P -martins- tattoos

-martin-

Premium Plus
First Name
Martin
Making a new thread for my tattoos on human skin and start off by showing two I did on my wife recently :)

IMG_0742.jpg

The lining is getting better but some inconsistencies in speed still show and circles are hard :LOL: but I think I'm able to fix some errors when healed. And some red needs filling in.
The mini Totoro will get some colour/shading once I've bought the right colours.

Needles used
9rl - tight long taper
7cm

7.5 volts

Rose approx 2h
Soot/totoro approx 1.25h

Last edited:

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Looking good! Mini totoro - isn't that Mumin and Stinky? :unsure:

-martin-

Premium Plus
First Name
Martin
Looking good! Mini Totoro - isn't that Mumin and Stinky? :unsure:
Haha, several people that thought the same thing :p

It's the mini Totoro from the movie "My neighbour Totoro"

And a soot sprite from "Spirited Away"

EDIT::
But now that I think about it, I believe the soot sprites are in both movies :p

Skasha

Premium
First Name
Sharon
I love the soot sprite 😍 studio ghibli films are amazing

Skasha

Premium
First Name
Sharon
Yes, its an amazing one, I love kikis delivery service and the cat returns but I think Howl's moving castle is my favourite ❤

-martin-

Premium Plus
First Name
Martin
Made an African queen for my brother a couple of weeks ago, will fill it in with some skin tones later.
Loosely based on traditional Ethiopian art.

Quite shaky lines though and it didn't help that he twitched, A LOT :p any ideas how to work around that/minimize the effects in the future? he wants to have some more all around his ankle? ^_^

66019201_683536035407771_4705159002302971904_n.jpg

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Tie him or knock him out, that's always the most effective 😉

Looks nice to me! Yeah, a bit shaky lines, but nothing that bad. I'm not an expert on lines, but to me it looks like you have inconsistent depth and that causes the most of the "unevenness" 🙂 Will look good when skin tone is added 👍🏼

Dazza

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Daryl
What are you lot talking about ,kids cartoons ?

-martin-

Premium Plus
First Name
Martin
Tie him or knock him out, that's always the most effective 😉

Looks nice to me! Yeah, a bit shaky lines, but nothing that bad. I'm not an expert on lines, but to me it looks like you have inconsistent depth and that causes the most of the "unevenness" 🙂 Will look good when skin tone is added 👍🏼
Haha! I guess I'll have to do that. :ROFLMAO:

Yes, depth is haunting me, currently practising riding the needle, on this tattoo I rode the tube though. Hopefully I will get the hang of it soon :p I think it can help to get cleaner lines.

Here's another one I did the same day on my nephew (really goo to have a lot of willing canvas when the practice skin is full :p)
Similar issues with depth/speed getting inconsistent lines, however, straight lines are at least getting better (small victories :D)
Shading is still a bit hard, used an 11rs here to get into the small angles. should probably have filled them with black and then used the 7cm to get the fade instead.

66241863_299868820778745_425406915711860736_n.jpg

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Haha! I guess I'll have to do that. :ROFLMAO:

Yes, depth is haunting me, currently practising riding the needle, on this tattoo I rode the tube though. Hopefully I will get the hang of it soon :p I think it can help to get cleaner lines.

Here's another one I did the same day on my nephew (really goo to have a lot of willing canvas when the practice skin is full :p)
Similar issues with depth/speed getting inconsistent lines, however, straight lines are at least getting better (small victories :D)
Shading is still a bit hard, used an 11rs here to get into the small angles. should probably have filled them with black and then used the 7cm to get the fade instead.

View attachment 21725
Did you use a 11rs to get in the small angles?? 😱 Sounds awfully big to me 🤔 Yes, straight lines, definitely a victory succeeding with that 😃 On photo it looks like you've gotten some blow outs - but maybe it's only the photo?

Also shading looks like it has lines in it. Hard to say what would have been best to do, so much a matter of personal preference. Shading with a curved mag is usually what I prefer though.

Me16363

Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Shaun
I agree, shading with a 7cm would have been better for getting in there. Definitely a couple of blowouts but I really like the tattoo 👍🏻

-martin-

Premium Plus
First Name
Martin
Skärmavbild 2019-10-25 kl. 10.20.34.png Skärmavbild 2019-10-25 kl. 10.24.23.png
Second attempt with riding the needle on real skin (my wife being the canvas), turned out better then I anticipated :p
Though the crooked text bothers me a bit, need to practice that A LOT more, I have shitty handwriting overall :ROFLMAO:

I feel like I could've faster hand movements and still have the same line thickness/quality and the color went in better compared to when I've ridden the tube, not sure why. Whipping and fading was much easier as well. Anyone with insight to this? ^_^

Oh and for you non swedes the text means "FUCK" or "FUCKING", we have 5 kids so I guess it's valid ;)

EDIT:
Needles used:
9RLT
7CM

About 7 volts for both lining and shading

Eternal inks:
Myke chanmbers redd cross
Lining black
Bermuda blue

Approx. 1hr

RustDeamon

Premium
First Name
Erick
tip for text, if you know your handwriting suck (mine sucks rocks so I feel you) always use a stencil of the text then you're tracing not writing, it really will make all the difference in the world.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
That was a charming tattoo 😍 It's funny, if you wouldn't have told what the script means, no one would have known. Except for us swedes 😊

So you did the script free hand??? Crazy! In that case the result was very good! And I actually like that it's not so perfect. DIY style.

The only thing that bothers me a little is that the left line pig the heart doesn't match above and beneath the banner. It does on your drawing though. But now I'm picky!!

I have no idea about the difference riding the tube vs the needle, I've never ridden the tube.

-martin-

Premium Plus
First Name
Martin
tip for text, if you know your handwriting suck (mine sucks rocks so I feel you) always use a stencil of the text then you're tracing not writing, it really will make all the difference in the world.
I know, this was rather unplanned, but typography is fun so can't go wrong practicing some freehanding as well ^_^

That was a charming tattoo 😍 It's funny, if you wouldn't have told what the script means, no one would have known. Except for us swedes 😊
Haha yes, the kids giggled when they saw it :p

So you did the script free hand??? Crazy! In that case the result was very good! And I actually like that it's not so perfect. DIY style.
Thanks, yes I freehanded the text, but hard to keep a consistent baseline that way as one can see ^_^

The only thing that bothers me a little is that the left line pig the heart doesn't match above and beneath the banner. It does on your drawing though. But now I'm picky!!
Yes, I saw that afterwards too 🙈

troub1edsou1z

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Tom
Nice solid line work on the rose, just need to work on consistency. The red is packed in nice and solid also....good job!!

-martin-

Premium Plus
First Name
Martin
Long time no see :p
I've been focusing on snowboarding this winter so not much energy left for tattooing, but now that the lifts are closed I picked it up again ^_^
The liner tuning I made really helped but will try to make it a bit faster still or buy a new one. :p

Got feeling yesterday and made two tattoos on my wife. Really happy with the tooth, looks better irl than on the pic. ;)
The match has some wonky lines in the flames and a save at the bottom (the ticker lines) maybe I go over them again when healed and make them a tad fatter.

IMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

Edit:: forgot to add
Used a 7RL for the lines and a 7CM/ 11RS for color/shading

Time about 30-40 mins each.

Last edited:

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
welcome back...nice work. Your wife and I have matching tattoos now (the tooth) :)

-martin-

Premium Plus
First Name
Martin
Skärmavbild 2020-05-01 kl. 20.48.57.png Skärmavbild 2020-05-01 kl. 20.49.07.png

Made this on my leg an hour ago. The kids will each draw one tattoo for me, instead of writing their names :p
This one is Mio 6 years design. Kinda rushed it for some reason so lines aren't that great but in par with the original so doesn't bother me much
Another thing I see now is that I should have flipped the colors so the highlight is on the left side, but this way was easier due to the position.

7rl @ 8 volts
11rs @ 8,5 volts
~20 mins

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Lovely!! Looove these kids drawings for tattoos! 😍 Agree about highlights 👍🏼

You can always colour the highlights and make highlights with white (or such) on the other side. Should work?

crimbo79

Premium Gold
First Name
chris
I have my niece and nephews doing the same thing for me at the moment.

I bet atleast one will be a footballer of some sort.

Kids drawings as tattoos are always awesome as they are usually simple and meaningful and a good talking point.

-martin-

Premium Plus
First Name
Martin
Lovely!! Looove these kids drawings for tattoos! 😍 Agree about highlights 👍🏼

You can always colour the highlights and make highlights with white (or such) on the other side. Should work?

Yeah might be worth a try with the white ^_^

Kids drawings as tattoos are always awesome as they are usually simple and meaningful and a good talking point.
Haha indeed :D

This is my daughters contribution, she's 3 years old and this is apparently a heart :p

Not sure how I will approach the overlapping colors though, any suggestions? :)
Skärmavbild 2020-05-05 kl. 21.35.26.png

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
The overlapping must be a great practice on reelskin.

Other than that - I don't know how tattooing works, but in watercolour technique you usually avoid mixing them before, it's better to apply them in separate layers (exactly like your daughter did 😊). The more you mix colours before applying, the more they tend to get dull, is a general rule.

Last edited:

-martin-

Premium Plus
First Name
Martin
The overlapping must be a great practice on reelskin.

Other than that - I don't know how tattooing works, but in watercolour technique you usually avoid mixing them before, it's better to apply them in separate layers (exactly like your daughter did 😊). The more you mix colours before, the more they tend to get duller, is a general rule.
Good idea will do that, I happen to have a lot of Reelskin ;)

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
I would have 3 cups with the primary colors and then map out the "heart" with a stencil that has borders for each overlap. When it's time to fill the over lap go from the primary color and dip in the secondary without rinsing....they will meld a little and you'll get that color.

WickedWaco

Premium
First Name
Annika
View attachment 22445 View attachment 22446
Second attempt with riding the needle on real skin (my wife being the canvas), turned out better then I anticipated :p
Though the crooked text bothers me a bit, need to practice that A LOT more, I have shitty handwriting overall :ROFLMAO:

I feel like I could've faster hand movements and still have the same line thickness/quality and the color went in better compared to when I've ridden the tube, not sure why. Whipping and fading was much easier as well. Anyone with insight to this? ^_^

Oh and for you non swedes the text means "FUCK" or "FUCKING", we have 5 kids so I guess it's valid ;)

EDIT:
Needles used:
9RLT
7CM

About 7 volts for both lining and shading

Eternal inks:
Myke chanmbers redd cross
Lining black
Bermuda blue

Approx. 1hr
Really nice job. :)

Hahaha i had to reply because i know the word Knulla. Haha I think it is great and fits right as you mention you have 5 kids.

-martin-

Premium Plus
First Name
Martin
543F733C-4BB8-43DE-B3AA-5F464D62FE2D.jpeg
Another one on the wife yesterday, feels like I’m finally found the optimal needle hang for me, lines go in easily and I can move my hand in the speed I want, still some depth inconsistancies though and I really need to stretch a LOT more. Or at least I think that’s main reason the lines get a bit wobbly 🙈

9rl and 7cm needles, eternal inks and about 1,5 hours. 🙂

-martin-

Premium Plus
First Name
Martin
Skärmavbild 2020-06-23 kl. 08.09.13.png
Never posted this one, an old Sailor Jerry design also on my wife, not the best picture though.
This was an absolute pain to tattoo, the lines would't go in. At one point I thought what the fuck have I done? it was just tiny streaks and dots, cranked up the volts and nothing happened… 🙈
Had to go really slow and back and forth in small strokes for the lines to show up. It turned out pretty OK in the end, will go over it again someday and make some lighter shadows on the right most dice faces and fatten some of the dots. :)

7rl
7cm
time: forever

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
I can see you struggled somehow 🙂 The lines look like you had exactly the problems you described. Did you try to go slower, not only faster? I never tattooed a neck, I don't know what the skin is like there usually. Hopefully the others do 🙂

-martin-

Premium Plus
First Name
Martin
I can see you struggled somehow 🙂 The lines look like you had exactly the problems you described. Did you try to go slower, not only faster? I never tattooed a neck, I don't know what the skin is like there usually. Hopefully the others do 🙂
Yes I slowed my hand down to snail speed :p i'm using coils so did not slow the machine down but increased the volts to make it hit harder still nothing happened. Hard place to stretch too :S

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Aaaah okay 😊 Know NOTHING about coils, but on rotaries it's better to sometimes slow down the machine. I don't know if that's an option on coils.

I can imagine stretching must be hard! Choking risk 😂

-martin-

Premium Plus
First Name
Martin
Aaaah okay 😊 Know NOTHING about coils, but on rotaries it's better to sometimes slow down the machine. I don't know if that's an option on coils.

I can imagine stretching must be hard! Choking risk 😂
No, it's a bit trickier to adjust the speed on coils unfortunately :/

IMG_1438.jpg
A quick one tonight on my wife, another drawing by Mio ^_^
About 30min
7RL, 7CM (in hindsight I should probably have used an RS instead)

Will most likely have to touch up the lighter green when healed

-martin-

Premium Plus
First Name
Martin
90D2D097-ED33-4910-9A2B-AC1A2397D024.jpeg
Another small one on my wife from a while back that I forgot to post here.

some patches in the black and a couple of blowouts :(

7rl
7cm