December drawing contest now active! Here

Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Lost with apprenticeships and courses

Irisnawer

Basic
First Name
Iris
Hi everybody!

My apologies if this is not the best place to post this, I couldn't find any other thread related ^^u
It's been almost 2 years since I started tattooing (just friends and fake skin) but lately I got more into it because tattooing is something that I really love. I have a really good job atm that allows me to pay my bills with no problem so the fact of leaving it to start an apprenticeship in a tattoo studio scares me a lot. I know this is the really good way to improve skills and learn about this world. Does anybody know if it's possible to have a kind of part-time apprenticeship? Or if somebody was in my same position, which options did you have?

Another thing I would like to have advise with is the online courses, I've found several ones but the reviews are never too good and some of them are a bit expensive so I don't want to waste my money and time. Any recommendations on courses?

Sorry for the big text and thank you so much in advance for the help :)

Remove Ads Close

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
First off, stay away from the many fast track courses, they just dont work, dont offer value for money, too costly, anything between £1,500 and £6,000, ok for an insight but that's it.

I worked full time and tattooed part time at home completely self taught, yes you can self teach but it does take a lot, lot longer, probably 4 times longer but you need to be in contact with places like this group for help guidance and advise, there are many people who do give bad or incorrect advice and only advising on what they've heard previously and not practised, you tube is full of rubbish, bad information and the blind leading the blind, you have to decide for yourself who is full of rubbish.

There are part time opportunities about, our shop trainee works 3 days a week in our studio and the rest of the week at Tesco, she joined us in June, never tattooed before and is now licensed and tattooing basic designs on paying customers, she hasnt built up a good enough customer base yet to warrant giving up her proper paid job, perhaps in another 12 months time.

You can speed up the learning process by spending time with some one who can already tattoo, that way they can Identify and eliminate any problems and stop you picking up bad habits, there are a couple of facebook groups which are ok but again you need to weed out the bad advice.

Irisnawer

Basic
First Name
Iris
First off, stay away from the many fast track courses, they just dont work, dont offer value for money, too costly, anything between £1,500 and £6,000, ok for an insight but that's it.

I worked full time and tattooed part time at home completely self taught, yes you can self teach but it does take a lot, lot longer, probably 4 times longer but you need to be in contact with places like this group for help guidance and advise, there are many people who do give bad or incorrect advice and only advising on what they've heard previously and not practised, you tube is full of rubbish, bad information and the blind leading the blind, you have to decide for yourself who is full of rubbish.

There are part time opportunities about, our shop trainee works 3 days a week in our studio and the rest of the week at Tesco, she joined us in June, never tattooed before and is now licensed and tattooing basic designs on paying customers, she hasnt built up a good enough customer base yet to warrant giving up her proper paid job, perhaps in another 12 months time.

You can speed up the learning process by spending time with some one who can already tattoo, that way they can Identify and eliminate any problems and stop you picking up bad habits, there are a couple of facebook groups which are ok but again you need to weed out the bad advice.

Hi Andy, thank you so much for your reply.

I really appreciate your advice regarding the 'rubbish' you can find when you try to follow tutorials or tips online. I need to admit that it's actually pretty difficult because I have no formal tattoo formation and sometimes you don't really know if what you find there is trustful or not. However, I'm trying to always follow videos from people who I can see they own a tattoo studio or they have huge experience with it.

It would be great if you could point me to these Fb groups or give me the tittles of the books :)

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help!

Revenge

Premium Plus
First Name
Kat
I work fulltime, and do an aprentiship part time.

From sunday to thursday i work in main job. Then friday to saturday i work in the shop/sit in on sessions.

Ultimately what works for you will have to be discussed and set up. What i used to do when i started was 9-5 the full time job. 530-8pm the studio, every single day. And then on the days off more time in the studio, homework from the studio/practicing/etc or appointments.

Its a grind. You will burn out eventually. But keeping the day job lets me Have the studio as pure fun. Pure enjoyment. Without worying over bills if a client doesn't show or cancels.

What works for me now is Sunday to thursday 1 job. The friday morning i have appointments. And stand in and watch from 4-8pm in the studio. Saturday i watch 11am-3pm and tattoo after.

If demand increases ill drop a day at the main job, but so far im only booked a month in advance with a lot of wiggle room so this works out good. Allows me to plan and draw and prepare during the week or get human things done.

I'm lucky that the gentlemen i apprentice is very flexable, but you'll never know till you talk to people. Ultimately the time i put in here will go to working for his shop and the more i can get in the better for the shop. But for now while I'm learning this is good. Ultimately keep in mind that the shop you apprentice needs to know it will be worth their time to teach you. What will you bring to the shop?

Irisnawer

Basic
First Name
Iris
I work fulltime, and do an aprentiship part time.

From sunday to thursday i work in main job. Then friday to saturday i work in the shop/sit in on sessions.

Ultimately what works for you will have to be discussed and set up. What i used to do when i started was 9-5 the full time job. 530-8pm the studio, every single day. And then on the days off more time in the studio, homework from the studio/practicing/etc or appointments.

Its a grind. You will burn out eventually. But keeping the day job lets me Have the studio as pure fun. Pure enjoyment. Without worying over bills if a client doesn't show or cancels.

What works for me now is Sunday to thursday 1 job. The friday morning i have appointments. And stand in and watch from 4-8pm in the studio. Saturday i watch 11am-3pm and tattoo after.

If demand increases ill drop a day at the main job, but so far im only booked a month in advance with a lot of wiggle room so this works out good. Allows me to plan and draw and prepare during the week or get human things done.

I'm lucky that the gentlemen i apprentice is very flexable, but you'll never know till you talk to people. Ultimately the time i put in here will go to working for his shop and the more i can get in the better for the shop. But for now while I'm learning this is good. Ultimately keep in mind that the shop you apprentice needs to know it will be worth their time to teach you. What will you bring to the shop?

Hi Kat! Thank you so much for your message.

It's so good to see you can keep both things at the same time and to see that some tattoo shop owners are flexible with it. I want to improve a little bit and also get a better portfolio but I'm going to try to become an apprentice asap.

Could you please tell me how did it begin? Did you see the apprenticeship offer or were you asking in the own shops? I'm still a little bit lost with it.

Again, thank you so much guys for all your help, this forum is helping me a lot with all my concerns :)

Dazza

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Daryl
You need to get a good portfolio of your drawings and designs and then go and pester all,the tattoo shops in your area ,but do your home work,and try choosing a good friendly shop with good artists and then just sell yourself 🙂

Irisnawer

Basic
First Name
Iris
You need to get a good portfolio of your drawings and designs and then go and pester all,the tattoo shops in your area ,but do your home work,and try choosing a good friendly shop with good artists and then just sell yourself 🙂

Thanks for the advice! I have few designs in traditional and now I'm trying to get more in digital as I want to show I can work with both things. As soon as I feel confident with my work, I'm going to check if I can find any part-time apprenticeship in my town...wish me luck! :)

Revenge

Premium Plus
First Name
Kat
Hi Kat! Thank you so much for your message.

It's so good to see you can keep both things at the same time and to see that some tattoo shop owners are flexible with it. I want to improve a little bit and also get a better portfolio but I'm going to try to become an apprentice asap.

Could you please tell me how did it begin? Did you see the apprenticeship offer or were you asking in the own shops? I'm still a little bit lost with it.

Again, thank you so much guys for all your help, this forum is helping me a lot with all my concerns :)
I've sat in on sessions here and there to get a feel for the artist, to see if we mesh and if i like their skill, atmosphere, and shop. I've been fortunate to tag along on friends sessions. My story is a little unusual, and i pack around a small digital portfolio on my phone. I was offered an apprenticeship after a small show and tell after a session i sat in on about 4-5 years ago. He wanted to expand his shop. His personality is someone who loves to see others works as it inspires him, and he loves to see the improvement. So i am fortunate with this.
I didn't take it.
I pursued a different career path in the full time i was in at the time and they fucked me hard.
Needless to say, things changed and i me someone who had the same interests in tattooing, art, life, etc. In a bid to help them achieve their goals (the were shy about asking for an apprentiship) i packed their art so they had no choice, brought them along. Walked into the shop and asked if he was still looking for apprentices. I'm a tag along, and was too shy to do it alone all those years ago. But we got the opportunity together. After the client we had a mini exam. He held out his arms and told us to draw a tattoo. (Tells you loads of where someone's at. Bad stretch and you get .... lines, when the pen bounces off the skin, get to see how pressure is handled etc.)

Timing started whenever we were free, and later progressed to specific days.

Driley

Basic
First Name
Dianne
I apprentice part-time. I started as a part time receptionist at a shop and less than a year later I’m officially an apprentice. I still get to keep my job, stay in art school, and apprentice when I can. They’re really very kind people though above and beyond the norm.

Irisnawer

Basic
First Name
Iris
Wowww, I'm so glad to see you all had really good experiences with your apprenticeships :)

I hope I can find someone as good and understandable who is fine with a part-time apprenticeship. I need to work a little bit more on my portfolio but I feel ready, I'll go for it! Wish me luck haha