Linework, Pale and Weak.

erin

Basic
First Name
Erin
I've been doin a couple tattoos on myseld, and the husband, but my lines are really weak and faint. Is the needle to shallow in the skin? and Ive been using volts at-8? i tried turning the voltage up, but it doesnt make to much difference. If i go over it again some time later it starts to darken up, but i just cant figure out what im doing wrong.

Remove Ads

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
I've been doin a couple tattoos on myseld, and the husband, but my lines are really weak and faint. Is the needle to shallow in the skin? and Ive been using volts at-8? i tried turning the voltage up, but it doesnt make to much difference. If i go over it again some time later it starts to darken up, but i just cant figure out what im doing wrong.
Hi Erin

Firstly check that your machine is correctly set up and tuned for a liner. Set your needle so that it penetrates the skin to a depth of 2mm max, so that when you run your machine the needle is 2mm from the tip, doing it this way you can be sure that you are at the correct depth if you insert the needle upto the tip. Make sure you don't work too quickly and most importantly make sure that you really stretch the skin, this is often the cause in my experience of weak lines. Try practicing on pig skin first using different size needles and settings. I had the same problem for a while but after a couple of hours experimenting on pig skin I soon figured it out.
Hope this helps.
Pat:icon_biggrin:

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
what ink are you , if it is the ink that comes with a kit, some of it can be really poor, you are best buying a better make of ink, also use at least a 5 round needle for your outlining.

regards
Tony

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
slow and steady is the way! If you pull the needle through the skin too fast, your line work will be weak and inconsistent. :icon_wink:

jessamoulin

Premium
First Name
Jessa Moulin
I am having the same problem, but strangely only on myself. I tried first with a 3R, but the piece was too big to have used such a small needle (4"x3"), so I went over again with a 7R, and changed ink from Mickey Sharpz to something I'm getting from a local distributor. All the other (5 or so) tattoos I have done have held quite well. I know I have a light touch, it comes from being a beginner and working with ladies who taught me not to go as deep.

Another thing I think is that I have extremely dry eczema prone skin. My ink in my other tattoos has lightened with time. I chose an area that is eczema free, but it dries out really fast, I also used a tattoo ointment both times that maybe pulled the ink out along with the fact that I bathe instead of shower due to my skin condition (but when I have healing work i just leave it out of the bath and not soak it...). It's a shame cause it hurts like hell to tattoo myself and concentrate, and it looks as though I'll have to have another go when I do the shading finally, but even then I'm worried it won't hold. I didn't know if I should start a new topic for this or what? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Hkdupcivic

Premium
First Name
Brian
I had the same problem when I started... you gotta remember its not a pencil that's constantly touching the surface...take it slower. Try this... make sure it takes you about 3 seconds to do 1inch or so then take a look and work your way from there. Hope this helps

daveb

Basic
First Name
Dave
Please tell me you have done lots of practise on fruit or practise skin first?....Am not wishing to sound rude but how well do you understand the workings of a tattoo machine?...giving advice to someone whos first post is asking how to tattoo themselves or husband is not helping you if you dont already have enough experience and understanding of the whole tattoo process and the machines....turning up the voltage means nothing iof the machines are not set up correctly in the first place...please dont take this the wrong way but what experience have you had with practise skin or fruit?...what machine are you using?....what needle grouping are you using?.....what ink etc etc ...you ask what may to you appear a simple question but its impossible to answer correctly without first understanding more about your equipment and experience.....taking a guess at what your problem is may only exasperate or compound your problems more!