17 years. After an exhaustive search for piggy (with no luck), I had a go on the fake skin...after 10 min I knew this wasnt for me. I bought the cheapest stuff online I could find, so quality may have had something to do with it but just didnt want to frustrate myself (why i gave it up many years ago)by having probs with this stuff. I do some leather work and have some scrap stuff and decided to give it a try and thought id share my results. The tat work itself is poor, but it is my first in many years, but plan on doing some wrk daily so im sure I will progress, but wanted to let those who cant locate piggy know of another alternative for practice. some leather shops, like Tandy sell small scrap by the pound, for a low price. This is vegatable tanned leather with a water proof finish which i just quikly applied. In this case I used an acrylic product called Resolene. The finish eventualy wore off from wiping but i applied vaseline regularly to prevent staining. Then just tattooed normally. I hope this advice can help some of you. Ill post more pics as my work progresses.

ASH13

Basic
First Name
TWM
Its actually not bad man, and very creative using leather. :icon_mrgreen:

daveb

Basic
First Name
Dave
yes for first time experience and to get used to the whole process this is ok..if you have a cheap supply of leather....maybe even try soaking it overnight to make it more supple and comparable to real skin? anything has to be better than practise skin or fruit.....