License Requirements???

Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink
Premium
First Name
Steve Morris
Hello all,

Just wondering what is required to obtain a license?

I am hung up on the fact that the authority needs proof of training, can the license be obtained without it, as long as you satisfy the health & safety aspect a

Just curious?

Thanks
Steve

Remove Ads

akka

Premium
First Name
Ben
Dawn (wild) is probs the best person to speak to as shes goin thrugh the process at the time not sure on the proof of training thing that might be diferent for diff places

pilitomas

Basic
First Name
tomas
i'w been told its depend of county and local councel .... one man sad that in his local council they wont give then heaskt in nex (about 5 miles difrents ) and they give (home studio lisence)

Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink
Premium
First Name
Steve Morris
Thanks, from what i have read so far i need the following:
Waist height tiling
Hot / Cold water
Tiled flooring
Autoclave (got one)
Autoclave record book / test strips (got them)
Sharps boxes
Yellow clinical waste bin liners
Clinical waste contract with cover note

Just wondering if i would need a first aid course under my belt?

akka

Premium
First Name
Ben
whould u still need an autoclave if ur using all disosable materials?
whuldnt have said a first aid course whould be assential unless ur employing enyone but i could be wrong even so it whuldnt take mutch to do one
id suggest some form of blood borne pathogens course though even thoug is not requred it look good i think LMR posted a link to one u can do online
unfortionaly i cant reg no matter what at the moment as the landlord (housing assosiation) wont allow a buissness of any kind to be ran from their propertys
(i made inquirys thru me old man whos bord of directors and theirs no leeway:angry:)

Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink
Premium
First Name
Steve Morris
I think an autoclave would be a must so the stainless tips/grips & tubes could be thoroughly sterilized before the next client, unless you use chuck away ones?

I will have a dig around for the blood Bourne pathogens course online

akka

Premium
First Name
Ben
yeah thats what i ment using disposables

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
License Requirements

Hi Steve, you donÃÂ*¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¡Ã‚*¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¾Ã‚*¢t need any proof of training, you can do the worst tattoo anybody as ever seen and not be in any trouble, except from the person you have tattooed, it is health and safety that is the concern, you donÃÂ*¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¡Ã‚*¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¾Ã‚*¢t need to take an health and safety course but I would certainly read up on it, so you will be ready to answer any questions asked. In the studio you have to think about things like floor covering, or laminate up against a carpet, on the walls it would be best painted or if it is wall papered then is it washable, put blinds up instead of curtains, the furniture that the customer and yourself are made of something that can be washed down, IÃÂ*¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¡Ã‚*¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢*‚¬Å¾Ã‚*¢m not sure if the hot and cold running water has to be in the same room I would need to find out, some things may seem over the top but if you want to be registered at home then why not go over the top, to keep every body happy.

Regards
Tony

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Hello all,

Just wondering what is required to obtain a license?

I am hung up on the fact that the authority needs proof of training, can the license be obtained without it, as long as you satisfy the health & safety aspect a

Just curious?

Thanks
Steve

Hi Steve,

as Ben mentioned, this is something I am going through currently to get my registration (hopefully anyway!!). All councils have their own take/interpretation of the 'rules' - so it very much depends upon the area in which you live. I have spoken now to 4 different councils and it has amazed me just how their interpretations vary - and also costs!
eg. Sunderland city council charges *£73 premises and *£30 for personal!
Mine charges *£330/*£70!!! (Just my luck!)

Also it is more about H&S than anything else. There are no formal tattooing qualifications currently (Tho' watch this space ;)).... You have to have a dedicated space - specific to the use - i.e. a room which is not used for any other activity within the house. It must have washable walls (painted with say a silk emulsion), washable floor covering, all surfaces/furniture must be easily washed down (PVC). You MUST have at least 1 sink in the room - some councils insist on 2, and there must be a bathroom/wc which is accessible for the client for their personal hygiene. You must also have another sink area for washing equipment (I have a utility room) - and my H&S officer has said she'd accept that.

I am using all disposables - needles/grips/tips - so don't need an autoclave.
You must have a contract for clinical waste - and use a sharps bin - also to be within your disposal contract. (I have quotes for *£5 month for 1 large bag and *£40 year for 2 x sharps bins - so it's 'do able').
Although not a legal requirement they ask you to have Public Liability Insurance.
You must have a first aid kit - tho' they haven't specified to be first aid qualified.

Beyond all that, I think it's a lot about how you present yourself - your own personal hygiene - record keeping - accident book - a H&S handbook, client records/files to be kept locked away for compliance with client confidentiality......

She did ask how long I'd been tattooing - although she also said there is no legal requirement & acknowledged there are no official qualifications for tattooing - so they can't enforce this point.

If there's anything more you need to know - just ask!:cool:

Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink
Premium
First Name
Steve Morris
Brilliant stuff,

We have our house on the market so i will only be able to go through the license when we move.

Excellent advice, thanks

Steve

Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink
Premium
First Name
Steve Morris
I have just obtained a quote for public liability insurance, see below. Very pleased with the price

Thank you for requesting a quotation for liability insurance for tattoo artists. There are two covers available to you, general liability insurance, including public liability and any employers liability cover, and treatment risks cover. You may select either policy or both to suit your requirements

Please call Ms Karen Sparrow on 01270 767327 to discuss.

General Liability Insurance (excluding treatment risks)

Total Payable including Tax and Broker Fees
*£280.30

Public Liability Limit of Indemnity
*£2,000,000

Employers Liability *£10,000,000
Yes

Business Description
Tattoo Artist

Important Documents
Summary of Cover

Policy Wording

Blackfriars Initial Disclosure Document

Principals

Employees

Excess
*£250

Endorsements Applying
HW1, EP9, EP12, EP14

Please see the policy document for full details of these endorsements.

Insurer
Tradewise Insurance Company

*Please check the details of the quotation to confirm that it meets with your requirements

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
Most councils state a non porous flooring. Would laminate pass, or would i have to cover mine with those vinyl floor tiles? Just curious if anyone has asked the question.

Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink
Premium
First Name
Steve Morris
laminate is ok with our council or so i am told by a mate who is licensed

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Hi all,

laminate was actually the suggestion made by the H&S guy when we were chatting the other day. The surface has to be smooth - some vinyl flooring has grooves in the design - and that isn't acceptable (in my area anyway) apparently! :rolleyes:

Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink
Premium
First Name
Steve Morris
Getting Certified, Help Needed...

Hi all,

I am looking at getting the local authority health cert for tattooing. I am thinking about using my 12ft x 12ft conservatory as a studio, any help or advice would be very welcome. I have read and re read the local authority guide lines but i wanted to get a feel from someone who has gone through it

Cheers
Steve

akka

Premium
First Name
Ben
Re: Getting Certified, Help Needed...

hey steve i dont know mutch about it personally but i do know thers a couple of members on here that have done it reacently so hopefully theyl be able to shed some light on the subject

Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink
Premium
First Name
Steve Morris

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony

Most of it is common sense, the room must only be used for tattooing and nothing els, they will like to see floor covering, or anything with a washable surface, not carpet, use blinds instead of curtains, any chairs or beds you use must be washable, you will probably need two sinks plumbed in, a very important thing is, if they ask you to do something,do what they ask, don't try to do something different thinking it will do, and no matter how friendly they may seem they are not going to become you next best friend, it's just a job to them.
regards
Tony

Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink
Premium
First Name
Steve Morris
Thanks Tony,

That rules out the conservatory then! as we use it

Ah well

ASH13

Basic
First Name
TWM
OK, this is what the first tattooist I ever talked to said...

He had to take a 6 week class that was mostly about cross contamination and shit like that. Said it had nothing to do with art and that anyone without any training/knowledge of art could get the license. This is in the US.

inkstar

Premium
First Name
OG
OK, this is what the first tattooist I ever talked to said...

He had to take a 6 week class that was mostly about cross contamination and shit like that. Said it had nothing to do with art and that anyone without any training/knowledge of art could get the license. This is in the US.
yip thats right and update skills once every two years in nz ,yes it has nothing to do with art but art helps if your a tattooist in a trade were you draw for a living the knowledge of cross contamination and bugs is a must i did 12mths of my 5 year apprenticeship cleaning the shop,machines and gear ,making needles etc, i didnt even get to touch skin with a machine an till the 2nd year ,stopping cross contamination is just comman sense