December drawing contest now active! Here

Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Looking for a new tattoo machine.. Any help?

Jay

Basic
Hi, ive recently started tattooing in a studio :)
My problem now is finding some new machines.. As i dont feel mine are good enough anymore..
My "mentor / boss" said you have got to buy what you feel comfortable with.
His personal machines are years old and he said they only cost him a few bob..
The ones that im using at the mo are aprox a year old.. i brought them cheap off the net to start with.. they are ok but very heavy and noisy!
I guess what im looking for is a light weight machine what runs smooth..
Any ideas?

Remove Ads Close

mhtwmwmw

Premium
try Hildabrandt thats what I use and they dont cost the earth!
but i think they are very good!

First Name
Ian
micky sharpz

try micky sharpz tattoo supplies i just bought the
Line-O-Graph Tattoo Machine - Liner

only used it a couple of times but it seems ok and produces some good lines

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Any recommendations for a good light weight shader?

I have linked to this thread 'cos I thought it may have some good suggestions - but nothing really jumping out....

Any ideas guys?

I would prefer something not too heavy - the shader I have (photos in my albums) is really heavy, noisy (like a garden strimmer) and very temperamental! Time to upgrade I think....

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
IMG_0079.jpg IMG_0080.jpg I use Mickey bee, nice and small and I can use them all day without them getting hot and don't find them heavy at all but they are not cheep, about *£170 each, I also made one up from buying new parts from ebay, it cost me *£22 to build and is not as heavy as my Mickey bee's, the good thing about building your own is you can build it to your personal liking, the one on the left is the cheep one but I still think it looks the part and it does the job with ease.

regards
Tony

Daz

Premium
First Name
Darren

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
I have linked to this thread 'cos I thought it may have some good suggestions - but nothing really jumping out....

Any ideas guys?

I would prefer something not too heavy - the shader I have (photos in my albums) is really heavy, noisy (like a garden strimmer) and very temperamental! Time to upgrade I think....
Hey dawn,
have a look at these.....http://www.maniatattoosupplies.com/machines.htm

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Cheers Mark,
have sent them an email about the MT shader in brass - certainly looks a very nice machine, but really wanting something light. Is this a machine/make you have bought?
Hi dawn,
i haven't used these machines,but my wife wants to buy me a new one for my birthday,& i was thinking of getting one of these,they do look good. I think its just trial & error with buying machines,just try a few to see what works for you....what are you doing with the shader you have now ??are you gonna sell it ?;)

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Hi dawn,
i haven't used these machines,but my wife wants to buy me a new one for my birthday,& i was thinking of getting one of these,they do look good. I think its just trial & error with buying machines,just try a few to see what works for you....what are you doing with the shader you have now ??are you gonna sell it ?;)

No, think I'll just keep it as a spare as I only have one of each at moment. Some guys seem to have loads of different machines??!

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
No, think I'll just keep it as a spare as I only have one of each at moment. Some guys seem to have loads of different machines??!
ha ha,yeah i have eight...if your shader is not to your liking,why don't you change the coils on it...I'm thinking of building a few more machines,lol.:)

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
suppose I could have a try... just prefer to look and buy! Think building a machine is a 'man thing'? LOL!

barcode1973

Premium
First Name
Lee
I got one of these today

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200579043233&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It weighs 190 grams with tube and needle it sounds like a rotary machine compared to my old one! Came with extra arm bar for making it a shader

Got it delivered next day didn't run right at 8-9 volts rang the guy (card with all his contact details in box) who informed me it was around 10-11 volts and could go up to 13! can't wait till tomorrow when i'm doing a betty boop on my Nephew!

Asked him how much extra for 48hrs delivery when ordered and he did 24hrs for no extra cost.

With all the copys out there I was paranoid about a 2nd hand machine and i'm so glad I got that one.

Darren I too considered the Hoodlum machines as some of them looked nice but there is another post on here off someone who got one of them and said it was just a cheap machine repainted with a new contact screw and they were junk! Saved me *£60!

mon-tattoo

Basic
First Name
John
Light weight machine

suppose I could have a try... just prefer to look and buy! Think building a machine is a 'man thing'? LOL!
Hi Dawn, I suppose machine building is a man's thing.........so let me introduce my partner John he makes light weight tattoo machines with us women in mind...check out his machines at ebay
Item number: 200579043392

Made in mind for me...(being a small handed woman and wanting a light weight machine) and now only machines I will use in my studio........let me ken what you think.

amour

Basic
First Name
Jason
I have been looking for a good pro gun but struggling! looked on ebay but there is that much crap / coppies dont know where to start.

Has anyone used or heard of blade equipment?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330535596369

or hoodlum

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hoodlum-set-3-tattoo-machines-LINER-SHADER-PACKER-/220745075585?pt=UK_Health_Beauty_Tattoos_BodyArt_SM&hash=item33656e8b81

cheers

Hi Daz, i bought a Hoodlum Machine it certainly looks the part, and sounds the part i think it cost me 50 quid , Ive still got to test it out yet though, will let you know once ive tested how good it is

Cheers
Jason

schwartzy

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Rachel
Cheers Mark,
have sent them an email about the MT shader in brass - certainly looks a very nice machine, but really wanting something light. Is this a machine/make you have bought?
I recently bought the MT liner and shader and am really pleased with them. Been practicing on my leg with them and have done a touch up on a tattoo on a friend that I did a couple of months ago. Doing a new tattoo on another friend tomorrow with them, I'll post pics when it is done.

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
My new hoodlum liner and colour packer will be with me in the next couple of days, will post pics when they are here.

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
I was considering getting one of the Cheyenne Hawk machines according to all the reports and reviews on this and the cartridge needle system .it definatly seems to be one of the best on the marketThey are a bit pricey tho' but if you are tatting regular and being paid for it the cost should be recovered easily.www.cheyenne-tattoo.com

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
I was considering getting one of the Cheyenne Hawk machines according to all the reports and reviews on this and the cartridge needle system .it definatly seems to be one of the best on the marketThey are a bit pricey tho' but if you are tatting regular and being paid for it the cost should be recovered easily.www.cheyenne-tattoo.com

Hey Jim,

I would def recommend the Hawk - amazing - love it, love it, love it!!!

I have been using it every day for past 2 weeks solid, and it produces great results - much less painful on the client - and its nice and quiet. I cannot recommend it highly enough. (I am saving for another to have as a back up - could not bear to be without it now).

inkstar

Premium
First Name
OG
hi there
why dont you rebuild them ,new coils,springs,cut the frame back,drill out some of the steel and make them lighter
ive just fin rebuild some of mine and they are running good

Djones02021985

Premium
First Name
Daniel
[HR][/HR] I use hoodlum machines and they are the dogs danglies. Not the lightest machines but solid built. Proper work horses. Steve is amazing and will build whatever you ask for. You won't regret buying them. There is a bad review on here about hoodlum but the person is talking out their rear end and I think they've bought a cheap copy. Hope this helps anyone who's looking for new machines.

djtattem

Basic
First Name
david
if you want light weight, try damascus steel. the only fault i had with mine is the front binding post screw was plastic, so i swapped it out. but they run nice and always look sexy.

i also bought a chrome tattoo machine for $12. i bought it just for the frame. i replaced every single part and it runs like a champ. the chrome frame is actually my lightest machine.

i know youre not interested in building a machine but try nationaltattoosupply.com and look up titanium. this is the only site i could find a titanium tattoo machine frame. theyre extremely light weight and durable. im personally just buying the frame and having custom parts made but just a suggestion.

stealth1968

Basic
First Name
tony
Hi, ive recently started tattooing in a studio :)
My problem now is finding some new machines.. As i dont feel mine are good enough anymore..
My "mentor / boss" said you have got to buy what you feel comfortable with.
His personal machines are years old and he said they only cost him a few bob..
The ones that im using at the mo are aprox a year old.. i brought them cheap off the net to start with.. they are ok but very heavy and noisy!
I guess what im looking for is a light weight machine what runs smooth..
Any ideas?
where bouts are you jay ,,, got shedloads of machines try before you buy stigma hyper v2 , my fav

lamb of god

Premium
First Name
Sam
guys the post from jay is in 2010...his last post was in 2010 so pretty much he left the site lol

tatsyboomer

Basic
First Name
Bobby Stevens
Here's my breakdown of best machines based on price range...

ROTARIES:
$400-$600: Dragonfly, Stigma Hyper v3, Spektra
$300-$400: Bishop, Diablo Swiss
$200-$300: Diablo Kami, Neotat
$100-$200: Storm Rotary (both the a100 and a250 are awesome for price)

COILS ($300 and up):
Sunskin, Martini, FK irons, Seth Ciferri, Feldman, Dringenberg

Sylence

Premium
First Name
Stefan
Hey Booby u missed the German Evolution rotary . Its a powerfull insider :icon_mrgreen: . My 2 will arive in the next Days

mrtattootoyou

Banned
First Name
adam
Dringenberg are my weapon of choice a bit pricey to say the least but i'd be lost without mine such a beautiful machine and my god do they get the job done if youve got the cash to spend i would suggest them all the way and i do mean suggest other peeps might not agree but its down to yourself. hope you find what youre looking for soon :)

evil_ink

Basic
First Name
ryan
bishop are amazing and cheyenne and work horse irons are getting up there as well just its more of what your looking for caause you can take any machine and make it your own and change it all around