P Machine Springs

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
Can anybody explain why there are so many different front and back springs available. I need to buy some and haven't a clue what to use. There seem to be lots of different guages and sizes, colours etc. I even noticed that some come in flat packs and you have to bend them yourself. Any advice will be much appreciated.

:confused:

MrSpoon

Premium
First Name
Darren
i think the thicker the spring, more power will be needed and the faster the machine will run (liner), and so lower guage springs the slower the machine will run (shader)

from what i've read i think these would be suitable..

liner = 20/18

shader = 16

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
Thanks for that info. I think I will order one of the sets that are advertised and play around with them.

Chamberzezz

Premium
First Name
Ailin
This is something I really need to get my head round too. I agree that it's all very confusing. Is there a good place to read up on some information? How do you know how far to bend the spring? and what with? Also how do you know when the spring needs replacing?

Cheers

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
to bend the spings you need the "jig" for it, im not 100% on the spring sizes so wont comment on that at this time but can find out for you, also youl need to change the front spring when it burns through were it hit the contact screw which should take a while

Chamberzezz

Premium
First Name
Ailin
to bend the spings you need the "jig" for it, im not 100% on the spring sizes so wont comment on that at this time but can find out for you, also youl need to change the front spring when it burns through were it hit the contact screw which should take a while
Just to check. Is this what you mean? Looks very handy indeed.

http://www.barberdts.co.uk/jig-to-fold-spring.html

Are all the springs, shader, Liner etc have the same angle of the bend? If that makes sense..

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
Just to check. Is this what you mean? Looks very handy indeed.

http://www.barberdts.co.uk/jig-to-fold-spring.html

Are all the springs, shader, Liner etc have the same angle of the bend? If that makes sense..
yea thats the jigs ;) you can flod the sping with that and aline it properly on the armeture bar u can then get another "jig" to aline the whole rmeture bar setup positioned correct on the machine -but to to this part i use a regular s/s backstem an alingn it by pressing the arm bar down and positioning the armeture bar nipple centre of the backstem tube ;) hope this helps ;)

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
short stroke liner = 0.019 front spring-0.018 rear spring. light armature bar.
long stroke liner = 0.020 front spring-0.019 rear spring. light armature bar.
shader = 0.016 front spring-0.017 rear spring. medium armature bar.
colour packer = 0.015 front spring-0.016 rear spring. heavy armature bar.

This is only a guide...we all have our own personal preferences :icon_cheesygrin:
Also,most front springs can be purchased pre bent,so you don't need to worry about bending them.
Hope this helps,have a look here. http://www.shorehamsred.co.uk/page3.html

Chamberzezz

Premium
First Name
Ailin
short stroke liner = 0.019 front spring-0.018 rear spring. light armature bar.
long stroke liner = 0.020 front spring-0.019 rear spring. light armature bar.
shader = 0.016 front spring-0.017 rear spring. medium armature bar.
colour packer = 0.015 front spring-0.016 rear spring. heavy armature bar.

This is only a guide...we all have our own personal preferences :icon_cheesygrin:
Also,most front springs can be purchased pre bent,so you don't need to worry about bending them.
Hope this helps,have a look here. http://www.shorehamsred.co.uk/page3.html
Now thats a new thing to me. Long stroke, short stroke? I'm assuming colour packer is for colouring.. would a shader still work as a colour blend? Sorry both of those last two questions probably just made me sound like a complete plank for asking that but I need to be sure :)

Thanks for the link...

Last edited:

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
Now thats a new thing to me. Long stroke, short stroke? I'm assuming colour packer is for colouring.. would a shader still work as a colour blend? Sorry both of those last two questions probably just made me sound like a complete plank for asking that but I need to be sure :)

Thanks for the link...
hi ok long stroke,, more than a 2mm gap between the contact screw and front spring, short stoke= bit less than 2mm

colour packer is setup to run with a harder punch and dont blend colours as well as a "shader" would
in short a colour packer for packing in solid colour
shader can be used for colour inks or black and grey washes and nice sort tones can be ahcheived from a shader ;) hope this helps but if u have more Qs ask away ;)

Chamberzezz

Premium
First Name
Ailin
hi ok long stroke,, more than a 2mm gap between the contact screw and front spring, short stoke= bit less than 2mm

colour packer is setup to run with a harder punch and dont blend colours as well as a "shader" would
in short a colour packer for packing in solid colour
shader can be used for colour inks or black and grey washes and nice sort tones can be ahcheived from a shader ;) hope this helps but if u have more Qs ask away ;)
Ha, yeah i think I have one more. Long stroke and short stroke, are these used for anything in particular? a Technique? Or are they just a way of working for some people. Am thinking on the whole 2mm depth thing...

Thanks

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
Ha, yeah i think I have one more. Long stroke and short stroke, are these used for anything in particular? a Technique? Or are they just a way of working for some people. Am thinking on the whole 2mm depth thing...

Thanks
thats 2!! :p
not that im aware of it beeing used for a perticular technique im not sure they may well be but ive not discoverd it yet myself, as far as im aware and maybe wrong, long and short stroke is just kind of personal prefrence on how the machine is setup but idealy do the same job ;)

Chamberzezz

Premium
First Name
Ailin
thats 2!! :p
not that im aware of it beeing used for a perticular technique im not sure they may well be but ive not discoverd it yet myself, as far as im aware and maybe wrong, long and short stroke is just kind of personal prefrence on how the machine is setup but idealy do the same job ;)
Cool thanks. Oh Yeah, that was 2 not the 1... anyway, No more questions your honor. :)

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
Cool thanks. Oh Yeah, that was 2 not the 1... anyway, No more questions your honor. :)
hahah its cool ;) if you have any more Qs im more than happy to try and anser it for you along with alot of other great members ;) dont be shy ;) drop a mssg on the live chat also theres a great bunch on there no 1 bites and you get instant ansers and can ask pritty much ask anything tattoo related or just a good old freidly chat ;)