Machine Running Hot

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
Ive just been having a play on the old piggy, and after around 40mins, the frame was red hot!
Any ideas on what may be causing this? Surely its not just the heat of the coils passing through the screws, or is it?
Its a Glyn Flew liner, and i dont really get any other machine running as hot as this.
Any ideas? :icon_neutral:

Remove Ads

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Hi,it sounds like there is a fault with the machine,contact the seller !!!

malagaspike

Premium
First Name
Nigel
Hi Glyn Flew make good machines so yeh i would contact them for advice , i had a mickey Bee also a good make but thats playing up now too. My only reliable machine out of about 9 is a Spaulding & Rogers never let me down , but to be honest i am now switching to the Cheyenne Hawk rotary system , sick of wasting money ,tweeking ,adjusting setting up and worrying about settings . Maybe seem a bit expensive but this is our main tool for work so its not really , and i think this is definatly the way to go.

maggot

Premium
Media
First Name
colin
i have a glyn flew shader and it runs at around 8 volts so 9.5 seems a bit much but i would contact him and see

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
I have had 4 Glynn Flew machines and what I did find is the machines are not preset it is down to the tattooist to set it the way he or she likes to line etc, I spoke to Glynn about this a few years ago and he confirmed it so.....

I would say check the contact gap and adjust it for what ever you are using it for, short throw liner, long throw liner, shader or colour packer, sometimes springs need to be changed as well to get the desired result, coils can get hot with poorly adjusted machines or poor coils but I do know Glynns coils are good.

What machine do you have, do you have a picture of the coil side of it?

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
I have contacted Glyn with the symptoms, and he says it must be a coil malfunction if it is passing so much heat through the frame, so i sent it back this morning.
Great bloke aswell. If i paid the postage both ways, he would stand the repair.

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
Fantastic bloke!
I have just recieved my machine back, and he has replaced the coils free of charge, and as a bonus sent the old coils aswell. I am doing the Beckham style Angel tattoo on someones back later, so i can give it a whirl. :icon_cheesygrin:

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
Hope it is all sorted for you, I had a problem recently and noticed my machine was taking 1 amp at 7 volts and the frame got hot, I did some mods and got it down to 0.3 amps which is more normal to me, just need to test it on skin now.

Does anyone have an old DTS catalogue, I am trying to find some info on a machine I have, it is a stainless steel bulldog frame with DTS stamped on the frame, it is another non working machine I picked up and repaired and is now my favourite liner, I did have a catalogue but slung it when I moved house a couple of years ago.

INKBender

Premium
First Name
Eric
You need to tune your duty cycle to close 50 percent as posible or your machine will get hot and over heat. Thats why we monitor Duty Cycles.

torifgarder

Basic
First Name
torif
It may be due to voltage fluctuation in the electric supply. It is generally myth that tattoo machine run better at the lower voltage but this is not true. You should check the tuning of contact screw. It would be better that you should talk with an expert.

troub1edsou1z

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Tom
It may be due to voltage fluctuation in the electric supply. It is generally myth that tattoo machine run better at the lower voltage but this is not true. You should check the tuning of contact screw. It would be better that you should talk with an expert.
first off, this thread is a year old, second, please dont post things if your un-sure. to clear this up; its not a myth. running a machine at lower volts will let the machine run cooler.

Djones02021985

Premium
First Name
Daniel
Don't know why everyone so hung up on duty cycles these days. Sum of the world's best tattooists throughout the ages have never seen a duty cycle reading. Sound and touch is always better than a computer telling you. If you know how a machine should run then you can feel when it's right and wrong. I don't need a computer to tell me how to drive my car and same goes for my machines. If you have a supply with duty cycle then by all means have a look but don't take it as set in stone.

INKBender

Premium
First Name
Eric
Don't know why everyone so hung up on duty cycles these days. Sum of the world's best tattooists throughout the ages have never seen a duty cycle reading. Sound and touch is always better than a computer telling you. If you know how a machine should run then you can feel when it's right and wrong. I don't need a computer to tell me how to drive my car and same goes for my machines. If you have a supply with duty cycle then by all means have a look but don't take it as set in stone.

I have always looked at my spring from the side in the light to tell if the down time and up time are the about the same. Didn't need a read out. But if your spring is 58% of the time on the up and 42% of the time on the bottom, then your coils are working harder because the power is on more than it is off. So I do depend on cycles. I try to get the hang time I need to run slower while keeping the duty cycle close to 50% as I can. In return I save my coils and my machines don't get hot.