Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Let's start something fun. Anyone want to participate in a weekly art challenge?

AtlantaNate

Premium
First Name
Nathan
So I'm thinking I could use a little motivation to practice and maybe some of you could as well. I have several artistic goals for the year but one is to up my weekly art output in an effort to become a better artist with the hope that it bleeds over to my tattooing. I am thinking we should do a weekly art prompt. It would be similar to the drawing contest except there are no winners or losers. It will be a collaborative thread and we will provide constructive criticism if asked. Any medium is acceptable, pencil, ink, watercolor, digital etc. Post as many pieces as you want, post Works in progress, finished works, works you need help or want advice on etc.

We are all busy and most of us don't tattoo for a living but lets try to squeeze out some time to improve.

This week is a late start so we'll have some extra time. I figure we'll run this thread from today until Sunday 1/13/18.

We will start off with an easy common tattoo theme, The Rose.

AtlantaNate

Premium
First Name
Nathan
I like that style of rose, it could look cool tattooed for sure

Pzychotixx

Premium
Media
First Name
Albert
Yeah but the challenge I put on myself is to use just the black ink not pre made gray btw so far it's all kuro sumi outline cause I didnt wanna get in the way to grab another black ink while he was working

AtlantaNate

Premium
First Name
Nathan
Yeah but the challenge I put on myself is to use just the black ink not pre made gray btw so far it's all kuro sumi outline cause I didnt wanna get in the way to grab another black ink while he was working
I hear Kuro Sumi mixes down well

Pzychotixx

Premium
Media
First Name
Albert
Idk if it's the different skin or the switch to the kuro sumi but I prefer the ink to the dynamic I had been using

TexasPT

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
kuro sumi is a little thinner...I used it forever but switched to dynamic. Solid ink makes a really good black too.

AtlantaNate

Premium
First Name
Nathan
One I scribbled our tonight inspired by Javier Rodriguez from Spain. His work is awesome. @javier_rodriguez on Instagram. Clean, bold, great color pallets. Love his style
I’m definitely into that Spanish style of traditional. The Italian stuff is awesome too. I can see it in that rose. Hopefully o can find some time to paint today to post something.

parm

Premium
First Name
parmvir
Hello, not sure if Iv shared this on here yet, but it's a peice Iv been working on for a while. Critique and suggestions for colour schemes welcome

Attachments

AtlantaNate

Premium
First Name
Nathan
Hello, not sure if Iv shared this on here yet, but it's a peice Iv been working on for a while. Critique and suggestions for colour schemes welcome
I like that one a lot! The composition is great and the lines are crisp so no real CC for you on that. What medium will you be using to color it? You can't go wrong with traditional colors on a design like this so black green yellow and red. Red roses and either black and yellow or green and yellow snake with a black and grey skull. When you are done or before depending on the medium, you can stain the paper with coffee or tea.

Pzychotixx

Premium
Media
First Name
Albert
If u have access and want to try other color schemes and it's on paper I'd say copy it and go for it but my thought on the color was already given but if u wanna tie the snake and rose color together more closely u could add maybe yellow highlights to the rose petals or the leaves

Pzychotixx

Premium
Media
First Name
Albert
Also the brown on the other posts is stained with tea or coffee I never thought of that

dirtnail

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Pieter
@parm cool design you did there!
I think it has quite a neo-traditional vibe to it so I would suggest looking for ideas on a colour scheme in that style... also you could play around a bit with different line weights, might make the image even more dynamic.

AtlantaNate

Premium
First Name
Nathan
Normally i used coffee or tea to stain my sheets but on the one above I used walnut ink to experiment with it since it is more water proof. I need to do more experimenting before I decide if I like it. Tea gives a nice lightly aged look that is more yellow and coffee looks heavily aged and is more brown.

AtlantaNate

Premium
First Name
Nathan
Finally finished up my practice skin rose
I can see what you are going for for sure. I think the shading is definitely on the right track. You are going to need to work on your lines for sure. I have a feeling your hand speed is too fast for your machine speed. I’m too much of a newb to give much advice but that is what I’m suspecting

Pzychotixx

Premium
Media
First Name
Albert
This could be the case but to say its my 3rd practice tattoo
I'm super stoked I wanna get my hand on some rs needles

AtlantaNate

Premium
First Name
Nathan
This could be the case but to say its my 3rd practice tattoo
I'm super stoked I wanna get my hand on some rs needles
For sure, great job. I use big wasp. They are the best I can get a hold of easily. I use both the carts and the traditional needles.

AtlantaNate

Premium
First Name
Nathan
Alright, he is another rose painting. Also, I think what would be better is to keep threads with themes and then we can add work to each type of thread. That way someone coming along looking to learn about say roses can search and find the Rose thread and read some good discussion and see some examples.

Attachments

Pzychotixx

Premium
Media
First Name
Albert
Alright, he is another rose painting. Also, I think what would be better is to keep threads with themes and then we can add work to each type of thread. That way someone coming along looking to learn about say roses can search and find the Rose thread and read some good discussion and see some examples.
Yeah lol makes sense it acts as a sort of repository for reference and conversation also they'll be able to see different styles and approaches

dirtnail

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Pieter
@AtlantaNate looking good! quite a portfolio your building there (y)

Would indeed be a good idea to keep themed threads. Like @Pzychotixx said would be awesome if the grew into small reference/inspiration repositories.
Maybe change the name of this thread to point out it's about roses?

Jerry7297

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Jerry
Man that looks great. Would look good hanging in a frame. I would hang it. I have some of my old crappy artwork hung up and that still looks okay... LOL

AtlantaNate

Premium
First Name
Nathan
Man that looks great. Would look good hanging in a frame. I would hang it. I have some of my old crappy artwork hung up and that still looks okay... LOL
Thanks man, i'm really working on getting better at painting. I feel it translates directly into the types of tattoos that I want to do. Learning a ton about colors, lining, shading etc.